Battleplan #6: 6/16/16

PvE would be decent if there was some kind of challenge and interesting mechanics in it.
Instead:

• there’s barely any story
  • there’s no interesting gameplay
  • there’s no mechanics to encounters
  • time vs reward is totally out of balance
  • how many waves can there be?! Is this a tower defense game?
  • the dialog gets old fast
  • too many breaks/slow paced sections

The only potential replay value it has is finding all the dialog options (if you care for such a thing).

The best thing about the entire Story mode is the animated intro :confused:

I actually laughed at this response, but so far it seems more like a bumpy road trip.
I can’t talk about legendaries since I only have like two and never use them because their shard cost just doesn’t pay off for me (atleast in PvP), but you kinda went rampage with the nerf hammer on some heroes. Not quite talking about Alani, she needed a nerf and she is still good enough I guess. Just a bummer that you touched her riptide, that one always seemed fine to me.
But other heroes finally need a little kick start. I’d love to use Toby more, but his ult… ugh. And poor poor Ambra. Can’t even stand up for herself anymore and is always fair game to any Galilea and Alani whispers just give Ambra a little buff. She’s suffered enough, she’s learned her lesson. Let her punish children again.

2 Likes

You seem to be under the assumption that I can’t organize a proper load out for certain characters based off my opinion of the leechsteel brooch post nerf.

1. it’s only skill damage

2. healing received doesn’t affect lifesteal and self regeneration abilities (as far as I’m aware it’s only health pickups, if someone heals you, outside heals. I was on a thread that spoke of it)

3. 3rd ability is life steal max 6% on skill damage. For burst damage that would equal 60 health for every 1000 points of skill damage you do. Since you don’t always have a healer I would choose a defensive and offensive gear on let’s say Orendi. A very squishy but powerful and quick character and the leechsteel was and to some still is a good pairing for her.

Example: I take her Legendary gear for skill damage, then I take a shard collector (always do. That’s my personal preference), and lastly I will take (from my own inventory, what’s at my disposal) Alamo 7 for damage reduction 5.60%, max +210 health, and every 120 seconds I gain 2 secs of damage immunity when under 10% hp. By using this legendary I receive more base health after activation which already makes it immediately better than lifesteal (because it’s permanent and instant compared to conditional), I’m taking less damage which is most effective against skills, and i have damage immunity although it is locked in every 120 seconds (which is where it’s similar to the lifesteal condition)

By using this I have made a beast out of Orendi whereas before she was more of an attacker and skill hits become more crucial to land when you’re in the heat of everything but it was worth it pre nerf on leechsteel. Which is why it’s such a huge difference only getting 60, 51 for my brooch, on every skill hit worth 1000 damage.

The Alamo 7 feels Legendary. It will probably be nerfed again.

Let me say, I never said you can throw Legendaries on any character and it be used properly. I never said Gearbox wakes up and does that. I never said they don’t analyze data. I never said they should throw nerfs and buffs around. I never said things are taking too long: on many other threads I asked that they take MORE time before making such drastic changes to the balance of things. I want them to balance the game and all of its aspect but to me, key word is ME, I feel as though they’re not balancing well. They’re nerfing and adjusting things dramatically instead of easing into things.

The only reason you’re arguing with me is because you have a different opinion but instead of recognizing our differences you’re trying to twist my words and make me sound completely wrong when I can’t be wrong in my own opinion. Key word, opinion. Some people share my opinion. You don’t and that’s okay.

I don’t understand why you continue to insult me by making all of these assumptions on my person.

1 Like

@orionwannabe Tagging you because I guess I didn’t reply to your post.

No I’m rebuttaling based on the content of your posts. You said Leechsteel was useless, I made the point that it wasn’t. And you, yourself, just went against your own argument by saying you still find it useful with Orendi.

And I’m not insulting you, so you shouldn’t take it that way, but it is insulting when you and many others keep trying to make the point that others and Gearbox don’t understand what proper balancing is.

While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it doesn’t make an opinion on a subject true.

Just because someone believes vaccines cause autism, doesn’t mean they’re not wrong.

