BL3 PC Epic Exclusivity, 146m to take two

Interesting, 146m for platform exclusivity.
That’s a lot of money.
Lotta money, mayhaps if they turned around and threw it at the game as opposed to whatever the heck else they’re doing.

8 Likes

Wow would be nice if they used that $146 million to, I dont know… do whatever they can to fix the f*cking rampant crashing issues on the Xbox One/Series X?

Nah… instead it probably all went towards hiring Kevin Hart for their movie :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

I still waited until it was released on Steam, and then only bought it when it went on sale. Really not a fan of store-exclusive releases.

4 Likes

It was a deal between 2K and Epic. Gearbox had nothing to do with it.

7 Likes

I clicked the like button to your post 675,897 times but it is only registering 1 time, sorry but know the intent was there.

Or as @GBX would say “We have seen reported concerns about people unable to like posts on threads and are aware of the problem and looking into it but as for fixing it not at this time.”

4 Likes

Quoting this because it’s true.

Gearbox don’t decide what 2K does with their business. It’s not on Gearbox to allocate the money effectively, because it’s not their money.

By all means, criticise 2K for the apparent lack of investment in resolving in various issues plaguing BL3. But beating the “Gearbox bad” horse is just plain wrong.

14 Likes

Developers do the work of making and fixing the games.
Publishers in gaming are like Distributors in Music - they get the product out into the marketplace.
One hand washes the other. Developers need to be paid to support their products, and the funds to do so should come from the Publisher. If the developer and publisher both feel their product is in a good place, or that the support isn’t worth the cost to resolve issues, it will go unsupported.

If consumers don’t vote with their money by not buying the product, or fail to voice concerns in large numbers when they feel their purchase not been honored, it creates a situation where money will be pocketed and games will remain under-cooked.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure most people know this, but considering how well Borderlands 3 and SP1 sold, and this $146 million received from EPIC- theres zero excuse to why game breaking issues (like crashing player’s consoles every 5 minutes) are still around. Like, there are players who still cant finish DLC3 because Ruiner shuts off their console.

So yes, while we are aware it wasnt an art designer at GBX who made this deal, it’s a really, really bad look in eyes of players who are still waiting for issues the game launched with to be fixed.

2 Likes

Yeah, I mean 146m went for BL3 exclusivity, and while it was sent to take two, I’m sure some of that hit the devs at some point. Like, how many people are on the BL3 team? How many people are on the BL3 payroll at take two?
Divide that 146m, assuming that everyone gets a portion, it’s still a sizeable amount of money.
While I believe people should be paid for the work they do and get to go on vacations and such, the financing of this game and it’s development still leave some polish to be desired.
Like. That is a ton of money.

2 Likes

Why assume that? How many times to companies make massive amounts of money from something and employees don’t see a dime?

Remember, the devs DIDN’T get the bonuses they expected, and that wasn’t even from 2K, but GBX’s own profits. So I doubt they saw anything beyond what they expected to make.

3 Likes

I mean it’s gotta go somewhere. Should I assume it just went to Randy’s pockets and movie production? Maybe BL4 Production?

1 Like

Investments elsewhere? I’m not going to pretend I know all of the things a publishers spends money on operationally, but I think anyone who has a job knows that money that comes into a business goes out thousands of different places, most of them invisible. There are dozens of places the money could’ve gone besides the devs or Randy’s pocket.

Also, GBX isn’t paying for the movie, Paramount studios are. If anything they are probably making money on the movie for having (presumably) some kind of royalty for using the IP.

1 Like

Yeah I mean without a receipt we’ll never know, but trying to speculate what a game company is spending money on is kinda fun. Especially when we’re in the hundreds of millions. Like… Like take a game like Valheim for instance, a 5 man team with a undisclosed budget- They’re rolling in it and being communicative with the community. I guess the scalability, the bigger a company gets the greater gap of communication there is?
I just can’t picture all these hundreds of millions of dollars being made and then having issues like UI scaling, stuttering, etc. etc.

1 Like

And that is where I think we can all agree…what the money didn’t go towards.

1 Like

Just from a bit of personal experience, you can have an asset that on the surface looks like it’s making a lot of money, but isn’t compared to other things. For example, that 146 mil could have been diverted into NBA since that is a yearly title with a lot more profit margin. As much as we complain, it’s not as if spending a ton of money on improving BL3 is going to make 2K tons of money at this point, and if the next Borderlands game sells a few less copies in the future because some players feel they got burned, it won’t mean much to them in the face of this immediate multi-million $ payout.

1 Like

This isn’t an assumption you can safely make.

You want it to be true so you can use it as an argument against Gearbox, but that doesn’t make it true. 2K ( / Take-Two) own Gearbox. 2K got the money. Beyond that we know nothing, and for all we know, that money was invested elsewhere.

For every magical hypothetical made (on this topic) to justify criticism of Gearbox, an opposite can be dreamt up. Criticism is stronger when it’s founded on something concrete.

“my game still crashes on a modern console” is concrete.

“a video game publisher got money out of a business deal so why can’t a video game developer fix more bugs” is not.

6 Likes

The most interesting thing to me in that article is the copies sold.

According to it, BL3 sold 1.56 million copies on PC in the first weeks. That’s actually pretty impressive for a barebones launcher like Epic Game Store, since BL3 was it’s first big hit. With the around 2M copies (according to Steam DB) sold on Steam as well as the number of copies of Borderlands that sold over time in the EGS as well, that means that about 4-5M copies of BL3 were sold on PC, which is around 12 million copies thus far (according to movie cast news reports)

I don’t know what the results are for other platforms, but with that report it seems fairly certain that PC is the leading platform for Borderlands games, followed by Playstation.

That data will be confused, because there are people who bought the game on PS or XB so they could jump in without paying Epic, but then bought it on Steam when it became available/on sale. I don’t think any of the market totals include that sort of analysis in their figures, though.

“why can’t a video game developer fix bugs” is kinda where I’m at

1 Like

Which has no relation to their publisher getting an influx of cash. Seriously, none. My wage doesn’t magically go up because the company that owns my company signed a deal. I don’t get new coworkers because of that. Parent company budgets are a completely separate thing to my available resources and the prioritisation of the tasks I have in my backlog (which my manager will decide on).

(FYI I work in regular software, not games, but it’s roughly analogous in terms of development methodology, assuming sprint-based development)

1 Like