Best and worst modifiers on shields/grenades? Poll and discussion

I’m just curious. On the non-legendary gear, what modifiers does everyone love or hate using.
I’ll add polls below, to pick your fave and least fave 3, but feel free to comment with combos or whatever, if you like.

Favourite shield mods
  • Absorb - 10% chance to absorb bullets as ammo
  • Adaptive - +8% Health and 20% resistance to the last damage type received for 3 seconds.
  • Adrenaline - +30% reload speed while shield is depleted
  • Amp - While full, shots drain 30% shields for +20% weapon damage.
  • Booster - When damaged, has a 20% chance to drop a booster that restores 20% shields
  • Capacity - +25% max capacity
  • Delay - -33% recharge delay
  • Fleet - +30% movement speed while shield is depleted
  • Fortify Charge - When Damaged, has a 20% chance to drop a Fortify charge that grants 10% damage reduction
  • Health Charge - When damaged, has a 20% chance to drop a health charge that restores 20% of max health
  • Health - +10% max health
  • Nova - Triggers (scaled) Damage nova when shield breaks
  • Recharge - +15% recharge rate
  • Resistant - Grants resistance to an element
  • Roid - +80% melee damage while shield is depeleted
  • Safe-Space - Deals area-knockback on shield break
  • Spike - Returns (scaled) damage if meleed while shielded

0 voters

Least favourite shield mods
  • Absorb - 10% chance to absorb bullets as ammo
  • Adaptive - +8% Health and 20% resistance to the last damage type received for 3 seconds.
  • Adrenaline - +30% reload speed while shield is depleted
  • Amp - While full, shots drain 30% shields for +20% weapon damage.
  • Booster - When damaged, has a 20% chance to drop a booster that restores 20% shields
  • Capacity - +25% max capacity
  • Delay - -33% recharge delay
  • Fleet - +30% movement speed while shield is depleted
  • Fortify Charge - When Damaged, has a 20% chance to drop a Fortify charge that grants 10% damage reduction
  • Health Charge - When damaged, has a 20% chance to drop a health charge that restores 20% of max health
  • Health - +10% max health
  • Nova - Triggers(scaled) Damage nova when shield breaks
  • Recharge - +15% recharge rate
  • Resistant - Grants resistance to an element
  • Roid - +80% melee damage while shield is depeleted
  • Safe-Space - Deals area-knockback on shield break
  • Spike - Returns (scaled) damage if meleed while shielded

0 voters

Favourite grenade mods
  • Artillery - Fires bullets dealing 13 damage per second.
  • Blight - Irradiates area and deals damage for 4 seconds.
  • Bouncy - Bounces and detonates up to 3 times
  • Divider - Splits into 2 grenades in flight.
  • Generator - Heals shields for 30% of shield damage dealt
  • Jumping - Jumps 1 time, +10% damage per jump.
  • Large - +20% Explosion radius
  • Link - +15% damage for each enemy damaged
  • Mirv/Mini-Mirv - spawn 3 more grenades
  • Money - Enemies drop some cash when damaged.
  • Rain - Launches up and fires 3 grenades down around it
  • Roider - +15% grenade damage
  • Singularity - Pulls enemies in for 1.0 seconds.
  • Sticky - +25% damage to stuck target
  • Transfusion - Heals for 30% of health damage dealt.

0 voters

Least favourite grenade mods
  • Artillery - Fires bullets dealing 13 damage per second.
  • Blight - Irradiates area and deals damage for 4 seconds.
  • Bouncy - Bounces and detonates up to 3 times
  • Divider - Splits into 2 grenades in flight.
  • Generator - Heals shields for 30% of shield damage dealt
  • Jumping - Jumps 1 time, +10% damage per jump.
  • Large - +20% Explosion radius
  • Link - +15% damage for each enemy damaged
  • Mirv/Mini-Mirv - spawn 3 more grenades
  • Money - Enemies drop some cash when damaged.
  • Rain - Launches up and fires 3 grenades down around it
  • Roider - +15% grenade damage
  • Singularity - Pulls enemies in for 1.0 seconds.
  • Sticky - +25% damage to stuck target
  • Transfusion - Heals for 30% of health damage dealt.

0 voters

Thanks. =]

3 Likes

you missed turtle on shields, i would’ve put that as my favourite

6 Likes

There’s no vagabond either. One of my favourite combos is vagabond and fleet

3 Likes

Also isn’t there one that drops boosters that increase damage?

1 Like

Yes their should be the modifier that causes the kill-switch purple shield.

