Battleborn vs. Borderlands: Are they similar? (Don't roast the noob)

I think I took a different path than most people here: I picked up BB in the open beta and fell in love.
I’ve never once played Borderlands.
But, after playing Battleborn and loving it so much, I’d like to try Borderlands. Are they similar gameplay wise and writing wise? What I really like about BB is it’s quirky humor. I’m assuming that is present in BL.
Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks, y’all!

1 Like

Stop reading the forums and go and play them, like, now :slight_smile:

9 Likes

That is the main feature of borderlands so yep, you should enjoy them.

3 Likes

Borderlands has the same quirky humor, art style, good story. There isn’t as many characters usually but they have a lot more build options for each. Each character is strong on their own with their own ways to heal themselves so great solo or with friends. If you like the pve in BB you will most likely like borderlands even more. I have all borderlands with every dlc if that tells you anything :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I realise my reply wasn’t really feature filled. For me Battleborn is just crap, it tries to channel the Borderlands humour and fails. The gameplay is awful, and I just don’t see why it exists.
THAT SAID, if BB was the first thing you played, who knows? You may think Borderlands isn’t that good. But I would recommend you play them, and do so in order. Borderlands 1 is hard to go to after playing 2 when you don’t have nostalgia tinting the experience that lovely shade of rose :slight_smile:

1 Like

BLASPHEMY! Borderlands 1 had my favorite siren of all. For that alone it’s worth playing. Though I will admit to missing my mechromancer :wink:

Dot burst assasin… wish bb had one…

2 Likes

If you like the story missions in Battleborn, you will find some similarities in Borderlands. I don’t know your platform, but if it’s Xbox1 or PS4, you are best off getting the Handsome Collection so you can play BL2. If you have a PC, you might consider BL1, but BL2 is considered the jewel of the franchise.

The main difference is the speed and intensity of the combat. BL2 is much faster and much more intense than BB PvE. It’s much more fun imho. There is no real PvP ■■■■■■■ in BL2, ignore the silly dueling system, it’s best used for weird Raid Boss kills. There are still a number of people who play BL2 online, but unfortunately the prevalence of modders, glitchers, and loot grabbers can make it more fun to play solo. That said, I’ve met some awesome people playing BL2.

In addition to the speed and intensity of the combat, the other main feature of BL2 is a really fun loot, progression, and skill allocation system allowing for numerous builds and setups. People are still discovering new ways to play it years later. That said, it’s starts off REALLY slow. Before you really get going with it, it will seem like the most generic FPS you’ve ever played. But give it a little time, get into level twenty or so, not that hard, get your first legendary or two and it just takes off from there. The combat at the higher levels is so insanely fun and chaotic. The characters are quite varied between each other and can be built in numerous ways.

3 Likes

Borderlands has shields, real shields for real boys and girls.
Just ask Maya :smile:

2 Likes

And every character gets one! With a vast selection and abilities

1 Like

It also has permanent, real leveling-up. And no marketplace.

2 Likes

I do miss keeping my levels… had to bring that up didn’t ya. I had convinced myself otherwise

No, Battleborn is better.

1 Like

Proves Toby is cute but not all that intelligent :smile:

4 Likes

Now don’t pick on the little fella he can’t help being adorable

1 Like

Now was this part really necessary?

2 Likes

Just like a Borderlands fan to take things to a personal level…

Flagged. :smiling_imp: Just kidding. :smirk:

Brderlands 1 has darker humor and is my favorite, though you’d probably like the the second more if you like Battleborn.

3 Likes

Commandant Steele?

:dukewhistle:

No it wasn’t.

As a fan of both series, if you liked BB’s humor, you’ll more than likely enjoy Borderlands. Just remember they do play a bit differently, even the three BL titles differ from each other in various ways. You still get the FPS viewpoint and skill and gear systems, but they’re both different between the series. Borderlands 1 is a good place to start so you’ll understand what a vault is and why there are people trying to open it. It’ll also explain who those former vault hunters are in BL 2. Story-wise it’s BL->BL:TPS (The Presequel)->BL 2, but gameplay-wise it’s BL->BL2->BL:TPS. You’re not required to play TPS before BL 2, it just goes into some backstory about how the villain of #2 came to be. I would actually recommend playing BL 2 before TPS because of how TPS is “told” unless you want BL 2’s story basically spoiled for you.

2 Likes

I miss my dot burst assasin Lilith ;(

My sirens name is Brick and she is the prettiest

2 Likes

Yes, yes she is. We’re talking about Maya, right?

1 Like