Battleborn Day 4 art contest!

(Natsume Ryu) #62

If y’all like the photos of either my Mike or Caldarius, they’re both taken by: https://www.facebook.com/ThePolarBearPhotography/ :smiley:

1 Like

(Benedict's Glorious Wingspan) #63

OSCAR MIKE VS. BATTLEBORN DAY 4

Oscar Mike runs into the mess hall and throws a bunch of crayons into the air, some of which land in his allies’ meals. They sigh and proceed to pick the crayons out, except for Boldur, who attempts to eat the crayons, then spits them out with a look of disgust on his face.

OSCAR MIKE:
Bros! Guess what’s happening!

THORN:
You. Ruining lunch. Again.

Thorn stands up with her plate, takes it to the recycling vent, and dumps it out.

OSCAR MIKE:
NO BROS!!! IT’S BATTLEBORN DAY 4!!! ARE YOU GUYS AWARE WE’LL HAVE BEEN TOGETHER FOR TWO WHOLE YEARS NEXT WEEK?

CALDARIUS:
Painfully.

OSCAR MIKE:
GUYS, WE SHOULD THROW A PARTY!

THORN:
You mean like the party Toby already announced six weeks ago?

OSCAR MIKE:
Oh. He’s already planning something?

MONTANA:
Dude, he’s had posters up for like, a month. Did a real good job with 'em too. I mean look at this, he captured my likeness EXACTLY!

THORN: (Rolling her eyes)
Sure. Whatever.

OSCAR MIKE:
Well what’s he planning, then? I was thinking about doing an art competition!

REYNA: (Sighing)
Lots of finger foods, all day holosims and holomatches, a scavenger hunt, and, oh yeah, an ART COMPETITION. Seriously, how did you miss the posters? He even hung them up on the ceilings in the bathrooms.

BENEDICT:
Actually, I did that just to be a smartass.

KLEESE:
YOU did that?

BENEDICT:
Uh… yeah…

KLEESE:
Why, that was SURPRISINGLY effective. And useful after the toilet paper hit the double red stripes…

There are nods of agreement from everyone in the room.

BENEDICT:
Wow. Great. Glad y’all appreciated my half-assed minimal contribution.

KLEESE:
Memo to self… bring up biological waste excretion harassment campaigns at our next ad sales meeting.

OSCAR MIKE:
So… are you all going to participate?

THORN:
The sign up sheet is on the wall.

BENEDICT:
But yer, probably better off not participatin’ cuz, my entry’s gonna be the best.

KLEESE:
Really? YOU’RE participating? My my, you’re just full of surprises today, aren’t you?

OSCAR MIKE:
Sweet! What’s the theme?

MIKO:
What is your favorite thing about the Battleborn?

OSCAR MIKE:
Aw hell yeah! Wait… what IS my favorite thing about the Battleborn?

Oscar Mike stands awkwardly at the center of the room, seemingly frozen in place in thought. The other Battleborn alternate between staring at him and finishing their meals.

BENEDICT:
Well… as much as I wanna stay here an’ watch clone boy’s lil’ existential crisis unfold, I got sh*t to do. See y’all.

Later, in Oscar Mike’s quarters…

OSCAR MIKE:
What IS my favorite thing about the Battleborn?

NOVA:
Wow. You’re really serious about this aren’t you?

OSCAR MIKE:
I guess. I never really thought about it before! I was having so much fun with my bros and just BEING a Battleborn that I never really pointed to anything and said, “That’s my favorite!”

NOVA:
Well my favorite things about you guys are the juicy salacious details I get to read about your personal lives… and the fact that whenever I randomly throw an uncommon word from the thesaurus into my spoken vocabulary tracks, Shayne peppers it into her speech for about four weeks trying to sound sophisticated.

OSCAR MIKE:
I DO like learning more about my friends.

NOVA:
Of course you do. Everyone does. But that’s MY favorite thing. Go get your own favorite thing, poser.

