Battleplan #6: 6/16/16

This week’s Battleplan is pretty full – a new character Deep Dive, a Marketplace expansion, and even a tease of an incoming community event! Could it get any better? It can. We’ve also got a new full update for you along with some much asked for Alani adjustments.

As we promised last week, Battleborn Lead Programmer Scott Velasquez has put together some serious info for any would-be master of Kelvin. Kelvin is everybody’s favorite ice golem, but he’s also a dynamic killing machine in the right hands. Scott’s Kelvin Deep Dive in now live on the Battleborn blog and will give you all the tips and tricks you need to send your enemies to a cold and frigid grave.

This week, we also introduced our second update to Battleborn! This update contains lots of great stuff (more on that below) including the updated Battleborn Marketplace and a new premium currency, Platinum. Starting today, you can use Platinum to purchase all sorts of awesome, optional cosmetic items such as skins and taunts! Check out the Vision for Battleborn’s In-Game Marketplace post on Battleborn.com for all the details.

As we mentioned above, this week we released the second update for Battleborn. This update contains fixes for various performance issues, but also includes some great quality of life improvements and features that you all have asked for. PVP maps and modes are getting lots of improvements and performance tweaks. Not only that, we added “Particle Detail Mode” in the Video Options menu. This mode is in direct response to community requests to have more control over the way visual FX are experienced in Battleborn. The full notes for the latest Battleborn update can be found on our Knowledge Base.

As for this week’s hot fixes, the star of the show is Alani. We’ve gotten lots of feedback from the community on Alani and her abilities. It’s important to us to use not only community feedback, but also the behind the scenes data when considering balance decisions. It’s also important that we spend an adequate amount of time monitoring that data to get a sense of where a given character is in relation to where they should be for proper balance. In the case of Alani, our recent adjustment to her health brought her survivability down to what our team felt was an acceptable level, however, her Kill-to-Assist ratio has continued to be an outlier for what we would like to see for a support class. As such, We are reducing some of her primary attack’s effectiveness as well as some of the AOE burst damage associated with her Riptide skill in order to bring her closer to expectations. With all that in mind, here are this week’s hot fixes:

• Reduced the damage of Alani’s Torrent primary attack by 18% (64 to 52 at Level 1).
• Reduced the damage of Alani’s Riptide by 55% (75 to 42 at Level 1).
• Reduced the damage of Alani’s level 4 Mutation, Wave Shock by 33% (81 to 54 at Level 1).
• Reduced the distance Alani’s Torrent projectiles travel by 20%.
• Reduced the character selection time in PVP from 120 seconds to 45 seconds.
• Reduced the stacking sprint speed bonus of the Go-Go Juice Legendary gear from 5-7% per stack to 2-3% per stack.
• Fixed an issue that allowed the Leechsteel Brooch Legendary gear to grant life steal on non-Skill attacks.
• Reduced the life steal granted by the Leechsteel Brooch Legendary gear from 10-14% to 4-6%.
• Increased the damage required to trigger the cooldown reduction tertiary effect of the Chrono Key Legendary gear from 500 to 2000.
• Increased the sprinting time requirement to create a small health pickup due to the Vidanium Root Tea Legendary gear’s tertiary effect from 6 seconds to 10 seconds.
• Reduced the shards generated per damage taken of the Plasmite Transducer Legendary gear from 25% to 3%.
• Replaced the sprint speed bonus while being healed granted by the Mossire’s Mukluks with a 4-6% bonus to movement speed while being healed. This change is currently not accurately reflected by the gear’s description.