Your opinion of the balance changes can be that you dislike them, but saying that because you dislike them, they are bad changes, is wrong.

1 Like

I said pre nerf it was worth it and that others still find it worth it…

I urge new users to read the forum rules. That will benefit everyone.

Soon™

3 Likes

Exactly. Many others. Hundreds of people questioning Gearbox and their decisions. Why do we care and get so opinionated? Because we love this game.

Why did I stop playing? Because im frustrated with all of the “balancing” and business practices they’re doing.

I spent many hours grinding in PvE for legendary items. I finally, or should I say we, get one or three good ones that are really awesome and fun and feel worth it but then Gearbox makes extreme changes to them…

I’m not upset that they touched them. I’m just sad that they keep slamming gear and characters so hard. Harder than necessary. Small changes are best.

Why is it that the few people complaining about OP gear get their issue “resolved” before the thousands of over complaints? Game breaking complaints.

Gearbox has their own system. Sure I understand that. Data takes time and i respect that 100%.

But why. When anything needs changed, do they take such extreme measures??

The archive sentry got a 50% health increase… that mission was easy (in my opinion) on advance before but now it’s probably insanely easy. Especially since he heals when the data bots get to him.

They buffed Ghalt to the extreme and had to tone him back down to basically the same level he was at before.

Balancing goes both ways. Nerfs and buffs. Adjustments and changes.

If you say every balance effort has been in the right direction then what of the buff/nerf on Ghalt? What of the nerf on Ambra that even nerf callers were saying was too much? What about the Alamo 7, they nerfed and buffed it from 60secs-120-180-120? (People disagree with the last one because I guess they didn’t use it often or check the stats periodically but I used it often and when I first got it, it was 180, now it’s 120).

Anyway… let me reiterate that I agree with many of their balancing and hotfixes. However, that does not mean I agree with many others (fixes) or don’t think they could’ve done better.

This whole thing started from a disagreement on whether Gearbox intended Legendaries in PvE to be an incentive to play their game more. From a business standpoint this makes a ton of sense. New PvP content will be free other than the t2 skins but PvE is where they make their money: by selling DLC pandering to new campaign missions and characters.

Okay, then why is it bad with Kelvin? Why is a skill damage bonus bad since you say it’s just skill damage? The item boosts your skill damage then gives you health regen based on skill damage, that’s good synergy.

I try and make well thought out points that you completely ignore about the price difference between Common and Epic, and Epic and Legendary, and how they both gain another permanent effect from their former tier of gear with very similar costs.

And that Legendaries still have merit as they give stats and benefits that no other piece can give.

Why do these exclusive effects need to have absurdly high values or extremely easy conditions to activate them to be worth it?

You’re still gaining a third stat from a single gear slot when using a Legendary, and most of the time they’re bonuses that can only be acquired through Helix upgrades.

You say they buffed Ghalt then had to nerf him again because he became too strong, but say that buffs for characters are needed.

I try to make the point that nerfs to stronger characters are passive buffs to weaker characters, and that balancing takes time, and you completely ignore it.

That’s good, I meant that in a light-hearted way, so I’m glad it translated that way. :slight_smile:

You bring up a good point and supports what I said earlier – balance is tricky. Everyone will have an opinion how things should be done and that’s to be expected. All our team can do is take in the community’s feedback and then compare it to the data and make the best decision possible. Balance takes time, but we’re committed to getting there and we will.

8 Likes

Did I say it was bad for him?? No. I said it’s only skill damage that activates your lifesteal. I use a really good Rare skill bonus for Benedict so I love skill bonus damage. Never meant that skill damage is useless. I still don’t see 40-60 hp on skill damage being worth it. I think Kelvin would benefit more from the Alamo 7 now that the leechsteel is nerfed. I say that because Kelvin is a tank and he’s on the front lines so he needs chomp kills and a good defensive gear set.

I didn’t completely ignore your breakdown. Give me time. We both post so many things at once that I forget what all gets said lol.

There are many Legendaries that still merit their cost. There is still gear that people consider OP. So there is an imbalance amongst the Legendaries themselves.

