Borderlands 3 Brainstorming

It’s kind of funny reading through this thread and remembering long forgotten ideas I’ve had since playing through BL2 and TPS. Lots of cool new stuff too.

So the guys and gals at gearbox don’t want to release BL3 too soon as to not improve the mechanics enough for a fun experience. But they could always use a little help, so lets crowdsource a list for them. As more people add/vote on stuff we can change the list. This is solely for game mechanics, not for loot ideas or glitch ironing advice.

The first thing I would like to see is enemies use the guns they will drop. For instance have 5 pre set guns (1 of each element) that do a set amount of damage for each enemy type, then if they are going to drop some gun/ item they equip it and use it against you. This would allow for a really cool experience when an enemy is going to drop a good item, and while it would not really work on bosses, it would be fun to fight a psycho with flame of the firehawk. It also adds to the replay value because every encounter is different with certain enemies getting a little bit stronger from rellics and custom shields, and it makes it more rewarding when you kill an enemy that is using a great gun against you.

Another idea proposed by x440to220x was to make gun parts and shield parts customizable. Going off of this, I think it would be great if you could destroy weapons and harvest their parts in some sort of vendor. A dropdown menu would let players pick the manufacturer, gun prefix, weapon title, and all statistics, then tell the player what they have and what they still need. For example if you wanted a Kwik Change Badaboom, it would tell you you needed a bandit body, badaboom barrel, and tediore sight and then make it.

Jet packs- we had a taste in TPS, and that made the game really fun. I for one am very excited thinking of the build applications (especially because there would be a character centered around them if they exist).

New blood to old manufacturers- I like that one a lot, because so much was left on the table as far as applications go. On the other hand, I think there is a serious problem regarding what their benefits would be. Each BL2 manufacturer was unique and based off of a gun from BL1, and I fail to see enough potential for any more manufacturers. The minnax of the game is already a lot of work, and dealing w/ more poorly designed manufacturers (looking at you bandit) would make farming way worse and more grindy than it already is.

Weapon Manufacturer Proficiencies- I do wish they would add this, but at a per manufacturer level to synergise with the general idea of the weapon bonuses. Also add different effects per rarity, and possibly just make every rarity add one effect to the list from below. So an idea for bandit would be:
Common- Mag size increase
Uncommon- Mag size increase, reload speed increase
Rare- Mag size increase, reload speed increase, RoF increase
Very Rare- Mag size increase, reload speed increase, RoF increase, Further mag size increase
Legendary- Mag size increase, reload speed increase, RoF increase, Further mag size increase, and adds rifling to the barrel making accuracy exist.

4 Likes

Hiya
When Borderlands 1 first came out, that was pretty much what happened. If you were getting hammered by a
good weapon, you could kill the guy using it and a lot of times, he would drop that weapon and you could grab
it for yourself.
Now, I’m not sure what the thinking or process that went on was but that stopped not long into the games cycle.
Suddenly enemies just disappeared and left nothing behind - which there was no explanation or reason for that
to happen.
I agree with you, that would be great but if they stopped it happening in BL1, I can’t see them bringing it back
as there must have been a good reason for them to stop it happening :wink:
My hope is that they don’t replace Borderlands with that Disney/Pixar looking “Battleborn” … Oh my God Nooooo!

1 Like

This thread will give you a lot of ideas to help you out, plus I’m spending my time writing more and more posts about Borderlands 3 on my blog.

And personally, Battleborn, while a great concept to sandwich Borderlands 2/TPS to Borderlands 3, it just won’t win the hearts of all the Borderlands fans out there though.

2 Likes

personally, I want to mix and match my own gun/shield parts.

This is a good idea, I’m going to build off of it and add a new paragraph to my post.

Story wise I think they should have some more claptraps come back. Like the one who guarded trash coast. How would he have survived? He removed his wireless chip perhaps.

1 Like

I really hope the end game is more similar to UVHM mode in the Presequel, I don’t enjoy UVHM in BL2. I also like the idea of having a Grinder to get legendaries.

I also really hope the campaign will feel less scripted, it starts to get annoying after a few characters.

And I really like the new drop rates, they should be the norm in future BL entries.

3 Likes

Again, just mechanics. The values of those mechanics are all in separate threads.

