Battleborn Weekend art contest!

Hi there fellas! We’re glad to announce another Battleborn art contest, which is part of the Battleborn Weekend community event! Just earlier we passed the 3rd anniversary of Battleborn and invite everyone to join us to celebrate the game and the community in a creative way. The art contest is open for everyone and the theme for this year is:

"Holiday at the end of the world"
The end might be near but that shouldn’t stop the brave people of Solus from having bit of time off to calm the nerves. Create a visual piece of your favorite heroes, and/or villains, relaxing.

The submitted works will be judged by yours truly, and there will be five winners in total.
1st place: A signed limited edition Battleborn lithograph + 7 Legendary Loot Pack SHiFT codes!
2nd place: 5 SHiFT codes
3rd place: 4 SHiFT codes
Two runner ups: 2 SHiFT codes each

We encourage everyone to take part as the aim is to have fun, and just by participating everyone wins an art contest exclusive Bro Certificate badge + poem by Oscar Mike (written by Jim Foronda!)

The deadline for submissions is May 31st at midnight PDT! All visual mediums are welcome, and you can submit multiple pieces but only the latest will be judged. To enter the contest, please post your artwork in this thread or on Twitter and attach the hashtag #Art4Solus in your comment so that your piece will show up in the art gallery on @lowlines’ site.

Oh! lowlines has asked me to tell people who are posting their submissions in this thread not to use emojis in their post because his bot will pick that up instead of your art to display in the gallery! :joy:

Please check the all guidelines and rules below, and don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions that you may have.

We’re looking forward to seeing many creative creations, and wish good luck to everyone!

Full art contest guidelines and rules!
  1. The theme is “Holiday at the end of the world”.
  2. The deadline is May 31st at midnight PDT.
  3. To participate, submit your work in this thread, or post it on Twitter and attach the hashtag #Art4Solus.
  4. Don’t break the forum rules or the game’s rating with your entry. That means no NSFW.
  5. Your entry must be created for this contest. This means no old or previously created pieces.
  6. You’re encouraged to create in any format you want, e.g. writing or composing, but only visual pieces will be judged.
  7. Only Battleborn art is accepted, no crossovers.
  8. Event organizers aren’t allowed to participate.

The Battleborn Weekend community event is supported by Gearbox and runs on May 17-19. The hub for the event can be found on lowlines’ site over here, and be sure to follow the organizers on Twitter and visit the forum thread to stay on top of the news! Also check out the official Gearbox announcement to see what you’ll get just by logging in!

4 Likes

Hello there, let me introduce my piece called…ehm…“The delicious salty Italian tears teatime by the ocean and volcano, and classic Italian dinner”
I dedicate this piece to my favorite Italian frienemies Zventrapapere, MrConcubino and CIABBYMASTER IMPERATOR SLAYER. I wanted to do a taunt illustration like last year (“tea ceremony”) so I took an inspiration from a Marquis taunt “steep price”, but changed it to fit the theme (and I don’t play Marquis that much so I changed it to fit my playstyle :smirk:). To clarify, this is Attikus on holiday in Italy. I wanted to draw a background that represents Italy and it was actually sarcazzas idea to draw a vulkano, since there are some in Italy, I think…and it suits Atti too. Aaaaand if anyone from the eu 10mans is reading this, I dare you to outdraw me :sunglasses:
sincerelly yours
terrajoul

#Art4Solus

5 Likes

I ran a poll regarding the deadline, and due to popular vote on extending the contest’s deadline, it will be changed to May 31st! The theme and everything else stays the same. Hopefully this will help some folks who wanted to participate! :two_hearts:

3 Likes

Poolside barbecue at the end of the world. #Art4Solus

5 Likes

Ooh, I really like your piece! I love the way the blue stands out without being overpowering.

Plus, it has Toby in it, which automatically makes it a masterpiece to me. Nice job!

3 Likes

Thanks, I wanted to fit toby without his mech, was gonna have him as a novelty life ring for marquis, but I used his owl instead

3 Likes

I didn’t even notice the Houdini swim ring! Haha, that’s awesome! I like it even more now!

EDIT:
Also love the Varelsi on the spit. :joy:

3 Likes

Yeah I tried to add a few touches, like mikes’ apron and boldurs graffiti etc

3 Likes

Folks, the art contest has been closed for new submissions, thank you all for the fun pieces! I will aim to announce the winners on Monday both here and on my Twitter.

Also, if you’re craving for more badges or Oscar Mike poems for your Bro Certificate, using the codes “battlefam” and “poetryisstupid” will unlock you two new ones :wink: I also believe MINREC tweeted out one for a “Lil’ Recycler Badge”, the code for that is “oscarmaiku”…

3 Likes

Here we are Battleborn artists and enthusiasts, it’s time to reveal the winners for our 2nd Battleborn art contest! This year we asked to see the Battleborn characters spending a holiday despite the impending doom of the universe (the beach was quite popular I hear) and got many entertaining entries! I want to thank everyone who contributed to the contest by sharing your sweet artworks, it was great to see new artists joining this round too. Just by entering everyone won a little something, but the big prizes go to the following people…

1st place

Comments

This drawing was an instant favorite because the more I looked the more I found. It’s a treasure trove of fun details and additions that brings a smile to my face. The lifejacket on Orendi, Beatrix with her “Super-Soaker”, the “Fart for Solus” banner, and my personal favorite detail: Marquis’ Hoodini swimming ring. What’s more, there’s lesser represented characters around too so this makes for a great piece showcasing a great holiday in Solus where everyone is having a great time. Except the Varelsi on the spit.
Looking past the photo quality this is genuinely a creative drawing with a lot of heart in it, and I’m happy to announce it as the winner of the competition.

2nd place

Comments

A lovely cosplay entry of Deande’s Saboteur skin with a holiday twist. I’m in love with the creativity and the colors in this piece; the props used add a lot of personal touch and give a fun & casual interpretation of the Spymistress. The composition and color palette make it very calming and enjoyable to look at, and “Deande’s” sassy expression is just the cherry on top. She’s on a holiday and you can’t stop her.

3rd place

Comments

This piece’s strengths are the fun style and how it creates a captivating story. You’re left wondering what is going on here and are drawn into enjoying the expressive gestures of the characters and hidden details. The character dynamics somehow capture the essence of Battleborn quite well; even private dates can get an “Incursion”!

Runner-ups

2 SHiFT codes each

Comments

A beautifully painted piece with a strong and lovely color palette setting the mood for the sunset, or the world burning. Or both? Who cares as long as it’s a nice time.

Comments

This is truly a “Holiday at the end of the world” with the volcano erupting in the background. Also filled with fun details; spotting the pizza slice on Attikus’ horn made me laugh.

Congratulations to the winners, and a good, big ol’ applause to everyone who participated! We hope you enjoyed making artwork for the contest as much as we enjoyed seeing it. Your efforts made this contest fun to host, so thank you again for taking part :blush:

Now, everyone keep kicking ass, okay?! Go #Battlefam!

5 Likes

Yes I wholeheartedly apologise for the picture quality, I should move into the 21st century and stop using my kids’ pencils and go digital.

2 Likes