Beya's Battleborn fanart corner (paintings, comics, etc.)

(Magnus Whisperer || ISIC's s.o.) #1

Heyho, badasses :smile:

So, a long time ago in May 2016 a timid fan shared a couple of fanart pieces here but due to a lot of stuff they just decided to shy away from any further engagement in the community (besides the occasional scrap ending up on Tumblr).

Half a year later the artists sent a letter to GBX including some of the scarce art they had made. GBX liked them and published a photo of them on Twitter. The artist is overwhelmed by the positive reactions and gains confidence to finally start participating in the community proper.

While I’m somewhat regretful that I haven’t been able to jump in earlier, in the last month or so I think I’ve done more art than in the last 2 years, and it really keeps on rolling. The unwavering love and passion I have for Battleborn keeps feeding the creative spirit, and now that I don’t feel so disconnected to the community anymore, the art seems to happen almost by itself. I’ve been posting a lot on my Twitter recently, but it’s not really the best platform for a gallery of stuff.

This art thread has been a long time coming. It’s going to be a place where I gather all my Battleborn related fanworks for easier accessibility. There’s a bunch of stuff to be shared, and I’m not yet sure what’s the best way to arrange it all, but I’m gonna start posting in separate posts starting from the older stuff. Any new piece I make will be updated into this thread as well.

Heads up, art incoming! I hope you guys like :smile:

Update Jan 15 2018;

A lot has happened since I started this thread in Feb 14 2017.

I firmly believe that 2017, when I became a fanart machine and did a ton of Battleborn art for everyone to see, was an undeniable highlight in my life. So many great things happened last year, and the year before, and strangely enough most of the big changes had their roots in Battleborn somehow. It had become the most important game I had played because its bounty went beyond the game’s limits. Thanks to this game I found friends, made connections, improved my art, and met my loved one, to name a few.

The thread below along with all the art I posted became a diary of sorts. It records some very important events, and shows the progress I’ve made. Many thanks for the support and encouragement from people I met in the community, you helped to create this experience. It’s been an amazing thing to have lived and participated in the golden age of Battleborn. Thanks to it 2016 – and especially 2017 – was crazy. I enjoyed everything the game had to offer, and wanted to dedicate time to it because I knew I would very likely never experience anything like this again. The game became a big part of me. This whole experience culminated when I became a part of the game in November 2017 – a humbling honor granted by the Creative Director, Randy Varnell. I feel like I’ve gained the game’s value back thousandfold with everything that has happened, making it an incredible and awe-inspiring chapter in my life.

So again, thank you to everyone who’s been sticking by, or just visited. Updates in this thread have slowed down, just as they’re waning for Battleborn. Sad about its fate, but it’s that short limited experience that made it all so intense and unique. I’m proud to have been a part in all of this.

The potency of this experience can’t go to waste though, so I’m trying to take what I’ve gained here and use that for future projects and alike. Gotta just try to do the things that matter to you in life, yeah? :blush:

In case you want to talk business I have an email for it; beya.exe@gmail.com
(it’s especially open to any Gearbox people :eyes:)

The Toby Forum Fanart Thread!
Battleborn: The Creative Director's Tribute
Battleplan 54: 8/3/17
(Magnus Whisperer || ISIC's s.o.) #2

We start with what began my Battleborn journey! Miko’s design was so intriguing they were the sole reason I checked the game out (and I’m damn glad I did, phew).

The very first Battleborn fanart I made on the top left.

This pencil work piece was gifted to GBX.

(Magnus Whisperer || ISIC's s.o.) #3

I was really enjoying Miko’s mischievous character and did a ton of sketches of them :smiley:

Headcanon: Miko argue amongst themselves

Guest appearance by Orendi

(Leonie) #4

I am already in love with your art :smiley: Miko and Orendi changing hats is hilarious! :joy:

(Magnus Whisperer || ISIC's s.o.) #5

Then besides Miko, another character really caught my attention and ended up becoming a whole lot more than just a favorite, heh. Anyway, this is a watercolor painting that I did post-beta and had really bad references to work with so the model is quite off x___x… This piece was gifted to GBX and was even featured on the Oscar Mike vs. Battleschool Twitch livestream.

(Magnus Whisperer || ISIC's s.o.) #6

Orendi watercolor, gifted to GBX.

chaos theory, anyone?