![image](upload://cOXJybPB4MoREAyOIWcAm77mzqk.png)
This week’s community spotlight shines on Gearbox Forum member jjand302. JJ is an active, friendly, and helpful community member who can always be counted on to add a lot to a discussion. Recently, as a way to help direct the community to some of the answers they were looking for, JJ created the “Dev Feedback and Future Content” thread on the forums. This thread serves as a means to help the community quickly find developer responses to certain questions. Check out our Community Badass feature on JJ that also contains a link to his thread!
![image](upload://7ZGPdgW3eeOwgKBKY927KEO9GiF.jpg)
![image](upload://apzvtZQjfVkMrTB7NJSRVjrc518.png)
Last month, we had our first Double XP Event and it was a huge success! You guys told us you wanted more events like this, so we thought up a few ideas. We’ve got lots of great community events planned for the near future, but next week, we’ll be looking to tell you about a specific event that’s coming up that everyone at Gearbox are extremely excited about! If you’re interested in obtaining a new and rare golden skin, you won’t want to miss this one!
25 Likes

This is a really good battleplan, thanks joe

I really like all the legendary adjustments

7 Likes

The hot fixes are all perfect. Thank you guys! I hope Alani will be used less now. ;p

4 Likes

Still no word on season pass content.

I’m officially done

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. :slight_smile:

Great to see the hotfixes toning down Alani, it’ll be interesting to see how things fare once these kick in, hopefully we’ll see more balance in matches that she’s in.

3 Likes

it will come dude, just be badass give them a bit more time

1 Like

what about the lore requirements for killing Ambra being change from 25 to 15?

1 Like

Still no plan on what to do about the ever shrinking (PC) player base.

Class balance and gear fixes don’t matter much when there’s no one to play against or with.

7 Likes

But not even a vague roadmap!!??

It’s gone beyond a joke now. They want us to spend even more money on skins without even telling us what we’re getting for the money we already spent.

I’ve got patience, tons of it.

What I don’t have is tolerance for a company that treats their fans like cash pinatas

5 Likes

:-1:

I wish I could say more.

They even state on the news post that besides the numerous “skins” already in the game they are adding new optional ones for you to buy. First off everything in the current game you can acquire is just a recolor and 420 platinum for a Re-texture? not even a character model change. makes me wonder if T3 is going to be 840 platinum.

This is in no way going to help the game.

5 Likes

Lore changes are still being worked on, but I can tell that those will be in a full-on update, not a hot fix.

9 Likes

Brilliant.

So we get a response to someone asking about lore changes but radio silence on the numerous people asking about season pass content.

Great way to make us feel appreciated

6 Likes

when it comes to stuff like that it takes time(especially thing’s like story missions, the voice acting, level design, making sure it’s playable, the time it takes to make something like that alongside skins & taunts you can ONLY get with the story mission and the motion capture & extra voice acting for those taunts, it takes time for that to get done, by now thou i’d say if we don’t get the first one by at least August than there’s a problem.

4 Likes

I appreciate the effort your team has put into the map changes and optimization. Some people have already reported noticeable performance improvements. I really like this part of the changelog, along with the much needed Alani balance changes.

However, there’s the other part that I can’t ignore: you’re asking for additional money before you delivered content to people who already gave you their money. This is not right in many people’s book, including mine.

You told us you’re working on lots of good stuff and asked us to trust you. I’m afraid it doesn’t work this way - trust is gained by one’s actions, and you cannot just ask for it.

Ignoring.

You had a month to say even a single sentence to people who paid extra before launch day, while 19 days later others got the same thing for nearly half as much. Their $75 has lost value in less than three weeks, with no compensation in sight.

Nineteen days. Not half a year, or even a full month. 40% price drop. We all know this is not charity - but we’re customers, not donors, and it’s not unreasonable to expect to be treated fairly at least in the first month after the release. You’re asking for trust when pulling moves that put us off buying anything from you.

I would be okay with you saying “Digital Deluxe $75 customers will not get more than Digital Deluxe $40 customers”. That would mean there are some shards of communication between you and your customers. But you haven’t said anything. A lesson learned about pre-ordering anything from 2K.

I would gladly be proven wrong on this, if anyone has any source. Same applies to the things below.

Platinum.