So my choice:

Best for Shield:

Not on the list:

• Turtle (The lose in health is even better for health-gating) use Capacity for FL4K

• Vagabund (Best quality of life modifier for traveling and even better with skills that accumulate damage out of movement speed)

• Amp (is fun on non Mayham playthrough and the One-Shotter can be good on certain builds/ in certain situations)

• Absorb (Every damage that gets absorbed doesn’t hurt you, the ammo is just an extra)

• Booster (since auto-pickup, combined with amp even better)

Best for Nades:

• To some restrictions on legendary/manufacturer their are some combinations that include not that great modifiers as roid (Vendicator ghast call).

My choice came from thinking about purple ones, because the combinations for the legendary meta stuff should be known allready.

Their is the Moze-Meta CMT(Cloning-Muddening-Tracker):

• Divider
  • Mirv
  • Bouncing
  • Tracker

And their is one less known, the Mass Lingering …:

• Artillery
  • Mirv
  • Blight/Tesla/…
  • Impact

The Mass Lingering … especially with Blight is good because off spreading DOTs very well and the Radiation/Blight DOTs last the longest, so it’s like the little brother of the Mirtoise Hunter Seeker with it’s ability to spam DOTs and build up Pearl/ConsequitiveHits stacks.

Singularity is nice for a bit crowd-controll, but that’s it, I tried a Firestorm with Rain+Singularity and the “rain” misses most of the enemies, that’s why I think the following modifiers aren’t really good:

• Raid (most grenades are for utility, because they lack in base damage that can’t scale well with mayham, i read about a tripple sticky purple, the fishslap and the ghast call are the ones you do may use for perigrin FL4K).

• Generator and or Transfusion:
    Both work as intended and as described on the item card, a generator only links shield from an enemy if that enemy has got a shield, same behaviour for transfusion, if the enemy the nade is trying to damage is still shielded/has its armour you won’t get any health.

-Rain (as described above, is to inconsistent)

Nice thread, I hope there are some mechanics out there I haven’t seen/heard of yet.

2 Likes

A lot of shield and grenade behavior mods impact the base shield capacity/rate/delay and grenade dmg/radius in ways that aren’t stated on the item card and that’s worth considering when deciding on favorites.

For example Amp and Adaptive both increase the base shield capacity and the item card values already have that factored in. Other mods like Power Charge lower capacity significantly. The difference on a Madcap between triple Amp and triple Power Charge is something like 93k vs. 55k.

For grenades Large significantly lowers dmg and Roider reduces radius. A grenade with Large + Roider has very similar stats to one without either since they nearly cancel each other out. That’s why something like Link is so good since that one increases both base dmg and radius in addition to the bonus for each enemy hit.

4 Likes

I dont like Projected.

4 Likes

You’re so right, as far as I know it’s also one of thouse where the item-card text describes exactly how it’s intended. So your shield (which normally acts like Zane’s barrier-dome in a form of an aura/skinny suite) gets projected in front of you, while sliding, which makes you vulnerable to all kind of damage that has a bit of splash behaviour or hasn’t it’s source the direction you’re sliding to.

Does it even have kind a beneficial effect or does it only kinda look cool?

1 Like

I think it gives a small damage reduction or resistance, but considering your health is way more exposed, I doubt its worth it.

3 Likes

Projected shield mods are the worst thing created by the human race

1 Like

Yeah, the projected shield mod has very situational usage, at best. In 99.9% of situations, the very last thing I want from my shield is for it to protect only in front of me while I am crouched.

2 Likes

I could see it being fun if there was maybe a really powerful legendary shield that had a great capacity and VERY high damage reduction when projected but nothing to my knowledge is quite that good to me. Or maybe a legendary shield that has base chance for absorb/reflect/boosters and when projected it massively increased the chances for those effects. The benefits for projection just aren’t worth the massive drawback of stripping the shield itself from the wearer. But if Gearbox made something that was really cool to use like that I’d probably try it out. especially in multiplayer that kind of thing could be fun, like having Zane’s barrier to protect teammates.

3 Likes

The Firewall shield is kind of like that. It has Projected x3 built in and I believe it can get additional Projected perks as well. Since it reflects bullets back at the enemies which restore your shield if it hits them you can park in a corner or in front of something and hang out behind your shield without taking much damage. Not really my playstyle but it is kinda cool.

4 Likes

Projected is good under the right circumstances - damage coming from front only and not splash - in that it lets you focus all your shield in one direction to gain a defense bonus (like a sci-fi ship shield diverting power from engines). Great when your back’s to the wall, or you’re cornered.
The problem with them is that the damage reduction isn’t really enough reward for the risk, especially with a shield focus build.
Plus you can’t stop it, so if you dive behind cover, your shield can suddenly project past the cover and take damage. Basically it’s a cool idea, but needs some work.

Having said that, I really like the firewall, with its effect, and plan to grab a max level one when cartel comes back. I’d like some more legendary shields using various modifiers, especially the new BL3 ones, like projected and safe-space.
I also noticed it works well with the smog smg, to keep the gun shield from taking damage.

4 Likes