(Magnus Whisperer || ISIC's s.o.) #7

Here’s two comics I made to illustrate the funny posts I saw on littlebattlebornthings’ Tumblr :smiley:

Making these comic strips was really fun though, and I got plenty of ideas for more. I just couldn’t find the motivation to do them back then :confused: working to make them all now, though!

(Magnus Whisperer || ISIC's s.o.) #8

I was trying so hard to wrap my head around ISIC’s mechsuit, resulting in a bunch of bad sketches. I got it (mostly) memorized now, but still prefer to work from references for better results :smiley:

And a doodle made on 3DS.

(Magnus Whisperer || ISIC's s.o.) #10

BELLYRUBS FOR ATTIKUS!!! VERY IMPORTANT!

(Magnus Whisperer || ISIC's s.o.) #11

Hey! Thanks for the nice words :smile: yeah I do art just for a hobby to keep the enjoyment intact. Forcing and creativity don’t go hand in hand.

You’re in luck! I got one more comic featuring Rath coming up later!

(Magnus Whisperer || ISIC's s.o.) #12

Attikus drawn as a gift for a Steam friend’s birthday. It was sent to GBX, however :smile:

Copics are so hazardous, man. He ended up being mega purple :frowning:

(Magnus Whisperer || ISIC's s.o.) #14

Lil’ bean made in Copics, was gifted to GBX.

(Magnus Whisperer || ISIC's s.o.) #15

And a… uh, very poorly drawn crossover :joy:

(Magnus Whisperer || ISIC's s.o.) #16

Speculating that Pendles’ left hand might have originally been his tail, surgery performed by Alani, as they were discussing his health when this happened…

(Magnus Whisperer || ISIC's s.o.) #23

Art interrupted by storytime because a major shift in my mood happened around this time on the timeline, and it’s very important. Since it’s Valentine’s too, there’s no reason not to share the love!

Pendles was the last work I shared from 2016. I hadn’t really been all that productive art-wise in a long time, I felt like the passion was lost. Doing art felt pointless, I felt I had “nothing to say”, no reason to create. I loved Battleborn’s uniqueness and while it gave a small boost to the creativity (as you could see), nothing compares to how vitally important the distraction it provided was.

I was going through very uncertain times but Battleborn kept me occupied. It gave me a character to reflect myself upon and work towards recovery. Focusing on ISIC kept my head straight during the turbulence and he became my main source of willpower, growing really close to my heart. Because of this I can’t just call him a “favorite”, he goes well beyond that. Maybe a soulmate would be more correct? Be as it may, I love this character immensely and owe GBX everything for creating him.

I had to let GBX know about just how much their game helped me out and sent them a letter with some of my art in it, and the response was so overwhelmingly positive I was dumbfounded. I was welcomed and accepted as myself by these wonderful people, and it was an incredible moment for someone who has generally prefered to stay in hiding for the fear of rejection. I felt welcomed, my fear dissipating, so I decided to make this one count. These events kicked in a high gear and in the last 1,5 months I’ve been really productive, doing art now for the simple joy of creation and thankfulness I feel. I’m proud of the new and more confident me, but I couldn’t have done it without Battleborn and all the fantastic, incredible, passionate people that worked hard to make this game happen.

Anyone who questions the importance of video games can come fight me.

All the following art has been made after January 7th :slight_smile:

(Magnus Whisperer || ISIC's s.o.) #24

So.

Once GBX had published my art I joined Twitter to thank them. At the same time, there was very interesting opportunity presenting itself on Jim Foronda’s page. Because of my newly rediscovered confidence I decided to act upon it, resulting in a date with ISIC, that… may have a chance of becoming canon

(Magnus Whisperer || ISIC's s.o.) #25

Ambra drawn for another Steam friend :smiley: silently shakes fist at the headdress

(Magnus Whisperer || ISIC's s.o.) #26

My vote for who could have been Beatrix’s assistant, inspired by Battleplan #34’s lore… (also thanks to @JoesOs for the prompt to draw Kid Ultra)

(Magnus Whisperer || ISIC's s.o.) #27

Deande doodle done in Copic markers, featuring one of my top favorite premium skins, the Saboteur.

(Magnus Whisperer || ISIC's s.o.) #28

Fanart of Beatrix and Orendi, I think these two have a great dynamic :smiley: