Big Donny, A Heartwarming Story

Be careful, this is a bit of a read.

So when I was 1 year old, my father (Glenn Shaw) passed away from complications after a motorcycle accident.

My mother becoming a single parent of 4, had to raise us, the best she could.

By the time I was 4 years old, my mother met someone new, and he would come over every day (I barely remember this, but I can vividly remember him visiting her)

It wasn’t long before she fell in Love. They got together, and he willingly took on the burden that was multiple kids, including 2 bastard sons (1 of them being me lol)

We eventually moved out to his acreage, and lived with him, and he raised us like his sons.

He was about 6’3" and 280 lbs. Mountain of a Man. Kindest, gentlest person I’d ever met, even now.

He raised us tough. Chopping wood, hauling equipment, etc. We grew up harsh, because he knew how harsh life was. It took time, but he became Dad. He earned it.

We weren’t terribly close until I was about 12 years old.

He had his first heart attack when I was 11, so he had to stop working as a Grater operator.

About 6 months later, him and I bonded to a point where we couldn’t be closer.

It was over a video game. We were playing a WWF game at the time, and he would tell me all these stories about when he was a kid, watching wrestling. He even brought up his favorite, Archie ‘The Stomper’ Goldie

Unfortunately he had a second heart attack a couple days later, and was pronounced dead on the scene.

Life has been quite interesting since then, but what matters more is where this story goes.

His name was Big Donny.

We called him that, because of my brother, Donny, who we now call, Little Donny

Most of you can recall, during the missions in this game, you’re tasked with hunting down a mechanic (lets pretend he’s a grater operator lol)

You end up having to KILL Big Donny

Obviously it’s been quite a few years since his death (I’m 30 now) but I can’t stress enough the shock value that was associated with such.

Don’t take this the wrong way, I absolutely LOVED this mission.

I’ll be perfectly honest, I hesitated to get the final blow on him, but I finally did it.

I just wanted to say thank you, because you may not realize it, but that really warmed my heart.

It’s a really cool experience to see my deceased dad in a video game, considering we bonded over that exact thing. *albeit he wasn’t a tink lmfao

It just confirms what I knew when you guys started releasing trailers for this game, that I picked the right company to be loyal to.

I don’t know if anyone from Gearbox will ever read this, but again. Thank you for making gaming great again.

And the rest of you? Please don’t kill my Dad lol

4 Likes

Good read :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile: I’m Jack.

That was nice :+1:.
I can barely imagine the feeling. I’ll have a thought for the real Big Donny next time I run this mission.

1 Like

:slight_smile:
I can honestly admit, he would have absolutely loved this game.

Thanks for this :slight_smile:

1 Like