BL3 needs a Legendary difficulty for maxed out players

I’m a big fan of Mayhem and I think the scaling and modifiers do a great job of satisfying a lot of difficulty demands. However with my end game character specced out really well (splash damage focus Moze with Lifeless) and the insane damage a lot of guns do, I’m still 1 or 2 shotting a lot of enemies.

The game gives such an amazing variety of OP weapons that do some wonderful things but it also means they’re so far and away more powerful, especially when synergised with the right builds, than the “normal” guns that a normal difficulty scaling becomes useless. A legendary difficulty tuned for maxed out players who have the best gear is something a lot of games have.

I love this game because I can’t remember a game that gave you such insane freedom in weapons; I don’t feel locked into using any sort of weapon and am currently carrying about 30 different guns that I rotate between simply because they’re all viable - that is NUTS! But at the same time they’re all so viable because I’m so incredibly overpowered vs what I’m going up against. That, combined with a large part of the enemy force being made up of melee enemies means my biggest threat to my own safety is in fact my own self; I down myself way WAY more often than an enemy does. Hell my primary concern when playing is never keeping the enemies away to protect me from them, it’s simply to protect me from my own explosions lol.

Creating a legendary difficulty wherein only the top end builds need apply would be such a great addition, as as much fun as I’m having at the moment, simply walking through every encounter, including bosses that take literally 5s to die, is getting a bit tired :confused:

6 Likes

As long as there’s no progression or gear locked behind it. And for the real nutters they should put in one of those Ironman modes where death is final.

2 Likes

What should really happen is actual balancing so that either OP weapon get nerfed into beind somewhat normal again, which make M10 hard enough as it is, or UP all the other ones to be the equal of the overperforming one (which seem to be the choice gearbox made) and then difficulty will need to be re-thought at some point.

Balancing come first

2 Likes

I believe they’ve stated before the intent is to add more Mayhem levels. This won’t solve the endgame difficulty for builds whose damage can scale with Mayhem gun damage, and it raises some questions as to how they’re going to keep scaling the modifiers (when performance is a constant concern).

However, it does open up possibilities for content that scales beyond what our builds are capable of putting out (assuming the Mayhem enemy scalar ends up higher than the gun damage scalar, for example).

Or…remove player and gun scaling and suddenly mayhem 10 is what you are asking for^^

8 Likes

Runs counter to the stated intent of introducing higher Mayhem levels, though. For Mayhem to be scalable beyond M10, gun scaling a) has to be present, and b) has to work. Which is probably why they keep messing with gun balance.

I’m not saying there are things they couldn’t be doing better with the gun balance, I’m explaining the principle of having it at all. Otherwise M10 would be a pretty hard barrier, and M11+ wouldn’t work unless they started giving us a lot more levels to work with.

The only reason people want mayhem 10+ is because 10 is too easy because everything scales and it doesn’t even become harder
What’s short fuse gonna do on mayhem 20? 700% weapon damage?

I don’t know! But I’m not talking about what people want. I’m saying that’s what Gearbox said (from memory at this point). The intent was to add more Mayhem levels. Ergo, guns (or something similarly powerful) have to scale, otherwise there’s a hard limit on the Mayhem levels they can add.

why would they want to add more mayhem other but because people are complaining that its too easy (which has a pretty obvious reason)

The stated intent to add to Mayhem predates player reactions. They obviously have (had) a plan, however possible it has been for them this year to execute it. Who knows. Maybe they’ve changed tracks internally.

I’m a fan of a “Legendary” like difficulty the OP is suggesting, at least. Endgame needs an end, even if there’s a lot of scaling difficulties to get through to get there. I’m not well read-up on Diablo’s Torment for example - I don’t know how they keep it fresh.

Ya I’ll admit I never understood including scaling with mayhem weapons. You’re scaling difficulty…but then scaling the weapons to keep up it doesn’t make sense lol. At least use wider numbers; half the weapon damage increases and double the enemy buffs

their idea was “progression”
so you can farm for more/higher stuff without throwing skill trees out of balance, i guess
but since you can just jump on mayhem 10 instantly and get all your gear, its completely irrelevant
weapon scaling was “weird” but when they added character skill scaling, i was out xD

2 Likes

I do get why they did it because outside of Moze and using an unoptimised/long time used character (I edited a bunch so I could jump straight into max levels) some of the other chars are wildly underpowered unless you get a really good synergy.

It just feels like players who put effort into making a top tier build have nowhere to flex it. The takedowns have a good difficulty though, although I think they’re scaled to 4 players by default ?

you can get to ~+300% weapon damage with perfect rolls
you dont need the mayhem scaling to do it for you
this game is about farming the right gear and that should reward you with good damage in the end
none asked for instantly 1 shooting stuff in mayhem 10 right away
but thats what they did with scaling up stuff like ties that bind ,fitsd or short fuse

A not so subtle reminder:

• Directing disparaging remarks against other players/posters is not appropriate
  • If something is inappropriate, flag it rather than retaliating in kind

Please read the FORUM RULES

1 Like

i did flag :x
but it seems the message that was actually inappropriate (go play an other game) wasnt hidden
edit thank you

Community flags don’t automatically hide things; they do alert the moderation team to take a look. We can’t respond instantly to every flag, however.

yea
thats what i was about
that you gonna hide the actual bad post and not mine because im always the bad guy xD

Like I pointed out before the harder the mayhem level the less gear that is viable to use. We will be back at square one again like when M10 released where there was very little viable gear.

I say keep it at M10. I couldn’t be bothered to keep going in a circle of no viable gear, Devs buff gear, new harder mayhem level, no viable gear to use and so on. It took gearbox several months to sort M10 and it’s still not 100%, please not again just no.

Agreed. It would be a very dangerous and irresponsible thing for the developers to do at this point given what we have been through with M4 and M2.0. See also, Einstein’s definition of insanity.