OSCAR MIKE:
Rath, what’s your favorite thing about the Battleborn?

RATH:
Slaying my enemies one by one until I have the chance to rescue our beloved Empress Lenore from the varelsi, or die trying.

OSCAR MIKE:
So… killing things?

Rath stands, offended.

RATH:
No real warrior truly enjoys the act of killing! It is the purpose behind the act that gives one strength.

OSCAR MIKE:
Oh I get it, so the best thing about being a Battleborn is rescuing the princess from the castle!

RATH:
What! No! That’s… oh… go ask someone else.

BEATRIX:
Hands down the easy access to so many varieties of rare specimens! Also, free candy.

She pops a hard candy into her mouth and begins rolling it around with her tongue with a look of utter bliss. This continues for some time. Oscar Mike kind of, sort of, just walks out awkwardly.

ISIC:
Ahahahahahahahahahaha… the rare instances when I’m allowed to engage in legal wanton murder, of course! The rest of the time it totally sucks, because, you know, I’m basically a slave. Speaking of which, could you hit the “release” button on that control collar around my neck?

Oscar Mike looks at the sticky note with cartoon skulls drawn on it hastily attached to ISIC’s control collar. “OSCAR! DON’T PUSH THE BUTTON! BAD!”

OSCAR MIKE:
Uh… I don’t know if I should…

ISIC:
Oh, are you reading that silly old note? It was left there by Evil Mike. From the future. You don’t want to help Evil Mike do you?

OSCAR MIKE:
Well no, but it’s signed “Kleese.”

ISIC:
Plot twist! Kleese IS Evil Mike. Now hurry up and take it the hell off fella!

KLEESE: (Over the comm)
OSCAR, GET THE HELL OUT OF ISIC’S ISOLATION CELL, NOW!!!

OSCAR MIKE:
What’s your favorite thing about the Battleborn?

Whiskey lets loose a loud disgusted grunt and slams the door in his face. Oscar takes a note.

OSCAR MIKE:
Loud… animal… noises… THANKS BRO!

DEANDE:
Oscar, I think you’re missing the point of this exercise entirely. The goal here should be for you to write what’s special about the Battleborn to you.

OSCAR MIKE:
But I don’t know what’s special about the Battleborn to me! I just love everything about it! Except Benedict, but even he’s not so bad on barbecue night! Even if he does get upset when I bring hot wings.

DEANDE:
I do not believe I am making myself clear. Let me pose this to you in another way.

OSCAR MIKE:
Wait… won’t Whiskey get upset?

DEANDE:
Huh?
(Then with sudden realization…)
POSE! Not “propose!”

OSCAR MIKE:
Huh?

DEANDE: (Frustrated)
Oh… look. Think about it this way. You are a clone bred from thousands of others. You were not designed to be anything but a naive soldier.

OSCAR MIKE: (Disappointed)
Oh.

DEANDE:
But, you are not just a naive soldier any more. You have grown. You have formed friendships, interests of your own, you are a unique creation in the universe.

OSCAR MIKE:
Like Whiskey’s butterscotch pickle smoothies!

DEANDE:
Uh… yes… I… suppose…

OSCAR MIKE:
Those things are the best!

DEANDE:
Yes… well… let’s roll with that. Yes. You are one of Whiskey’s… er… delicious… butterscotch pickle smoothies, and as such, you have a unique perspective on the universe.

OSCAR MIKE:
Gotcha! So I need to be more like a smoothie! Go with the flow!

DEANDE: (Exasperated)
You need to be yourself! You need to sit down and think about what the Battleborn mean to you! Art is an expression of what YOU feel inside! It shouldn’t be about what everyone else thinks! It should be about what YOU think!

OSCAR MIKE:
But I don’t know what I think!

DEANDE:
Well then, I guess you’re not a butterscotch pickle smoothie after all.

Oscar Mike lies on the floor in his quarters with a box of crayons at his side, sighing and trying to figure out what to draw.

OSCAR MIKE:
Aw man… the party’s tomorrow and I STILL don’t have a picture! They’re all going to think I’m such a loser…

BENEDICT:
Totally already think that.

OSCAR MIKE:
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN MY QUARTERS!

BENEDICT:
I ain’t in yer quarters. Ya left yer comms on from third watch when ya played tic tac toe with Montana.

Oscar Mike laughs.

OSCAR MIKE:
Yeah, that was pretty awesome. He got all surprised when I deployed my secret weapon, a TRIANGLE!

BENEDICT: (After a pause)
G****mmit Oscar…

OSCAR MIKE:
Yeah! And he was all like, “Dude! It’s exes and ohs!” And I was all like, “Yeah bro! NO ONE EXPECTS THE TRIANGLE!” It was awesome!

BENEDICT:
Yep. An’ I see ya lost that game. Great. I’m gonna flick the comms off now.

The comms snap off and Oscar Mike lays on the floor, smiling under his helmet. With sudden inspiration, he rolls over, grabs a crayon from the box, and begins drawing his picture.

MELLKA:
Oh my god, these shrimp rolls are AMAZING!

The Battleborn stand gathered in the mess hall, now decorated with flowers, Eldrid plants, Jennerit banners, LLC light makers, and streamers. Orendi sits in a corner pouting because her “decorations” were cleaned up hours ago and sent to biohazard recycling. A large group stands near the finger foods and beer prepared by the various Battleborn for the food competition being held later. Whiskey and Deande silently sneak off into the kitchen during a slow moment while no one’s paying attention.

ALANI:
You really like them?

MELLKA:
Hell yeah I like 'em! You should do snacks more often!

ALANI:
Oh, thanks… after the last time I made kelp cookies…

MELLKA:
Yeah, don’t make those again. But these, THESE are great!

Alani blushes and quickly covers the tray of kelp cookies she prepared with the end of the tablecloth. Reyna taps the microphone.

REYNA:
Hey, judges for the art competition! Get over to the table now!

Alani, hearing the call, rushes away from the buffet and Montana, who was preparing maple bacon flapjacks on his minigun, flips his last batch onto Ernest’s plate and heads for the judges’ table.

ERNEST:
Hey, wait a minute, puke! These aren’t done yet! HEY! Dammit…

He flips out a grenade and unscrews the safety cap.

ERNEST:
This’ll either flash cook lunch or blow up in my face. 50/50. I like those odds.

PHOEBE:
Mellka… your face is looking a little red…

MELLKA:
I’ve had ONE drink… back off.

At the judges’ table…

REYNA:
Alright. Montana, I just want you to know, your wood carving would’ve won if you weren’t a judge.

MONTANA:
Ahhh… it’s cool. I’d rather judge the competition than participate. I like being in charge. Hey, why isn’t Toby helping us judge?

An explosion goes off in the back corner of the room near the snack table.

ERNEST:
SUCCESS!!!

Reyna shakes her head.

REYNA:
He’s busy. He wanted to do something special for the art competition. Alani, thanks for being a judge.

MINREC appears on the monitor.

MINREC:
AND I’M HERE TOO BECAUSE OF COURSE I’M A JUDGE!!!

REYNA:
And that’s three. Now if Toby would just hurry up and waddle his little ass in here…

Toby rushes in carrying a big box, red cheeked and out of breath.

TOBY:
Oh god! Sorry you guys! It took me longer to finish than expected! Sorry! You didn’t start without me did you?

REYNA:
No Toby. We’ve been waiting for you.

BENEDICT:
I DID!

Benedict pulls the cover off a full sized framed portrait.

BENEDICT:
If everyone’ll direct their attention to me, and the WINNER of the art competition, cuz I am NOT goin’ after munchkin, you will find my latest masterpiece… August Benedict Jr., A Collage, In Selfies.

A large collage of selfies meticulously cut and pasted all over the canvas to form a giant portrait of Benedict when looked at from a distance appears before the Battleborn. Benedict turns on a backlight that makes the selfie collage look like it has an ethereal glow, and taps his phone so it’s accompanied by an angelic choir sound effect.

BENEDICT:
Beautiful, gorgeous, amazing. Notice how the subtle contours of each individual image caress yer eyes so that the only thing ya can think about when lookin’ at it anywhere is… damn. That… is a sexy ass rocket hawk. Comprised of 1,567 individual selfies meticulously chosen from my extensive FaceBird gallery to capture the best Augustus Benedict moments snapped in the last two years. We don’t need to see the other entries. Trash can’s over there. I win. Game over.

Benedict reluctantly looks away from his “masterpiece” to see everyone completely ignoring him and gathering around Toby’s box. He grunts and turns back to his portrait.

BENEDICT:
Uncultured apes. Ain’t none of y’all appreciates TRUE art.

TOBY:
Ok guys… to commemorate this AWESOME Battleborn art competition, I wanted to make something EXTRA SPECIAL! Whiskey, hit the lights! Whiskey?

Toby looks around for Whiskey Foxtrot but can’t seem to find him.

NOVA:
Oh I’ll do it. I always do it. God forbid any of you would ever be bothered to push a button.

The lights lower, and Toby pushes a button on the small box. Lasers jump out from the box with an awesome retro video game beat and perform a laser light show of each individual Battleborn showing off a taunt and fighting together in a massive battle with the varelsi. Each individual Battleborn is treated to a close-up of their best kills and has a shining moment of badassery.

MONTANA:
Dude, that’s awesome!

EL DRAGÒN:
El Dragòn loves the part with El Dragòn! He even shows off my signature move!

The Battleborn gaze in wonder and awe at the full five minute spectacle, except for Benedict, who uses the light on his phone to admire his own work in the dark. Everyone claps at the end of this brilliant display and the lights resume normal illumination.

REYNA:
That was great Toby!

SHAYNE:
Yeah, great job man!

ISIC:
I especially liked the part where I ripped that thrall’s head off.

MONTANA:
Yeah, that was great, but uh… well… I hate to be the one to point this one out, but, where… where was Benedict?

Toby grins.

TOBY:
Oh I made a separate one for him.

Toby whips out a smaller second box, where he concealed it is anyone’s guess (but Reyna saw where he grabbed it from, facepalmed, and muttered to herself in response), and throws it on the table. A second laser light show begins, this one plays an over-the-top comical cartoon theme as the lasers display brutal, graphic deaths and dismemberments of his buteonen nemesis. Toby looks up at the ceiling with a giant satisfied grin, as do ISIC and Orendi. Everyone else just sort of shifts uncomfortably as the spectacle continues. For seven minutes.

MONTANA:
Uh… Benny… ya wanna take a look at this?

Benedict, mesmerized by his own portrait, refuses to turn around and simply flips everyone off as he continues admiring his own art. The light show ends, and Orendi and ISIC clap enthusiastically. The others slow clap uncomfortably.

ISIC:
I loved it! 10 out of 10! I say we forego the other entries and declare the winner right now!

ALANI:
Well, uh… that… first one was still pretty cool, right everyone!?

The others nod in agreement, trying to forget about the horrific, slow, graphic, laser light liquefaction of their arrogant ally they all just witnessed.

SHAYNE:
Yeah… uh… that first one was great!

MONTANA:
Well I think we’ve got a strong contender for the winner of this competition!

The others nod in agreement. Toby blushes.

TOBY:
Oh, well… I’m… thank you… but… uh… I’m… I’m not participating you guys. See… I knew my entry was gonna be really good, and I didn’t wanna make anyone feel bad by putting it in the competition!

A number of Battleborn let out a collective “Awwww…” Toby freaks out.

TOBY:
HEY!!! DON’T “AWWW” ME!!! THIS WAS AN ACT OF MERCY ■■■■■■■■!!! I RULE YOU!!!

Reyna taps him hard with her foot.

