Balance of this game is stupidly unfair

Is anyone having extreme difficulties with this game, for example, on Athenas I’m feeling overall swamped while grinding for the huge Maliwan-guy-ball Boss Fight, but if I don’t grind I get one shot by him, and despite being level 14 I still feel that Traunt is a ■■■■■■■■ boss fight overall, since he’s still killing me in about 2/3 hits.

The balance of this game is absolutely just nonexistant, nothing feels fair like it did in BL2, and it’s making me quite sad, as someone who had their hopes up, not to mention how linear it is and how unlikeable the Capri-Sun twins are, compared to Handsome jack

12 Likes

Greetings… this is bit fustrating until level 30-35 later you can set chaos level to 3 and play with friends or random, tons of legendaries.

Cheers,
-Albi

1 Like

The game is definitely a lot harder but I guess that’s why there’s an option for an easy mode :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

I’m not having any issues. Stay in motion. Keep track of where weaker enemies are so you can get that second wind. Make sure you have a beefy weapon that can hit hard crits. You’ll be fine.

11 Likes

The character you are playing and how you set up your skill points are something to pay attention to. Also, you need to weed out the bad gear from the good.
Some weapons and shields are really good, and may several levels.
Others may not. Try to keep your gear levelled closely with you.

Capt Truant is tough, but not bad once you figure out the mechanics.
The fireballs will kill you quickly, but you do have the opportunity to shoot them out of the air.

Good luck and hope it gets better for you.

3 Likes

I’ve had no issues at all. You can always do side quests for a bit to level up and get better gear; pretty standard RPG stuff.

4 Likes

Oh. Wish we’d tried to shoot them. We got him on try two anyway :joy:

2 Likes

Not sure if you are new to Borderlands or not but here is a rule of thumb: if someone throws something, or shoots something bigger than a bullet, you can usually shoot it out of the air, including rockets :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I was a Gaige main. That just wasn’t worth trying half the time :joy::joy:

4 Likes

So far every boss i just try to abuse terrain or somesuch just like previous games…found a spot i can stand in for most of the fight and not get hit by traunt

4 Likes

Can’t, the Katagawa ■■■■■■■■ ball I’m currently getting pissed off at is on his own with no-one else

2 Likes

I am nowhere near new but never found myself getting this stuck in the first 3 BL games, especially to the point where I keep getting downed shortly (as in 3-4 seconds) after getting a second wind

2 Likes

I didn’t have any problems regarding the difficulty so far.

1 Like

That’s when you keep moving.

I died once, then, after getting a better feel for the arena, was able to move and shoot without a problem.

If you’re way underleveled maybe its a problematic fight. You want to run it together? A second VH to get you up if you go down?

2 Likes

Level 14 seems low for that Maliwan ball boss? I think I was like level 18.

There shouldn’t be any “grinding” necessary. You’re meant to do at least some side quests so that you gain enough levels for the story.

4 Likes

I did it as lvl 15 but I am on easy mode, becuse I know I am horrid at all shooter games hehe.

3 Likes

I’m kind of having the complete opposite experience. On Normal mode everything is just too easy
The hardest thing about the game is the rare boss with an unusual gimmick that’s hard to predict. Every other enemy goes down like nothing, even the massive maliwan arbalests telegraph their attacks so obviously you’d have to be standing still to not avoid them easily.
I actually started avoiding most side quests to keep myself a level under the story mission so that I still might go into ffyl once every 15 minutes.
In essence it feels like playthrough 1 on bl1 again, but without the need to keep yourself leveled.

K-ball is all shields and rockets. The key is to sprint around the arena and pop off shots when he appears and start moving again when he starts shooting. I had the benefit of picking moze so I could tank a little bit of his attacks, but Iron Bear only lasts so long. Shock weapons and cautious criticals brought me through the rest of the fight

4 Likes

Not trying to be a jerk, but I’ve gotten all 4 characters from 1 to 22 on normal difficulty without issue.

**The main website’s build-maker is down so I can’t share starter builds :frowning: **

I think that taking a look at your character build for leveling, as well as thinking carefully about your weapon / grenade choices will benefit you a ton. Try these out:

Moze: (focus on reduced mech cooldown + vanquisher rocket pods. Grizzled lets you massively reduce your mech’s cooldown, while Stainless Steel + Deadlines + Security Bear give your mech a much longer duration and durability for very few skill points)

Zane: (Barrier + SNTNL, use All-Rounder + Deterence Field and nothing can touch you. Plus you can pick up the barrier and walk into enemies, staggering them)

Amara: (Elemental Damage is king, get Eternal Fist + Allure. Be sure to switch between Fire, Shock, and Corrosive if you run into enemies with big resistances)

FL4K: (Gamma Burst + 5/5 Who Rescued Who? + Atomic Aroma augment + Endurance augment = absurd power in combat. Get Ferocity over Go For The Eyes. Great Horned Skag and Eridian Skag are way tougher than the basic Skag.)

2 Likes

I am level 16 and farming that ball because for some reason. I decided that learning him solo will make my co-op game better.

His Health Gate Missile Arms can be blown off. My first weapon in the fight is a Tediore Shot Gun

1 Like

I’m actually finding it easier than BL2. That also had some nasty difficulty spikes for new players, when I was new to the game I found e.g. Captain Flynt, W4R-D3N and Bloodwing very frustrating (don’t get me started about Dukino’s Mom). Or think Hyperion Slaughter round 5.

As for Traunt, I don’t know, didn’t find him difficult at all–the hardest so far was Killavolt, but even him I beat on first try. Don’t know, maybe this has to do with my build… I’m playing Brawl Amara and have heavily invested in health regen and shield recharge delay, and use shields that go well with that. Haven’t tried other builds or characters yet, but so far it seems actually more balanced to me than BL2.

2 Likes