Bl3 delayed by movie?

Didn’t know what to put this under, so I put it under the most general topic

Could Borderlands 3 be delayed due to the production of a Borderlands movie? While it could just be different people hunting a different vault, could it have some effect, small or large, that would force the writers to wait for a script so they could write? Take tales from the Borderlands. A spin-off of the franchise, but it included some huge plot points that will affect Borderlands 3.

What are your thoughts, and do you think that it would be wise for the movie to include some important stuff?

I never knew of a BL3 delay, they just started working on it in 2015 and have not put out anyone on even a range of release. Most people are speculating late 2018 to early 2019, thinking a 3+ year development time.

Now those are just guesses on how long it takes to make a full game like borderlands.

We also know little about the movie other than the producers, its going to be a flagship franchise, and the production house.

That i s true, I was just saying that waiting for a script for the movie and having to work with that would put the game back to 2019 or even 2020, because of them having to rework their ideas.

As for the movie, we do know that it will be made by a big comic movie person, which could help, but he would probably want a very inclusive script which could hurt the amount of story in bl3

Given the body of existing Borderlands lore (from the three games plus Tales plus the origin comics), I don’t think there would be any point in waiting for a movie script. I know there is this thing about making games for co-release that basically play the same plot, but there’s really no need to tie them that closely. It would make more sense for a Borderlands movie to be based somewhere along the BL-TPS time-line and have BL3 set following the end of Tales.

3 Likes

That is a good point. They could even make it about the fall of Helios, as that would be for great cinematic effect

They could also just start at the begining of bl1 or even go further back to the orgins of the vault hunters, etc…

Either way the movie was announced before they said they stared on bl3 or around the same time. I would assume they come out around the same time to double up on marketing, that would be the smart move and if they already know what they want to do as a story for the movie (I’m guessing that was part of the deal) then there is no reason they can’t get the movie done in the same time frame.

1 Like

The only problem with that is that the only people who would “get” the movie, would be those who’ve played the games. If you start thinking about what you’d have to explain in a LotR-style prologue, it would basically be a movie anyway!

1 Like

Another reason I think they will start at the beginning or even before bl1 is they got this as a Flagship Franchise. Lions gate is kinda up against the wall with the big summer movies, Warner has DC, Disney has Marvel and Star Wars, another stuido (I forget the name) has all the giant monster movies…

Lions Gate needs something to compete, it had twilight and hunger games and video game movies could be the next comic book movies.

So if they start at the beginning they can do 1-2 movies out of each game pretty easily, that’s 3-6 movies. If it hits big enough they can pull a star wars/avengers and have main movies and spin offs on certain characters. That’s a ton of films, so I doubt they will start so far into it all.

That’s part of the beauty of Borderlands, you have so much to tell. Moxxi or the Hammerlock family is largely untold, they could do so much more than just the games. Just look at Tales with all new characters that was amazing.

5 Likes

And with the mystery tapes given to the characters at the beginning of the game could be used as origin stories and stuff

I also want them to get him to direct it

2 Likes

I just don’t want Michael bay to do it. He focuses mostly on hot girls and explosions, which is not theain focus of Borderlands at all

2 Likes

He is producing it, mixed record but I have faith. I doubt Bay is in the picture

I will feel a lot better when they announce writers and director though.

2 Likes

Me too. I hope that it won’t be live action, as one of Borderland’s main assets is its art style

It will be this is a Flagship Franchise, in America there has never been a adult animated successful blockbuster. I doubt they are going to break the mold with this.

I would bet a ton of money on it being live action. This isn’t going to be some little indie film its going to be a pretty big budget franchise.

That being said these big comic/sci-fi movies are 50% or more CGI so they can keep it stylized while being live action.

Plus we had tales and that was like playing a animated borderlands movie, so I don’t want that. I want a live action big movie.

3 Likes

That is true. Hopefully they can make it very enthralling so that we like it despite its lack of art style

Live action does not mean a lack of stylization at all, go look at wes anderson films for an example or tarentino movies. You can heavily stylize in live action, and like I edited in above after you posted this it will most likely be half cgi or more.

You can’t live action skags after all… The good thing about it being a big budget movie is they can afford to make it look like borderlands in live action.

3 Likes

A long as Uwe Boll is on no way, shape or form involved in anything Borderlands related, I’m sure the Borderlands franchise will be fine.

Forum ID: Poisd2Strike
GT: Poisd2Strike
Trades: http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/poisd2strikes-humble-shop/367700
Gun Prefixes | Gun Parts | Max Stats
Maya OP8 | Banshee RR / NRR | Binder | Cat | Nurse | Siren | Trickster B / M

2 Likes

Live action, yes - just say “no” to cell-shading on the actors though!

My guess would be something along the lines of Sin City.

Forum ID: Poisd2Strike
GT: Poisd2Strike
Trades: http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/t/poisd2strikes-humble-shop/367700
Gun Prefixes | Gun Parts | Max Stats
Maya OP8 | Banshee RR / NRR | Binder | Cat | Nurse | Siren | Trickster B / M

2 Likes

What is uwe boll?