You’re selling content that was in the game, just locked behind a boolean variable, before delivering what “season” pass holders already paid for. For some reason someone thought that it’s perfectly okay to ask for additional money even before the very first paid DLC pack goes live. You keep repeating that Season Pass holders will get the stuff they were promised, but the order of actions here is off-putting.

At this point I don’t believe you’ll listen to the cries telling you that non-cosmetic microtransactions are not okay. I expect it to be brushed off as “vocal minority”, followed by addition of paid loadouts or double XP and credits boosters. Maybe not addition, but enabling, since these boosters are already in the game’s code. You’ll probably also say that these are not affecting the gameplay more than skins do, and act surprised when people disagree.

Instead of giving people the incentive to play every day by giving them 5-10 platinum on each match, you’re making the situation worse by keeping the promised content behind a paywall insurmountable without real money.

Plans.

You’re scared of mentioning a date for specific updates - because people will start yelling a day after the deadline - so the 2K marketing team has ordered you not to say anything at all.

You’re not posting any teaser videos of the upcoming content nor generating hype in any other way. Promises like “soon it’s gonna be good” are empty and have not made anyone believe you. It’s the worst time for surprises, but you still keep everything secret unless it leaks.

If there was any misunderstanding by an external party, like a gaming news site wrongly interpreting your microtransaction plans, there wasn’t any effort from your side to correct it, e.g. this article saying “you don’t have to spend any more real money”. Second month is not “long-term”, which was the term you used.

Dev Tracker.

If I mention the lack of communication, you will point me to the Dev Tracker. And what I see in the Dev Tracker is a single developer who posts multiple great responses to users’ questions… for Homeworld Remastered. He even replies “yup, it’s a known bug” and that works wonders - it lets the players know that the issue is acknowledged and will probably be fixed. It’s not a PR team, not a group of community ambassadors. It’s one developer. Give him a high five from me.

For Battleborn Dev Tracker, there are so little posts, each carrying so little information (“soon”, “cool things are coming”, “trust us”, “things are always in flux”), that it should be embarrassing to point anyone there. I don’t know if my reports that I’m getting randomly stuck in the black void, or that the helix mutation keybinding does not reflect the key bound to ultimate skill, have been seen by any developer. I don’t care if my lengthy detailed list of interface improvements gets 1 or 100 likes, if it doesn’t reach anyone in the team.

I tried reporting some of the issues, such as stun not preventing Shepherd’s overshield wave, on the official Zendesk support. What I got was a reply that “we are unable to accept your suggestion; our policy is not to accept unsolicited game ideas from the public”. This is ridiculous, since you have a dedicated “Suggestion” option, and in effect I had to rephrase my ticket to be a bug report. It was closed and marked as solved without me getting an answer if that stun+overshield is intentional or not.

Trust.

I might have believed in Gearbox. But sadly, you’re in it together with 2K, and while the matches themselves are fun, the rest of the experience is terrible. Looking at the Steam players charts gives me the same amount of entertainment as sitting in a [1/10] queue for an hour, and there are no signs of positive changes in the future.

So, yeah… Trust.

You’re not getting it from me.

36 Likes

In the words of Charlie Sheen, “I’ve already got your money, dude”.

2 Likes

I don’t care how long it takes.

They need to tell us something!!!

Anything!!!

Man, this is what I hate about this game. You all just don’t communicate! You don’t address the concerns of your community and you’re just all silent and greedy and blargh blargh blargh. I want (insert issue that is important to me and no one else) dealt with NOW. /sarcasm

In all seriousness, cool battleplan, I’m glad to see Alani’s being addressed. She’ll be much more of an actual support now and less of a DPS monster.

Legendary gear changes all sound cool and I’m always up for a new golden skin.

5 Likes

When there’s news to share about the first additional story mission, we’ll certainly share it. At this time, we put it at some time this summer.

17 Likes

Well said!!!

You put that so much more eloquently that I have the patience to do lol

Unfortunately we won’t get an answer. No matter how much thought you put into the question