As far as price goes, I don’t care what the difference is between all of them. What i care about is how drastically different the 3rd abilities on Legendaries are compared to each other. You have many awesome Legendaries and for this example I will say firmly that I believe the leechsteel is worth 1250-1350 and the Alamo 7 is worth 1800. Or more. If they just increased the shard cost instead of hitting the Legendaries so hard then I wouldn’t complain. I’d be fine spending so many shards if the Legendary feels worth it.

Because they’re Legendary status and should feel so. If the 3rd stat is lackluster then I won’t even bother because that health on skill damage isn’t going to prevent me from taking out a Rath with Caldarius.

Again, im not completely ignoring you… please stop thinking so mighty of your opinions that I need to respond immediately or even to all or any of them. Im on my phone and have a child for God’s sake lol.

The reason for my opinion on the Ghalt issue is because they buffed him too much and didn’t buff others to his level so they then had to nerf him. If they had buffed everyone then that would be been awesome. So my opinion and comments of buffing characters is still correct, you merely misunderstood my example. Unfortunately, a proper balance level or “bar” in Battleborn is impossible. This is because there are so many characters with differing abilities, classes, and sub classes. Because of this you always have people saying nerf or buff or change such and such.

1 Like

Ah, but they didn’t say summer of 2016…

:wink:

2 Likes

My guess is that it’s easier (And therefore quicker) to address some issues compared with others.

Also, @zenrage, and @orionwannabe, I do appreciate that you’ve managed, so far, to keep the discussion you’re having polite and cool-headed.

Please keep it that way. There’s nothing mods hate more than intelligent, passionate people falling out over the thing that brought then together. We all love games here.

2 Likes

I understand and respect that. It makes sense.

But just because it’s an easier fix it should it be prioritized?

Yes they can work on multiple things at once but if you have 300 issues you can’t handle them at the same time with a staff of 50. Not saying those are exact numbers for Gearbox but it’s just the point I’m trying to make as far as prioritizing issues when there’s so many.

1 Like

As I understand things, Gearbox prioritise according to several variables (And I’m only going to use 2 in this example), like frequency (how many players are affected, how often) and severity (is it a visual glitch, or are Xboxes exploding?)

So global problems have high frequency, but their effects might be mild. Or a few players simply cannot get the game to run, which is severe, but low frequency. The stuff that’s frequent and severe will be highest priority

BUT

they also have to figure in how hard it’s going to be to fix, and what resources they devote to it. A very widespread, but mild issue might be really easy to fix, so they could improve the game in small ways for lots of people very quickly, without draining resources significantly, while still having the majority of the bugfix team hard crunching the tricky stuff. This is why some people perceive that Gearbox aren’t working on difficult stuff when they see ‘trivial’ stuff getting fixed. Quick results aren’t necessarily the most important ones, but the important ones tend to take longer, and if something can be fixed in a few hours by one coder, it won’t significantly affect a project that’s going to take weeks by a larger team or teams of coders, but might positively affect lots of players.

This is just what I think goes on, based on being on this forum for several years. I could be completely and utterly wrong.

5 Likes

Completely logical.

This is where communication is key and trust.

Gearbox has been very communicative but for some things (like the t2 skins fiasco) people feel as though they were uncommunicative about it and that’s one reason why so many are upset.

I love this idea of a list or notes about what is being worked on. I’ve mentioned this multiple times but now it seems as though it may become a real thing. All the legalities of gaming, ownership like copyrights, false information, etc. is a lot more convoluted than it used to be. I can see why Gearbox would stay hush hush on some things and really they have no obligation to communicate with us. If it wasn’t for social media forums then there would be no reason to complain about communication.

Really their only obligation is to fix issues. However, since they’ve gone on record to be communicative with the community they’ve pulled themselves into an exponential responsibility.

3 Likes

Just saw for the plasmite dear lord.
They broke the only item that would allow you to be on par with an assassin with shards.
But eh,when you look at the score,the balancing,the chars,it’s obvious that kills are favored,why did I try.

1 Like

Actually he did. He said this summer. This summer being 2016 since summer 2016 has not only yet to pass but yet to arrive.
Lol nice try though

Ha, ya got me

Lol I guess so. I look forward to our next war of the words!