BL3 Cosmetic Options

Will we be able to unlock skins and heads like in BL2 and be able to buy optional packs (DLC) like before or is this a dreaded nickel-and-dime the customer scheme? I am for DLC-like things, but I can’t afford to buy a bunch of small things in a game I will have to pay like $60 for. I understand that a company can choose to do things they want to, but there is a limit to such things before it becomes abusive to customers and that is actually immoral. Well, that’s my two cents on the matter. Have a g’day everybody here on the forums and at Gearbox.

2 Likes

Yes you can find heads and skins.

4 Likes

Randy P. stated on several occasions micro-transactions or “gamer milking” never was an option.
He said at the live reveal -"If it’s not broken. Don’t fix it! and I’ll add how the game is monetized to the other things they done (apparently) right.

One thing I noticed tho. Look like gun skins can be customized too! They could too be available from both drops and packs.

2 Likes

And 2K (the ones who most likely sign his paychecks) like the idea of micro-transactions. We saw a great deal of purchasable DLC cosmetics for BL2 and I imagine we’ll get a double dose of that with BL3 given it appears that weapon and car customization will probably be a thing. I’m not a fan of not putting game content into the game from the start, but I recognize that the gaming industry has trends of charging a lot of money for stuff. Way back when it was paying per hour for online game subscriptions. For MMOs it’s the monthly subscription, for a lot of games these days it’s extra DLC/cosmetic items (Lookin’ at you Team Ninja).

Ultimately, I hope they don’t go completely insane with micro-transaction DLC cosmetics or anything (unless they’re included in the season pass. If so then go nuts, devs), but as we live in the beginnings of that neon covered corporate future hell-scape you see in all those films and stuff… (sigh) We’ll see.

Bring all the dlc cosmetics you want. I will buy what i like. Why not? I don’t see how dlc cosmetics would affect anyone but in a positive way… If you got FOMO and no money, that’s just something you’ll have to live with. But if it doesn’t affect the game play or give an advantage, i don’t understand why anyone would be upset about it. I love customization so the more the merrier. I’m sure the base game will provide more than our money’s worth

6 Likes

I certainly agree with that. I dont mind buying cosmetic stuff if i like what i see. I never cared about the extra skins in BL2 though. There were plenty in the main game that i liked more.
BUT i can also understand the other side. Who says that they did not cut it from BL3 to sell them later? If we accept practises like that then we get less and less cosmetic stuff from the main game itself.
But honestly, i have face in GB.
I also understand that 2k and GB want money. But i think that GB understands that they need to have an amazing game first. So they focus on that rather than focusing on how to get all your money.
When the game is amazing and people love it then they spend money anyway.

2 Likes

I’m sure we’re all aware of Randy Pitchford’s response to a Game Informer tweet. I think he should have let it slide but I absolutely understand his point.

The BL franchise has had microtransactions since 2012. Yet when you think of the animosity towards MTX over the last few years, have you ever heard Borderlands being vilified? No.

MTX became egregious (good word :smiley: ) when games started to include mechanics to encourage, prompt or, even, force you to buy additional items to make the game bearable. Think of the change to the shader system in Destiny 2. There are many games out there that have tuned their “grind” to make players turn to MTX.

Borderlands, on the other hand, has nothing in the gameplay to make you buy stuff. In fact, just playing the game gives you lots of cosmetic choices for free. Cosmetics don’t interest me but I understand they are important to some players. Borderlands gives you the option if you want to buy something special. Personally, I have thousands of hours in the franchise and have never bought a thing.

Yes, both approaches use “microtransactions” but, in common parlance, the term has come to represent their manipulative use. I think Randy Pitchford wanted to differentiate between a game, like BL3, that gives you a free choice to buy something extra and a game that virtually forces you to spend your money.

4 Likes

The likes I just gave were meant to convey wholehearted enthusiastic agreement and approval.

1 Like

Considering how the term ‘microtransaction’ has morphed into something unpleasant I think he would be better off stating that BL3 won’t have pay to win mechanics. Buying cosmetic items is still a mircotransaction Mr Pitchford, even if they have absolutely no affect on playing the game.

3 Likes

Not saying I wouldn’t appreciate a few bonus cosmetic items up for purchase (especially if they’re crazy cool/obtainable in game) and I don’t think they’re gonna put pay to win mechanics or purchasable… Eridium… hmm… but I’m not going to hold my breath when it comes to these things.

1 Like

I noticed during the gameplay in the Quick Change station that the options for Skins and for Colors are separate… hmm…

1 Like

In the vehicle customization, you can select different themes, these come with a pattern and a set of highlight colors. You can change up the highlight colors. I think you can do a similar thing with your character.

2 Likes

This is my exact thoughts on the matter. The lingo has been robbed and abused by the interwebz.

1 Like