Been away a few weeks - new incursion map is bloody awful

Whoever at Gearbox thought that map - with all it’s little secret routes and sniper ledges - was a good idea needs their head read.

It is bloody awful and makes a mockery of this game.

It’s like a bloody maze. Why makes things infinitely more confusing than they need to be? Did you not learn from the Marquis sniping saga? Have you not heard people say they don’t like backdooring?

Just my opinion, but why such an awful map?

I honestly think it’s a great map! I’m happy that they’re finally experimenting with vertical areas instead of mainly flat open areas. It always feels like something is happening all the time. Overgrowth is really open and easy to maneuver. I’m glad this map takes skill, you have to be trying not just sitting behind that first corner in overgrowth. I think the vertical nature makes the map more adaptable. There is a place to go and adapt for all different kinds of matches, it really flows well and feels like a good fluid map. The backdoors are great! They make room for SO much strategy and team play.

11 Likes

It’s a great map. Assassins can actually catch people off guard like assassins, multiple angles of approach, lots of room to flank and maneuver.

Weird placement of buildables, but other than that, far FAR superior to “run straight down lane fight whole team repeat” Incursion.

2 Likes

At first I was confused, but it is so much fun. It can’t go one way - there is always someone somewhere, trying to get to the sentries. I like how complex yet open it is.

Give it time. It makes things far more intense.

I love it! Thanks GBX all the new maps are great. Just like the others it takes a few runs to learn their secrets, but they are fantastic. Great job GBX!

2 Likes

In my opinion Monuments is a map for advanced competitive matches. You´ve to know exactly what to do, what other characters can and would do, ect… The map needs you to have total awarness of your surroundings and your current task, and I think its ment to encourage tactical teamplay that relies on clear & good communication.

For beginners like me its surely confusing, but I´m sure many Pro-gamers appreciate a map that challenges your skills and awarness.

Yep, I suppose it didn’t help to be teamed with all pre-5s for my first two goes at Monuments. Not that I’m the best battleborn player ever…not by a long shot.

I do like team fights too. There’s nothing like clumping everyone together to pillar them or fire my ult.

Maybe it will grow on me. We’ll see.

I honestly love the new map so much it’s so fun to play Benedict on that map because of all the opportunities to flank and escape within there

Stay gone mate. Bb had enough complainers already.

Stealth is insanely strong. It’s fun actually being able to assassinate people because you can actually go out of position now. It makes melees play very weirdly though. Not worse, just odd.

And people like you aren’t helpful either. I am entitled to state my thoughts, for sure I’ve done enough supporting of this game in the time it’s been out. I’ve supported and tried to push Battleborn since release…and in the face of huge odds.

Don’t tell me to leave.

7 Likes

Short story;

Played on the new Incursion map, I HATED IT.

Constantly feeling like I need to be on guard, no safe route from point A to point B, and open to some random unseen attack that could come from anywhere, be it above or below.

Then I realised that THAT was the entire point. And then I built a bridge and got the **** over myself.

The end.

1 Like

Lol didn’t tell you to leave. I told you to stay gone. Bb doesn’t need anymore complainers. I’m not going to bother continuing to argue. The new updates are out. Play the game. You don’t like it. Stop playing. This community and game needs great members. Stay positive. Cheers!

Well, I´m probably the worst PvP-gamer in history, I guess I stopped connecting lost marches to the map-layout long ago :sweat_smile: Thats why I pointed out that it might be designed for those rare uber-pros out there.

My favourite is still Echelon, though everyone hates it…

I only had a chance to see it on the stream. Too much loot to get atm for me to play PvP. But, I like that they went with more of an “FPS-type” map. Something where you have to be aware of multiple lines of sight, different routes of approach for different classes, etc…

We had a pretty straightforward map in Overgrowth that I’d say was more MOBA inspired, and now they can let the FPS part of this game share the front seat, so to speak.

Guess we’ll see how I like it once I actually get to play it.

1 Like

Some modding (moderating) here: Please talk about the map, not other members & players. As long the feedback is constructive and not hurting our simple guidelines its welcome here, no matter if its a complaint or a love letter.

Stay nice to each other

2 Likes

You can argue semantics till you’re blue in the face, but you might want to accept that criticism is always valid. What is not valid is meaningless grumbling. Had I done that I might agree with you. I still think those shutting people up are worse than those offering criticism.

Back doors that directly end at the enemy sentry, and are not easily guarded from the main lane, are not good for the game. A main lane that turns in to a field of fire, because it is towered over by a ledge protected from melee, is not good. A map that caters to sneaking about, jumping to ledges only certain heroes can access and sniping advantages is not good.

In my opinion.

It just needs toning down. They toned down Overgrowth due to criticism and then released this…a map that includes criticised mechanics in abundance.

1 Like

I can’t speak to the backdooring (a word that means different things to different people in the first place), because like I said, I’ve only seen it on stream; and you might be correct that the level will need some changes when all is said and done.

That being said, having a map where gameplay is truly different and you can’t just use the same straight-forward approach as Overgrowth (and Echelon) is a good thing in my book. Brings some much needed variety.

How many times have you actually played it? Every maps is confusing at first, but when you learn the layout, it’s not hard. I was in a 5 man premade, and we managed to shut down the enemy team, who was all DPS. After 5 rounds on each map, we memorized the majority of the layout.

This new map is great for melee characters, with all the twist and turns, pretty easy to escape, well sometimes. Anyway I went a game with Attikus and I got 11 kills and 0 deaths, got all kills from sneaking up on people from behind. Once the enemy is in the middle it’s pretty easy to go around the other way to attack. I also love how there is an opening on the ground where you can see the double thralls. Good way to keep an eye out on them.