Balance mod unit tips. Q&A

Talking with many of you this weekend someone brought up that it would be nice if I would share some of the changes and philosophies that you may not glean from the patch notes in a little more detail.

So Q&A time. Any questions about match ups? Combinations of match ups? Are you getting wrecked by a particular combination of units that seem OP?

Let’s start with the fundemental circle balance philosophy and work from there.

On the low side:
Fighters > frigates > vettes > fighters

On the high side although less pronounced:

Frigates > cruiser > DDs > frigates

This means that no 1 class of unit can stand on its own. Frigates stand the biggest chance, and different races have to be dealt with in different ways (Vaygr is the rebel here that says F.U. I have and anti vette fighter and an anti fighter frigate) but for the most part due to timing it stands true that if you try to play full frigates, you should lose to a swarmer.

One unit that was historically underpowered, avoided, but probably recieved the most love of any was the Hig Gunship. If you are a HW2 player who is constantly getting overwhelmed by HW1 fighters, give gunships a try, you won’t be disappointed.

So bring on the questions, and if you find something that should be working but isn’t, bring it up. Now is the time for tweaks and we are not done tweaking.

1 Like

Are corvettes supposed to be viable anti-subsystem units? Last night I was in a game where my opponent came after my carrier with maybe 20-25 multigun corvettes (a few of that group may have been heavies too), and they knocked out my engine subsystem very quickly (10-15 seconds). It seemed like it should have taken longer for that type of ship.

1 Like

What CC type? I can test tonight. Heavies hit caps harder then any other vettes, multis least so.

Taiidan. And yeah I figured that should be the case.

1 Like

[quote=“ratamaq, post:1, topic:566073, full:true”]
Let’s start with the fundemental circle balance philosophy and work from there.

On the low side:
Fighters > frigates > vettes > fighters[/quote]I like this.

[quote]
On the high side although less pronounced:

Frigates > cruiser > DDs > frigates[/quote]
I was wondering if the more detailed aspect of this would be like below, with a larger change made at (3):

1. Bombers >>> sub-systems
  2. Bomber/laser vette > cruiser (ants swarming the giant scorpion)
  3. cruiser > DD > Frigate, and
  4. DD + bombers >> frigate + bombers >> (cruiser - subsystems)

Leading to:

[quote]
This means that no 1 class of unit can stand on its own. Frigates stand the biggest chance, and different races have to be dealt with in different ways (Vaygr is the rebel here that says F.U. I have and anti vette fighter and an anti fighter frigate) but for the most part due to timing it stands true that if you try to play full frigates, you should lose to a swarmer.
[/quote]Have those X-wings and Y-wings (bombers) take out critical systems, and make that a substantial blow to the effectiveness of the top predator (cruisers).

1 Like