Borderlands 2 Configuration files not found

Hey guys,

I have this problem when launching borderlands. It simply says Borderlands 2 configuration files not found.
I’ve tried adding the dll files and reinstalling, installing Direkt X wont work either … and im literally pissed out of my fking mind Pls welp

1 Like

Got you moved to the right section. Is this the Steam version of BL2, or installed from disk, or what? Also what version OS are you running? None of the things you mentioned would be the configuration file. However, PC isn’t really my strong point; hopefully some of the PC regulars will be able to help if you can provide a little more background detail on your setup.

1 Like

Thx. yes from steam. Should i try installing from my disk? My OS is Windows 10 newest version. The problem first came up when i reinstalled windows 10 and whiped my pc Clean. I cant dven start it. When i launch borderlands 2 the kauchner doesnt give me th option to start the game, it only writes “Borderlands 2 configuration files not found”

2 Likes

In Steam, verifying the integrity of your game files should restore these files? In your library, right-click on Borderlands 2, and select properties to bring this window up. Then go to Local Files and click the Verify Integrity Of Game Files button.

4 Likes

You could also Browse Local Files first to see if Steam is looking in the right place. Maybe the drive letter got changed by the OS reinstall.

3 Likes

Alredy did that too :confused:

1 Like

How do i know if windows is looking in the right place?

1 Like

If you click on Browse Local Files and it does not find anything.

On the Borderlands 2 - Properties - Local Files screen, it should show the Disk Usage on the drive that it was installed on. I was guessing that the drive letter changed, but since you verified the integrity of the files, that would rule that out.

Are you launching Borderlands 2 from a desktop icon (which might be using an old drive letter), or from the Steam menu?

On my Win8.1 system, Steam defaults to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam.
The config files would be in various directories under
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Borderlands 2.

You can find your default Steam directory from the Steam main menu
Steam - Settings - Downloads - STEAM LIBRARY FOLDERS

1 Like

I tried starting it from a desktop icon , the steam library and even the exe itself nothing works. I just found out that not only borderlands 2 doesnt work but the pre sequel neither

1 Like

Just startet the game via application now thats my new problem :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I may be wrong but if you uninstall the game through Steam the game folder is untouched.

Uninstall the game, then check Docs—My Games. If the BL2 folder is still there, the corrupt data buried in that folder is just getting reloaded.

I’ll ask @rja, @Adabiviak and @Poisonedbite to confirm, but the entire BL2 folder may have to be manually deleted after uninstalling the game.

1 Like

Do any other Steam games work?

This might be a bad profile.bin and *.sav files which contains the created characters. That is usually in the Documents folder. For me:

C:\Users\rja\Documents\My Games\borderlands 2\willowgame\savedata\76561198057787987\profile.bin

C:\Users\rja\Documents\My Games\Borderlands The Pre-Sequel\WillowGame\SaveData\76561198057787987\profile.bin

If you wiped your C:\ drive, then I hope there are backups. I try to copy that Folder with the profile.bin, *.sav, and *.sav.bak files whenever I level up a few times or after farming for sandhawks, etc.

If other Steam games fail, you may want to re-install Steam and not have to download the games. This link shows which folders to delete and then run Steam.exe so that it will download just what it needs.

“Updating Steam” window at startup when no updates were downloaded

Scroll down to the section on “Performing a partial reinstall (keeping your games)”. I’ve done this a few times.

2 Likes

Don’t delete your save files yet… back them up before you do anything in case the program is showing “corrupt” when it might be looking in the wrong place for them and finding something else.

Follow the directions above and let us know if a) those folders exist, and b) what’s in them.

2 Likes

Thank you Guys soo much it worked i copyd the game files out of the old folder to the new one and deleted the old file and boom it works im happy i have such a great community! Much love :heart::heart:️:heart:️:heart:️

4 Likes

Glad you got it working. @Adabiviak, @Jefe and @rja are all super-awesome people!

2 Likes

Glad you got your saves back without losing anything. That screenshot with all of the corrupted character files made all the difference in describing the problem. Without that we would have been grasping at straws.

Now make a backup of that folder! :smirk:

3 Likes