TOBY:
Oh, ■■■■. Sorry for cursing. Oh, ■■■■! I did it again! OH SH—

MONTANA:
Alright, so we’ve got Benny’s art. We had Orendi’s…

ORENDI:
I MADE A SCALE MODEL OF TOBY USING PARTS FROM OUR FALLEN ENEMIES AND YOU BUTTCAKES DISQUALIFIED IT!!!

MONTANA:
Yeah. That was unsanitary. But… love that effort. Orendi.

ORENDI:
ORENDI IS THE REAL WINNER!

Mellka steps forward with a swollen face, wheezing uncontrollably.

MELLKA:
Oh god… I… I think I ate too many shrimp rolls. Oh… maybe one more…

SHAYNE:
Uhhh…

Miko grabs her. Beatrix walks up behind her with a medical scanner.

BEATRIX:
Well. Looks like someone’s got a shellfish allergy.

MELLKA:
What… no I don’t… I just… I just might have had maybe one too many…

BEATRIX:
Hmm… can you feel it when I do this?

Beatrix jabs a spindly finger claw into Mellka’s face. Mellka slowly reaches up and touches her now puffed out and swollen cheeks.

MELLKA:
Oooookkkaaaayyyyy… I’m… I should probably…

Mellka passes out. Miko grabs her arms and slings her over its back.

MIKO:
We must be going now. Please, try the Eldrid Spore Tea. We made it ourselves.

Kleese spits tea all over his battle throne console as Miko, Beatrix, and Mellka leave the mess hall.

MONTANA:
Alright… uh… so did anyone else have an entry?

OSCAR MIKE:
Oooh! OH!! I’ve got an entry!

Oscar Mike pulls a slightly wrinkled piece of paper out of his pocket. On the paper, there are 31 stick figures smiling and holding hands under a bright yellow sun. He proudly shows off his work to everyone.

OSCAR MIKE:
My favorite thing about being a Battleborn is getting to hang out with all of you guys! My bros! You’re all awesome! Even Benedict, when you catch him in the right mood!

Benedict continues to ignore everyone, staring entranced at his art while flipping them all off.

ALANI:
Wow… uh… that’s… um… that’s great. That’s just great. Good… good job Oscar.

MONTANA:
Yeah, uh, great job buddy.

MINREC:
THAT PAPER IS MADE FROM 100% RECYCLED MATERIALS!!! I DECLARE OSCAR MIKE THE WIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR!!!

ALANI:
Well hold on, do we have any other entries?

MONTANA:
Anyone else?

BOLDUR:
BOLDUR WANTS TO GET TO DRINKING COMPETITION!!! SEE IF YOU CAN DRINK MIGHTY ELDRID WARRIOR UNDER TABLE!!!

A number of others nod their assent and make their way back to the finger foods and liquor. Alani and Montana look at each other.

MINREC:
I DECLARE THE WINNER TO BE OSCAR MIKE FOR HIS SOULFUL CONTRIBUTION TO RECYCLING!!!

MONTANA:
Okay… well… uh… I guess the winner by default… is… uh… Oscar Mike.

Oscar Mike gasps.

OSCAR MIKE:
REALLY!!???

MONTANA:
Yeah, uh, step forward and claim your bro sticker.

Oscar Mike steps with pride up to the judging table with his drawing and Alani puts a little shiny red sticker on it that reads: “1st Place.”

ORENDI:
Awwwwwwwww… Orendi should have won.

OSCAR MIKE:
Oh, thank you… thank you so much you guys… it really means a lot to me…

MONTANA:
You earned it buddy.

OSCAR MIKE: (Clearly sobbing beneath his helmet)
I have to go show Whiskey, and Deande!

Oscar Mike rushes off towards the kichen.

OSCAR MIKE: (From the kitchen)
Whiskey! Deande! Check this out!

Deande shrieks.

OSCAR MIKE:
HEY, I LIKE LOUD ANIMAL NOISES TOO!!! MOOOOOOOO!!! THAT’S A DUCK!!!

