Blender DAE Exporter for HWRM

(D Kesserich) #161

Unfortunately, no. Blender’s default DAE importer dies on Gearbox’s DAEs, and since the DAEs that the exporter in the Blender toolkit spits out are designed to mimic that format almost exactly, Blender can’t read them in again. Only workaround right now is to convert the DAE to an FBX and then import that into Blender.

Someday maybe I’ll have time to really dig into figuring out xml parsing and also creating meshes using Python commands in Blender and write an importer, but I don’t know when that’ll be.

Of course if anyone else wants to take a crack at it and contribute it to the toolkit, that’d be awesome.

(Lazer72) #162

Wait really?

(Sastrei) #163

@dkesserich is there a way to manually re-orient the local coordinates for empties? All of my turrets are Z-up instead of Z-forward.

(D Kesserich) #164

You can just rotate them all 90 degrees on X. I’m not sure how your turrets could’ve turned into Z-up, though. Even if you applied their rotations they’d be locked to the coordinate system of the ship, which should be Z-forward.

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #166

I’m having a strange issue with an “un-reset xforms” error in HODOR.

I have tried:

1. Doing nothing

2. ctrl+A and “Rotation & Scale” on everything

3. ctrl+A and “Rotation” on everything

4. ctrl+A and “Rotation” on just the joint, as suggested here:

In all cases HODOR gives me the same “un-reset xform” error for both COL and LOD0 meshes. Strangley, everything looks fine until I export the DAE, then it all goes crazy and rotates/scales stuff…

Any ideas?

blend file here (before any ctrl+A done…)

(Sastrei) #167

@dom2 you have animation keyframes on a bunch of stuff, including your engine joint and root lod

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #168

Ah, yes that is a bit odd. I removed all the animation keyframes but I’m still having this issue. I have tried not ctrl+A at all, ctrl+A on everything and ctrl+A just on the joints… I thought that should solve it?

EDIT: file without animationn keyframes here:

(D Kesserich) #169

2 things: Your root empties have unapplied Scale transforms. But the big thing is that your mesh data isn’t the same name as the mesh object:

Those highlighted values need to be the same. So COL[Root] needs to be COL[Root] all the way down, as does MULT[trp_ioncannonfrigate]_LOD[0]

“Check for un-reset xforms?” is probably the worst error message ever.

(BitVenom) #170

Well, if it makes you feel better, next release I’ll add ‘or you’ve misnamed your mesh object…’

:wink:

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #171

Thanks, that fixed it!

(Gregorymthompso1) #172

I don’t understand that first paragraph.[quote=“DKesserich, post:161, topic:125078, full:true”]
Unfortunately, no. Blender’s default DAE importer dies on Gearbox’s DAEs, and since the DAEs that the exporter in the Blender toolkit spits out are designed to mimic that format almost exactly, Blender can’t read them in again. Only workaround right now is to convert the DAE to an FBX and then import that into Blender.

Someday maybe I’ll have time to really dig into figuring out xml parsing and also creating meshes using Python commands in Blender and write an importer, but I don’t know when that’ll be.

Of course if anyone else wants to take a crack at it and contribute it to the toolkit, that’d be awesome.
[/quote]

so what language is the DAE importer written in?

(BitVenom) #173

DAE is a standard format. The DAEs that MAX exports/imports (which I based HODOR’s transport logic on) - aren’t DAEs that Blender likes. I’m sure somebody could augment Blender to like them, but who knows when that person will step up or have time - it won’t be me… I have bigger issues to deal with for a while.

(Sastrei) #174

Python.

(D Kesserich) #175

An importer could be written in Python. Blender’s built in Collada stuff is actually all C++, I believe done with the official Collada Framework, but it hasn’t been maintained properly in I don’t know how long, which is why I opted to modify a different python based exporter for this (that and I haven’t done any C++ programming in ~13 years, so couldn’t begin to wrap my head around that code).

3DS Max’s Collada output appears to be some weird hybrid of Collada and FBX, where it’s using Collada’s XML schema, but a lot of stuff seems to be using some FBX style syntax, which I’m pretty sure is why Blender and a handful of other programs that I tried couldn’t seem to handle opening them. Visual Studio could open it because it actually incorporates the FBX SDK, which Blender can’t for GPL compliance reasons (Blender’s FBX support is actually all original code based on reverse engineering the format.)

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #176

Can anyone help me with this one?

The engine glows have been created as specified in the youtube tutorial (using the HW tools button for large engine) but only the largest (#3) shows in game…

Blender file here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/imrxrzkww2gskc7/20160605_engine_glow.blend?dl=1

(Christoph Timmermann) #177

I checked your blender file.
The two smaller engine glows have a scale value of 42.0, that should be your problem. :wink:

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #178

Thanks @PayDay - still getting used to Blender and resetting xforms!

(Christoph Timmermann) #179

Glad to hear that I helped, I’m sure that the DAE editor will be very useful for this kind of troubleshooting. :slight_smile:

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #180

Exactly!

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #181

Has anyone had this before:

And any idea how to solve? I am working with something I imported using the semi-working DAE import script, so I suspect the exporter doesn’t like the way some of the nodes were created… But what is the “Fam” and how do I add it?