BL3 Went full Leftist, so many subliminal leftist agendas in the campaign

And this is what completely mystifies me. Folks are saying that this is a problem. I really don’t get it.

3 Likes

For some reason it seems to be an affront if a game company is not completely politically aligned with, I don’t know, every single gamer.

Dire times, when those companies are allowed to be anything but right-wing and even worse, produce games with a cast that ain’t all straight white male with a generous helping of eye-candy.

Someone should complain and moan about that! Oh wait, that’s what this thread seems to be about…

Seriously? Wait a moment…
ditches plague doctor beak, digs out tin foil hat
Continue, please.

See PsychicHazard’s post on that.

Is that assumption field-tested?

Oh, cute. A funny person…

6 Likes

wow im surprised this s*** aint been lock yet lmao seems like it took me foreever to read this thread…but i have no dog in this fight really i could careless just wanted to say whats up yall…:v:

Brick and Mordecai are sparsely used - whichever isn’t strange given how they’re part of the original vault hunting team but aren’t given as much praise as Lilith. Which is unfortunate as thy were a big part of stopping Jack in 2.

Hammerlock and Jacobs were gay - gonna day this again, this isn’t a homophobic remark as I absolutely love their relationship and the part it had in the story. They were at least somewhat capable I guess.

As for Zer0, he was really dumbed down. All his lines were basically ‘My sword is cool’ and said nothing after the death of Maya. He praised her as a badass once but all his other lines? They poke at him being a complete weeb.

Compared his lines in Tales to 3 - yes a different company made Tales but still the same character - and he is incredibly different.

In fact a lot of characters I’d argue changed dramatically in 3 with no real reason. And a lot of them, females included, weren’t for the better.

Lilith is a good example of this. I wanted to see her again - the slightly dorky but fiery woman I knew in 2. Who would rather be dead than be a damsel. Not whine about not knowing what she is through the whole game. Let her be a leader - show that fire again.

All characters I feel were done dirty in this game tbh

1 Like

Maya & Lilith are both sexy & beautiful in my opinion and they’re top notch characters. I also think Moxxi & Ellie are fantastic characters and they absolutely own their sexuality.

What I said is that female characters don’t have to be beautiful or sexy or cute or funny to be great characters. I have no clue where you got the idea that I said being any of these things excludes them from being great characters.

2 Likes

This, again? Canned response:

"Honestly. Read these threads, please:

And the forum rules:

And then, please, just try and deal with the fact that non-binary folks exist, that Gearbox promote inclusiveness, and that on this forum, it’s considered polite to use they/them.

If that’s really too much to ask, I can only suggest that you go somewhere else. No-one here cares what you call them in-game or in the safety of another discussion platform.

I’ll take any questions via pm."

8 Likes

I don’t like the correlation of sexuality with this, I don’t feel there is something inherently shameful in regards to attraction and the human body, and I feel the industry understanding and learning that it has a place is important.

People are allowed to enjoy fan-service as well, there is nothing shameful about that (or worth harassing artists online and sending death threats for…).

Separately, I feel there needs to be a separated understanding of agenda driven rhetoric and media, which I feel is usually harmful, poorly done, and is the reason behind many peoples frustration. And work that respects the intellect of the consumer and speaks more so the human condition and freedom of thought that any particular forced subject.

I would be willing to criticize Gearbox’s work if I felt they were creating it from a mean-spirited point of view, and I feel its important that the people on this forum to acknowledge that this is an issue, even if it is a vocal minority. But I don’t think it is at all applicable to this game, I think it mostly just stems from poor writing.

Thank you for clarifying, I wasn’t necessarily trying to assume as to your point, but mostly speak overall. I do feel there is some unfortunate pushes for censorship and alterations of pre-established characters that I feel are unhealthy and immature, but nothing related to Gearbox.

2 Likes

This will never end. People will be expressing their anxiety and distress over having to recognise the pronoun ‘they’ until the Gearbox servers burn up at the heat death of the universe. The mods have been put into the post of Yossarian, unable to escape their very own fl4k-22.

8 Likes

I can understand it to some extent due to Fl4k being a robot (even if I feel enforcement seems a bit extreme), and I have no qualms with trying to respect people and be a decent person. But I have intellectual qualms and a sense of confusion at concept of non binary as a concept applicable to humans, and I don’t scientifically understand it.

I suppose I disagree with the concept overall at the moment, but I don’t see it as a big deal either way, and am willing to have my opinion changed, I just don’t really understand it.

I was curious what this reference was, but I’m curious about Schornm’s as well now.

