BL3 banned in the US because of "obscenity" laws?

The laws are written in a way that just about anything could be considered obscene. Considering a lot of people want to ban violent video games, it isn’t completely out of the question.

There have been 3 mainline Borderlands games released in the last 10 years, and one side-story game that followed the setting and tone of those games. None of those had any real threat of being taken off the market. I’m sure some fringe groups protested the Mad Maxesque violence, but it wasn’t enough that I’ve ever heard of it happening.

The only time I’ve heard of games being taken off a marketplace is when they openly promote the idea of violence in a world very similar to our real-life one.
Steam recently removed a game where ■■■■ was promoted as a player choice. There was also that game removed from Steam a few years back, Hatred, which put you in control of a mass murderer in a contemporary setting.
It seems that the more realistic the setting, the more likely a game is going to be in hot water.

Can’t say that Borderlands is particularly realistic, in fact, as the series continues it gets less realistic with each entry. Rage exists, Dishonored exists, any Call of Duty exists, even ■■■■■■■ DOOM still exists. All with no serious threats to be removed from the market.
With all this in mind, I don’t think anybody needs to worry about Borderlands being withheld from the market.

Technically true, but unimaginably unlikely.

I wish you luck and happiness in life, I really do. You seem to worry quite a bit, but I suggest you familiarize yourself with the mindset of the general public a bit more. We weren’t all raised quite as strictly as it seems you were, I’m just saying there’s much less to fret about than it seems.

4 Likes

I have a feeling that in the near future, the government will begin cracking down on anything that isn’t G-rated. If the standards that have been used in the past are used, there will be no problem. But things like school shootings tend to make politicians either make poorly thought out laws (every video game regulation ever), or change the interpretation of current laws (like the bump stock ban).

Take this advice, son. You worry too much. The backlash against the type of legislation you’re talking about would be huge. This isn’t Germany, violent video games aren’t going anywhere no matter what a select few politicians attempt to do.

3 Likes

By that logic they could ban literally anything. My fists could be considered weapons, but they didn’t cut off my hands when I went to elementary school.

Oh, you again. Welcome back, I guess.

3 Likes

And I find censorship obscene and offensive because it restricts mental growth and contributes to the increase of adults in the US that haven’t matured mentally past being a child by not allowing children to figure things out for themselves, so where do they go from there?

If people are going to raise a fit over anything more mature than Teletubbies then it sounds like the next movement in the US needs to be “Melt the Snowflakes”

That said all but the dumbest of the educated idiots serving as politicians would be able to recognize attempting any of the censorship you’re worrying about would be career suicide. I’m not saying all politicians are dumb but on the same note many aren’t smart. I don’t equate going to college as a sign of actual intelligence. Also to be honest people are far more prone to do stupid things they see on TV, Movies, and YouTube. I mean… people thought eating Tide Pods was a good idea. Maybe we should just abolish all warning labels and start holding people accountable for their own bad decisions instead of seeking to shift blame on to something else?

That’s what I’m saying. There is a non-insignificant chance anything not G-rated will be considered “obscene” in the near future. I’m not so worried about the violence, as that has been shown to be constitutionally protected multiple times. It’s more the innuendo that I’m worried about. I’m afraid that someone in power will apply 1899 standards to a game in 2019.

As multiple people have said… chill ya butt, kiddo. The chances of that are astronomical. If you truly aren’t trolling then just know this: if they were going to do something then news about it would have already come out. If that still isn’t enough to quench the paranoia, then recognize that it’ll take years to effectively pass any regulations or laws that can have the effect of banning BL3 (or games like it) and States have powers to check such laws and could very well allow such banned things.

I don’t know how you got to be so worried about the possibility that this game (or similar things) might be banned due to a few jokes about dicks, but just know that literally 90% of the entertainment business would be banned if that happened. The people who write such legislature would cripple their own lined pockets and they sure as hell ain’t gonna do that.

3 Likes

As multiple people have said… chill ya butt, kiddo. The chances of that are astronomical. If you truly aren’t trolling then just know this: if they were going to do something then news about it would have already come out. If that still isn’t enough to quench the paranoia, then recognize that it’ll take years to effectively pass any regulations or laws that can have the effect of banning BL3 (or games like it) and States have powers to check such laws and could very well allow such banned things.
I don’t know how you got to be so worried about the possibility that this game (or similar things) might be banned due to a few jokes about dicks, but just know that literally 90% of the entertainment business would be banned if that happened. The people who write such legislature would cripple their own lined pockets and they sure as hell ain’t gonna do that.

I’m not talking about new laws, I’m talking about twisting existing laws (specifically the Miller Test).

@fidothegran

Might I suggest that you post in the political discussion ongoing in the off-topic section?

1 Like