Black screen when trying to start?

Hi guys,
When I try to start the game I get the 2K logo, the Gearbox logo and then it just stops at a black screen.
The process still says ‘running’ instead of not responding, and I can ALT-TAB it no issues at all.

I’ve verified my cache.
The game worked flawlessly in the last beta.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

I had the same thing and to fix it i updated my graphic card. After that it seemed to work. Though i did get an error after that about my .exe not working.
If you get that error, then follow the steam instructions . (Something about deleting youre cashe"something" folder in the steam directory. And restarting your pc. Then the game will update again and you should be able to play.

Maybe the last thing wil already work for you.
Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

I just updated my drivers, rebooted my PC, verified the cache again,
If I skip the intros I can get right up to the screen that says ‘PhysX’ but it still just sits on a black screen.

I’m going to reboot the PC one more time.

Try this:

Please follow the steps below to initiate a small download of the missing content:
1.Completely exit Steam.
2.Navigate to your Steam installation folder (~C:\Program Files\Steam)
3.Delete the ‘appcache’ folder.
4.Restart your computer and attempt to launch the game through Steam

1 Like

Just gave that a try, still no good, the ‘lock up’ seems to be at a specific time after starting the game as I can skip the first 2 intros and it’ll get right up to the PhysX logo, but if I don’t skip it only gets past the first 2 logos.

I think I’m just going to give up, already wasted a couple hours trying to get it to work before I came here.

Thanks for your help mate.

Ah well :frowning: anyway youre welcome.

Hopefully someone els postes some ideas to fix it for you.

1 Like

After trying it a couple more times, it now gets to the splash screen with all the characters and then turns black.
If I leave it sit for a while windows prompts me to go to ‘basic mode’ to save memory or something along those lines.

Really weird issue.

I’ve figured it out!

After screwing around with and game I noticed it would boot all the way to the agreement if I had the steam overlay on.
I took a look in the .INI files for a while I found one for window mode in PoplarEngine.ini, I set window mode to 1 and it booted all the way in, set the game to ‘borderless window’ in the options menu and it’s perfectly fine now!

Hope this helps anyone else with a similar issue!