1 Like

they need to make a straight up alien now something playable thats not human or humanoid…robots dont count im talking like the watcher or some s*** maybe i would like to play as an alien lol sure they could make some op builds for that lmao…

Ah, dear Dinesh D’Souza is… basically an alt-right troll, but he claims to be a historian. Before the 2016 election he made an absolutely ridiculous film called Hillary’s America in which he tried to make the same case suggested above - that because the Democrats were a party of slavery (a history which he claimed they’ve covered up… a case somewhat undermined by the fact that this is taught in US schools) they are, today, somehow also propagating these views and have only won respect through propaganda / mind control.

If you can imagine Joseph Goebbels making an episode of Drunk History, you’ll have a pretty good idea what the film is like.

Anyway I’ve no idea if OP is a fan but it is the same (absurd) argument.

Howard Zinn is a qualified historian and wrote my personal favourite history of the US, but any academic account of US political history offers a pretty decent counterargument. There’s plenty to dislike about the modern Democratic party without indulging in conspiracies.

5 Likes

Ah, full leftist thread. You had a good run. But, as always, ad hominem and a lack of manners have reared their ugly head. I hope that humor and respect may once again rise to a position of prominence as we satirize humanity’s utter lack of self reflection.

2 Likes

The fight shows that Athena’s ability was almost entirely down to skill. Physical strength had something to do with it, but very little. I don’t think she’d be able to curl an engine block, and neither would Amara.

Big difference between eye-candy characters and one that is sexually attractive. Tifa from FFVII is a crush of an entire generation of young boys, and she is sexually attractive, not just eye-candy. Or at least in the context that Paul seemed to be saying it, he was distinguishing between those whose only addition is ‘golly they’re cute’.

I am beginning to feel like that scene in Ace Ventura where everyone bows the moment they hear Shikaka. Was everyone waiting to kneel upon hearing the God-Emperor’s name and felt deviously tricked when it turned out to be Chicago… I meaan Donald Trump… I mean Daniel Traunt?

Donald Ttttddddduck. Did I get you?

The men were either idiots or gays!? They made the men gays!?

Aaaaand a black guy!?

Gearbox does your depravity know no bounds!?

I think you and I should march down there and insist that the cast be almost entirely male and straight. That’ll teach people not to impose something on some one else…

11 Likes

I dunno. Is the world ready for this kind of bizarre innovation?

4 Likes

This was me last night.

2 Likes

Just heard a song by James Brown, it seems to speak of a time in the future where the world is a ‘Man’s World’ I was very confused.

I ignored him because I was busy counting how many homosexuals there may have been in the audience as it could’ve all been a clever ploy.

4 Likes

I’m not certain I agree with this, the actual choreography of the fight suffered due to it being on the Telltale engine, but it showed Athena was able to match Bricks strength in a head on collision. I don’t think we know enough about Amara to rule her our either. If you don’t use General Pollux’s eye on the security door, Athena rips it open and gives Fiona a lady boner.

The Pre Sequel intro also shows Mordecai and Brick more severely injured, insinuating Athena had further scuffles as a captive while they were transporting her.

It’s interesting how the distinction of sexuality seems to fall back to the point, poor writing, rather than the actual character design.

Examples that irk me are probably Tomb Raider and Mortal Kombat, which I find especially amusing due to their obsession with cartoony violence and machismo male designs. The concept of sexuality being diametrically opposed to maturity comes across as stifled and regressive to me.

Athena uses a sword and shield, dives at Brick from a great distance and swings. He swats that entire attack away with one arm. Despite her using several tools to gain an advantage and him using; ‘I am actually quite large’. Nearly everything she does in that fight she does by way of skill. Of which she has more than enough. I think it’s also implied when he begins opening doors the size of tanks that he was meant to be the only one capable of doing it.

His physical strength is unrivaled and I’d be surprised if that wasn’t his gimmick by now.

2 Likes

No, Athena charges with the shield at Brick’s metal gauntlet, the force cancels each-other out. The metal wouldn’t redistribute the strength needed by either party.

Like i said before bl3 is more left leaning or at least way more open about it thin bl2 was.

I do think it effected the humor a lot once u have to start worrying about everyone’s feelings of course its going to take a hit.

BUt i do think its going a bit far to the point of bans on miss misgendering pixels.

Article by a lgbt and called( that damn near everyone in the Borderlands universe falls under the LGBTQIA+ banner)

And thats not meant as hate in any way the Article was a good read id link or even post it but i dont think its ok to do it id have to read over the rules .

I think one prob some have is when we play a game or watch a movie we tend to latch on to people or ch’s that we can identity with on diff lvs.U get the idea on where thats going with out me needing to say more lol.

1 Like