Best story entry in the borderlands franchise

I decided to give this another run through, and I think this game is peak-Borderlands story, as well as peak Telltale. This post will be all over the pace.

First, the world building is great. You can tell that the team responsible gave a crap about the stories of the past borderlands games, but also the games themselves. The plots and setting are well placed onto fixtures of the borderlands universe, but also the smaller things, like the guns used and references to gun names are incredibly thorough. This is fan service done well. Players spend hundreds or thousands of hours with the names and mechanics of guns/shields, and the gameplay elements that are encountered in every playthrough. These features of the borderlands games are referenced in spades with this installment. It’s so incredibly nerdy, but done in a well designed way from a worldbuilding perspective.

Then we have the characters. They are written well, and they just look good. The game looks stunning in 1440, and recognizes high framerates natively. Character design detail and facial expressions are untouchable compared to the other installments, and of course dialogue and character building are well in line to the themes I’ve referenced in the first main paragraph. It’s good quality. The characters also have depth built into them. This is a stark contrast from how terribly the characters created in this game were treated by the writers of future borderlands installments.

All of this is to say that this game is done fantastically form a borderlands fan’s perspective. This game is a deeper dive into what’s narratively possible in the borderlands universe than any of the installments by a long shot. The only problem I have with this game is having to try and experience a borderlands game (borderlands 3) that doesn’t take nearly as much care and craftsmanship with the universe as this installment. The game was so good in a story sense, it all but compensated for the rift between the feel of borderlands 1, and borderlands 2.

That’s basically all I have to say about it. One more time, the way the characters from this series were treated in future installments was straight up embarrassing and unlikeable. Play this game if you’ve sunk tons of hours into the first 2 games and the pre-sequel.

2 Likes

I agree with you on the merits of this game. But the actual gameplay sucked big time. I would have prefered this as some sort of interactive comic, without those lousy quick time “challenges”.
But those writers must be out there somewhere and I say: Go and get em GBX!

2 Likes

I can agree on that. It feels like they make the gameplay based on keeping your monitor awake. Actually one of the saddest parts for me was the scene where you can loot a tediore shield, and you never get to equip it. Would have spiced things up a bit.

1 Like

I enjoyed watching someone else play through it, kind of like a movie; that gameplay style isn’t for me.

1 Like

This was the first and last Telltale Game that I played myself. Others I symply watched on Youtube being played by people who had a better grip on those mechanics. Have to say though that “Tales from the Borderlands” was their best in my opinion. The others ranged form "OK " to “Meh” in my book.

1 Like

Totally agree with you, tftbl raised the bar in terms of what the franchise can do narratively (and the humour was great too). I suppose that’s to be expected since it’s a narrative game.

Bl3 was a complete let down story wise, the only thing I think I actually liked (?) was getting some closure on how Timothy’s doing. But the fact the game completely ignored the existence of Fiona, Sasha, Athena and Janey… and then Lilith went ahead and punched the moon while conveniently ignoring the fact that people live on Elpis… and how completely they destroyed Vaughn’s character (and included Rhys but offered no explanation as to the end of tftbl and also failed at writing him tbh)…

Yeah… I really hope they take the feedback from bl3 and improve on it’s weaknesses for a potential bl4. I’m curious to see where the story goes from here, but I’m not about to get my hopes up. I would kill for a tftbl 2 from the same writing team though (although that’s clearly not a possibility what with the company going under).

2 Likes

It would be a lot easier to watch it, however you obviously don’t get to choose the dialogue options. I was actually surprised how often I was using the silence option because of how many times there just wasn’t a good response offered (mainly with Rhys).

Maybe they should have omitted any interactive parts and make it a Netflix miniseries (not a fan of their interactive stuff either). Aside from the quicktime junk (and jank) I remember one Sentence: “/NAME/ will remember this”. Well, if they did I certainly never noticed. Choices that have zero impact on the game are meaningless if they do not give you the opportunity to flesh out your character and sort of find your place in the games world. The dialogue options seemed somewhat off the field to me as well - almost as if they had been done by a different set of writers.

1 Like