WHISKEY FOXTROT:
G****MMIT OSCAR, GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!!!

Happy Battleborn Day y’all.

12 Likes

(Penguin connoisseur.) #64

That story was great! Happy Battleborn Day #4, my friend and RP frienemesis/mentor! I love this community! I love Battleborn! I love this booze I found!

I LOVE YOU ALL!!

Cute, drunken hiccup.

(Joking! I’m only drunk… On love!)

3 Likes

(How much time do we have?) #65

I see what you did there… :+1:

3 Likes

(All units be advised-) #66

Gulp Well uh, this is my first post to the forums so I have no idea what I’m doing. But I wanted to enter the art contest (after a couple years of not drawing at all >.<) So here it goes…
My favorite thing about Battleborn consists of many things. The gameplay, the design, the community… However, the most important thing to me is the characters of the game. I love all of them, they’re all fun to play and unique in their own way. However…one of them specifically holds a special place in my heart.

And that would be Oscar Mike. As soon as I played as him when I first played BB, I knew he would become my favorite character. He’s hilarious, very friendly, and naive in a very…well, endearing way. >///< He wants to be bros with everyone but truly…I think he is the best bro of them all.

Happy BB Day everyone :smiley:
#Art4Solus

14 Likes

(chromerino) #67

So uhh my art skills are below average but here is my try at the rogue symbol D:

#Art4Solus
Happy bbday :smiley:

10 Likes

(Boyonce) #68

I used 2 different lining styles but we don’t talk about it… Not easy to try new things when you’re drawing on an iPad mini lol

15 Likes

(Kayahhtick) #69

No love for Alani here?

0 Likes

(All units be advised-) #70

I was actually planning on drawing Alani alongside Mike but didn’t have the time :frowning: He took me way too long to draw/shade.

0 Likes

(Jennerit Supremacist) #71

Don’t forget to include the hashtag #Art4Solus so bot can find your submission.

0 Likes

(Kiliodine) #72

#Art4Solus

13 Likes

(Penguin connoisseur.) #73

TOBY!!

^My favorite submission so far! :heart:

5 Likes

(Benedict's Glorious Wingspan) #74

Cam, that hurt my ears and it’s just written text. How is that even possible?

4 Likes

(Ennkg) #75

Battle Born Girls

#Art4Solus

20 Likes

(Penguin connoisseur.) #76

Uh… Love. Looks around shiftily.

1 Like

(Magnus Whisperer || ISIC's s.o.) #77

Hey Battleborn Day artists! There’s just 12 hours left to submit your entry after which the contest will be closed for judging, and the winners announced within 24 hours from that. Submit your works via Twitter or by posting them here, and remember to include the hashtag #Art4Solus!

1 Like

(Brute 912) #78

I’m digging @ennkg artwork right now. Love them girls. :blush:

1 Like

(Flamingwings) #79

Here’s my work, decided to do it on the best character in the game!

#Art4Solus

11 Likes

(Velocitas est Vita) #80

Almost certainly my favourite thing. Because whilst that one 360-crossmap-wallbounce grenade kill I hit one time might be also a favourite thing, I dunno if trickshot clips count as art.

Thorn, Banksy style, done the slow way in photoshop. Not the best, but still kinda cool.

Also wish Battleborn had a graffiti option. Top one’s the final submission, by the by.

memes

Edit: #Art4Solus

12 Likes

(Chibilovett) #81

Not the greatest thing I’ve ever done, and it was a bit rushed to hit the time limit as well as my first serious drawing in over a year, but here’s little Phoebe! She’s definitely my favorite and I was in love with her before I even unlocked her…partially because we share a lot of similarities. :grin: And I always loved the relationship between her and Marquis. He seems almost like an overprotective father at times, even if she was a little hellion like in her voice lore, and I love imagining what her childhood was like with him. So here she is with a little plush owl that I imagine he would have given her to ease her little mind about varellsee before Hoodini. :blue_heart:

#Art4Solus

12 Likes