Borderlands 3 Freezes on claptrap dance

I have been trying to get into the game since launch but i still havnt found a solution.
My problem is i startup the game, i get past the 2k games and AMD bit then the claptrap dance comes across my screen a few times and it freezes. In task manager it says its not responding.
Yes i have tried both on DX11 and DX12. DX12 results in infinite claptrap dance loop and DX11 just freezes.
I have a GTX 760 if that helps.
Any possible fixes would be much appreciated .

1 Like

I had the same problem. I went into my documents/my games/bl3,GameUserSettings.ini change the line back to this. PreferredGraphicsAPI=DX11

Same problem here, 2 days ago I got this issue and was expecting for a hotfix or patch but still nothing …

I’m on an i5 + gtx1070

I ran into a similar issue where my entire PC would shutdown and reboot during the claptrap dancing loading screen.
I narrowed it down to a driver issue (running a RTX 2080TI).

I was on driver 431.60 which gave me a crash on both DX11 and DX12.
Updated to the latest driver, 436.30 (did a clean install of it).
This also resulted in a full PC shutdown and reboot in both DX11 and DX12.
I downgraded to 436.15 (clean install) and was able to go past the claptrap loading screen in DX11! DX12 still crashed for me tho…

There are two ways to force the game to start in DX11.
One is changing PreferredGraphicsAPI to DX11 in Documents\my games\Borderlands 3\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings.ini.
However, if, like me, the file is empty because the game never started up, there is another way to do this.
In the Epic launcher, go to Setting (on the bottom left, under Downloads) and scroll all the way down to Borderlands 3.
Check the box Additional Command Line Arguments and type in -DX11.
This will force the game to run in DX11.

You can grab older driver versions from the Nvidia site.

It finally got past the dancing claptrap loading screen and could play the game.

I hope this helps and works!