I agree. I really want to know what happened to that hacked claptrap, he was pretty funny in Borderlands 1. But, there is so much ideas that can be flowed with if Borderlands 3 is intended to be #thebigone . Right?

Post #7 @Tomhet

Yes. UVHM in Borderlands 2 is terrible due to the helath regen thing, it makes them feel like bullet sponges and it is painful to kill.

Also strongly agree with the drop rates. That should be a way to get your legendaries in the way it currently is. Nobody wants to kill the same boss hundreds of times just to get a specific version of that legendary…

1 Like

I personally want The double jump feature in the pre sequel to stay in borderlands 3 I don’t want borderlands 3 to be set on the moon but I do want some device that allows the character to double jump I don’t want the butt slam back personally I think that gearbox explored so much of pandora in borderlands 2 that I feel like we should move away from pandora and the mean and have the same set on a different planet maybe the story can be that there are hundreds off vaults in the universe but they are all controlled by this main vault on a different planet that the vault hunters have to go to I am interested to see what was mean’t at the end of the pre sequel when it was said that war was coming but enough story stuff lets go back to gameplay I want to have more control over my weapons I think it would be really cool if I could make my weapon skins for my weapons what would be even cooler is if I can build my own weapons out of legendary weapons that would give a reason to farm for more than 1 of the same legendary and what would happen the player would dismantle legendary weapons and use those parts to either improve a weapon by adding a part to it or build a brand new weapon out of those parts

1 Like

Would be nice to see more mixed parts on weapons in my opinion… Would make for lots more variety maybe a Vladof pistol with bandit mag at a cost of a little fire rate or reload speed. Also would be cool if we visit different planets to have a good variety of different races of NPC’s to work for. Pandorans and Elpesites are so yesterday. Elpesites??? Lol!

or claptrap could have rebuilt them after looting hyperion for their backed Up AI’s. Companies never get rid of anything

1 Like

It would also be cool if dlc was exploring new valuts, like a new raid boss and to get to the planets for the first time there was some time of space station you had to go to.

Does anyone think elemental melee attachments would be cool? Say maybe it’s a shock Hyperion shotgun but the melee attachment could spawn with a different element like cryo or fire? Just that alone would make for some cool combos I think.

1 Like

Maybe for some unique guns, but I would not want a + 200% melee attachment ruined by a slag element. It contributes greatly to the grind.

Since the game isn’t that hard in the long run, I’m trying to think up some ways to spice it up some. Here are some ideas, I wonder what else people will come up with.

1. Use no skill points.

2. No shopping other than the intro quests.

3. Only use guns made by one manufacturer.

4. No class mods, no shields (one, the other, or both).

5. Always respawn instead of trying to get second wind.

6. Finish the game with less than 10 total proficiency (i.e. kill everything except bosses with melee attacks, grenades, and class skills, though you can weaken them with other weapons). 0 is theoretically possible, but it’d be very hard to finish off the last boss and the rakk hive.

7. Always use the last gun/shield that dropped.

1 Like

I gain many cool ideas from this thread so that I have more experience in writing a lot of posts about Borderlands 3 on my own blog. Thank a lot!

I would like to see every character get one grenade to use in FFYL… When you get downed you get just one per FFYL cause there are so many times if I had that one I could’ve finished someone off…

[quote=“casey_greene58, post:14, topic:394366, full:true”]
Does anyone think elemental melee attachments would be cool? Say maybe it’s a shock Hyperion shotgun but the melee attachment could spawn with a different element like cryo or fire? Just that alone would make for some cool combos I think.[/quote] At first I was against it but the more I thought about it the more I liked it, especially as so many critters have specific element weaknesses. Having a flaming bayonette would be a pain on non-flesh critters, the shock would be useless against non-robots, and slag would only be good for the first hit, but you would have to be in somethings face.

[quote=“casey_greene58, post:18, topic:394366, full:true”]
I would like to see every character get one grenade to use in FFYL… When you get downed you get just one per FFYL cause there are so many times if I had that one I could’ve finished someone off…
[/quote] Nah, it’s a perk and should stay that way, IMO. if anything maybe all characters should have a perk to use their signature moves in FFYl.

2 Likes

Yeah a FFYL perk for each character could be a pretty cool thing if implemented correctly.

1 Like