Borderlands 3 Endgame Mayhem Mode revealed

Proving Grounds, the endgame content revealed at Gamescom, will be complemented with another new mode called Mayhem Mode. This mode increases the challenge involved in fighting enemies, which will spawn more commonly as badasses and anointed, with more experience and better loot as a result. It can even modify enemy stats, making them immune to fire, for example. Three Mayhem Modes (Mayhem 1, Mayhem 2, and Mayhem 3) will be available after players complete the game in True Vault Hunter mode.

According to Gearbox, Mayhem Mode also applies Mayhem Mods to any planet that you visit. Two mods revealed were Savage and You’re a Wizard. The former boosts enemies’ weapons damage, while the latter nerfs the player’s own gun damage but buffs their elemental effect damage. Certain Mayhem Mods only come into effect when you are playing in Mayhem 2 or Mayhem 3. It appears to be a little like the Grandmaster difficulties in Anthem.

5 Likes

Oh man can’t wait to play you’re a wizard with a full elemental Amara!

1 Like

4 person slider confirmed!!!
But they made it even better.
THANKS GBX!

They have mentioned: quote; “while you get bonus cash, Eridium, experience gains” for the Mayhem modes.

If your in the end game at level 50, why more XP? Anyone know anything more.

Surely you can’t just keep levelling up. Makes no sense for future upgrades like UVHM and too many skill points. When we finish the story in TVHM we’d be 50 or there abouts anyway…

1 Like

You collecting Guardian Tokens for each “extra” level above level cap.

2 Likes

So many questions to which I cannot find answers. If anyone can help, I’d appreciate it.

Now we have a levelling system, Guardian Ranks, beyond the “traditional” level cap, will there be a level cap rise?

I think I saw that Guardian Ranks will apply at the player level, like Badass Ranks, but I’d appreciate confirmation.

If Guardian Ranks do apply to all of a player’s characters, then how will that work? Will they apply to characters in Normal mode or only TVHM and beyond? Can you earn Guardian Ranks in Normal, if they have been opened up by another character in TVHM?

I like a campaign to play through. I don’t enjoy levelling or collecting guns for their own sake. So, does the campaign reset, or can it be reset, when you choose a Mayhem Mode?

If the campaign does not reset, then will you be allowed to play the campaign content of the DLCs in Mayhem Mode? I always play the BL1 DLCs in Playthrough 2.5, for this reason.

All answers gratefully received :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe, after level 50 exp will contribute to guardian levels(badass ranks)?

Edit: just read the rest of what is posted and saw the other mentions of guardian ranks. there could also be the equivalent of paragon levels from diablo 3 where you can apply static buffs to things like health, shield capacity and movement speed, maybe currency find as well.

1 Like

The skill trees on the official Borderlands 3 site suggest a level 50 cap on the release of the game. The bonus XP you get for playing Mayhem Mode will presumably be for earning Guardian Ranks once you hit level 50. Guardian Ranks have a separate XP bar above your character level XP bar.

Guardian Ranks are across all characters, you have to beat Normal Mode with a single character to unlock them, but once they are unlocked for that character, the bonuses you choose will apply to all characters you create, even on Normal Mode. Any XP you earn on any character will go towards your Guardian Ranks, regardless of rather that is 1-50 character levelling XP earned on normal and TVHM, or post level 50 XP earned on the various Mayhem Modes.

The press release doesn’t explicitly state the answer to this question, though it does seem to suggest that activating Mayhem 1, 2, or 3 doesn’t restart the campaign again like TVHM does, it just makes the enemies harder while exploring worlds and maps, and should also make the repeatable Proving Grounds announced at Gamescom harder and more rewarding in terms of both XP and drops. The main payoff for playing Mayhem mode will presumably be making UVHM much easier for yourself once Gearbox adds it later on, not only will you have more Guardian Rank passive stat bonuses and more guardian rank skill tree skills when you go to play UVHM, you’ll also be decked out in level 50 anointed gear.

Yes, XP earned after level 50 applies to your Guardian Level instead of to your character level.

Unlike the Badass Ranks in BL2, the passive stat bonuses for Guardian Ranks are grouped into 3 difference categories:

Enforcer

• Critical Damage
  • Grenade Damage
  • Gun Damage
  • Gun Fire Rate
  • Melee Damage
  • Vehicle Damage

Survivor

• FFYL (Fight For Your Life) Duration
  • FFYL Movement Speed
  • Max Health
  • Shield Capacity
  • Shield Recharge Delay
  • Shield Recharge Rate

Hunter

• Accuracy
  • Action Skill Cooldown
  • Luck (Rare Drop Rate)
  • Recoil Reduction
  • Reload Speed

Each time you level up your Guardian Rank, you unlock a token, which you can spend on one of 6 randomly generated bonuses from the above list, 2 from each category. In addition to the small passive stats bonuses, when you spend 10, 15, 25, 35, 50, and 75 tokens in a single category, you unlock a special reward. These rewards range from weapon and vault hunter skins, to new skills that apply to all of your characters. They gave us 3 examples of the new skills:

For instance, the second tier Guardian Rewards will grant additional gun damage to all shots while in Fight For Your Life (the Inner Fury buff in the Enforcer tree), make you recover from FFYL with full health and shields (Resilient in the Survivor tree), or grant extra ammo from all ammo pickups (Bullet Collector in the Hunter tree).

1 Like

Yeah. I am curious as to the assignment system for stats on the left and whether it lets you choose what stat or only just the category or group. I do like how its now essentially rollover exp at level cap as opposed to the challenge method they had before that had numerous exploitable bugs in it people used to get thousands of rank tokens in no time at all.

Also curious if the buffs on the right side are different for each character.

Whenever you go to redeem a guardian token, it chooses 2 stats at random from each category for 6 total. Then you get to pick which of the 6 you want to spend the token to upgrade.

As for the rewards on the right side, I believe they unlock for all characters.