Borderlands 3 - Hotfix [04/01/2020]

With today’s changes in Borderlands 3, we are turning on the Show Me the Eridium event! This event should help you prepare for the various uses for Eridium coming next week.

As we continue to test around the upcoming raid content with Director’s Cut, we’ve made some balance changes in today’s update to Borderlands 3 where we were able to confirm community suspicions of huge outliers in damage being dealt. We have adjusted various gear, skills, and Mayhem Scaling to prepare players for the launch of the raid boss in the Director’s Cut add-on that’s dropping next week! We’re also continuing to monitor player feedback.

Today’s changes will be live on all platforms by 12:00 PM PT. To apply hotfixes, wait at the main menu until you see a sign that reads, “Hotfixes Applied!” If you are experiencing any issues or want to provide feedback, please submit a ticket to support.2k.com.

• Activates the Show Me the Eridium Event! This event will be live until April 8 at 8:59 AM PT!
  • Prevent Artifacts from dropping for players before they unlock at level 27 in Arms Race
  • Increased the chance for Legendary Gear to appear in the Golden Chest on Sanctuary III
  • Lowered the amount of damage being passed along to passive skills that use Mayhem Scaling in Mayhem 6 and above

Passive Skills that have Mayhem Scaling enabled have created very spikey moments in our damage pipeline. These spikes are far outside the bounds of normal damage. Balancing content around these spikes would have removed build diversity and forced players into very specific and specialized builds. That is counter to our goals of always increasing diversity, so we’ve changed the scaling accordingly.

• Implemented a stacking cap of two on the Operative’s Commitment skill to bring it in line with similar skills and prevent excessive stacking

The intent for this skill was always to stack as many times as Zane’s other Kill Skills, which is twice. When its increased stacking was discovered last fall, we determined we would leave it as it wasn’t causing catastrophic issues. As part of balancing for the upcoming content however, we have deemed it necessary for the stacks to be capped as originally designed.

• Decreased the damage bonus on the Gunner’s Short Fuse skill from 75% to 50%
  • Increased the damage done by skills using the Siren’s Phasecast and Phaseslam:
  • Phasecast – Cast damage increased by 5%
  • Deliverance bonus increased by 5%
  • Reverberation bonuses increased by 10%
  • Tandava bonus damage increased by 10%
  • Phaseslam – Slam damage increased by 10%
  • Fracture damage bonus increased to 35%
  • Downfall bonus increased to 10%

Based on community feedback, we are adding some power back into Amara’s Action Skills to offset some of the damage that has been removed from specific pieces of gear. We’ll continue to monitor her and will make more changes as needed.

• Lowered the damage bonus on the Guardian Perk Groundbreaker from 25% to 10%

WEAPON ADJUSTMENTS

Last week, we saw a few players confused about whether or not the buffs were applying on some of their gear. Good news: If your hotfixes were applied, you were getting the buff. Those weapons just saw changes in their damage in ways that does not show on their item cards!

Creeping Death

• Increased the reload explosion damage

Amazing Grace

• Increased weapon damage

Mutant

• Slightly reduced the recoil rate

Pain is Power

• Increased weapon damage.

Try-Bolt

Satisfaction

Plumage

Freeman

Facepuncher

• Decreased weapon damage
16 Likes

Time to check the weapon vault again… :slight_smile:

Why not remove/decrease melee mayhem scaling for Face Puncher instead? Lowering wpn dmg will hurt performance on non-endgame version of the gun and this was never an issue.

12 Likes

Let’s see.
Commitment nerf - fully justifed. Honestly, 2 stack limit should be implemented since release. And before some folk start to cry “purp tri iz ded” - don’t worry, It won’t change much. Modders already tested two stack limit, it will be fine. And this tree still have lot of great skills.
Groundbreaker - justified.
Fisting puncher and short fuse - kind of a mix bag. I’d like to see the f-puncher deleted completly, tbh. But possible short fuse solution is not easy at all.
Satisfaction might still remain as Sastissuction.

Still waiting for ASA anoint fix

5 Likes

Guess the console crashing, split screen text size/UI/performance, matchmaking are all still being looked in to. Or was it we’re aware of or possibly nothing at this time. Been so long forgot which one it was.

I’m aware of your 2nd season pass and looked into it but as for purchasing it, not at this time.

9 Likes

So zane still has only 3 trees since the green tree remains as a pile of garbage

2 Likes

Sounds like changes generally pushing in the right direction. Hopefully we will see some buffs to Zane’s green tree, Fl4k’s purple tree and Amara in general soon. List of guns there sound like ones which generally need buffs. Good work, GBX, keep it up :+1:

1 Like

Will the patch that comes out with the next DLC focus on any of the larger issues that have been plaguing the game since launch?

2 Likes

Good

Fair enough. Never was a big fan of that skill anyways, I kinda just used it because it was meta.

Nice, though unless it is a super hefty buff I don’t really see it making the gun viable late game, simply because it doesn’t get anointed.

Good. That gun was in desperate need of attention ever since it got added.

Not a bad change, but it won’t fix the gun. The Pain is Power, Embrace the Pain and Stauros’ Burn still are made unusable by the fact that the self DoT on high Mayhem variants is absolutely lethal, even for the tankiest of builds.

Nice. Maybe that’ll allow it to actually live up to its name.

3 Likes

Facepuncher getting smacked all over the place. I’m not sure if Short Fuse really changes much. The up damage for Amara AS is welcomed. Lowering the amount of scaling of certain passives sounds neato. Can we get some numbers on these?

I don’t like this mentality. It was also weird that the tree also contained Sheer Will and The Art of War but non capped Commitment (especially being a tier 2 skill while the other skills are lower down) undermines these skills. I wouldn’t even know why you guys wouldn’t think it was a non concerning factor.

2 Likes

My guess is that this will make it so the Facepuncher benefits less from gun damage bonuses (i.e. Fl4k’s Stackbot).

1 Like

I’d hope so. Some of the changes in this hotfix are definitely a step in the right direction (unless you primarily mean technical issues by that).

1 Like

Bye bye 9 copies of the monocle…
Also Im curious about the amazing grace buff, maybe its going to be my favorite pistol
BUT IT NEEDS ANOINTMENT (maybe the machine would allow that? If so them we got a lot more than we expected)

Yeah, more talking about crashing of systems and issues with UI, balancing is great and definitely needed but some of us still can’t even play the game we purchased. :smiley:

1 Like

cast and slam need a huge buff to their cooldown to even bring them in line with rakk attack (granted they are tied to stronger anoints so perhaps they are trying to avoid that being abused).

nevermind MNTIS which is far better than even rakk attack.

I feel everything to do with fl4k’s purple tree, from the skills to the com to the anoint, is practically unsalvageable without basically a complete overhaul.

3 Likes

It’s been real cannon spam.

Now hopefully Cmdl3t will be fixed soon.

1 Like

I’m actually really happy to see nerfs, and I hope everyone else is too. The game was extremely easy before this on characters like Zane and Moze. Things will probably still be mostly easy on both those characters, but at least they’re (hopefully) not absurd anymore. Thanks gearbox :slight_smile:

I believe the slam cd is fair given the anointments. HOWEVER MNTIS upstages absolutely everything and by a lot.
Purple zane needs rework nd nerf
Purple Fl4k needs rework, buffs AND fixes

1 Like

I can’t really measure the adjustments to mayhem scaling passive skills yet, I need the exact values. Either way, Moze should have lost quite a bit as Short Fused was both nerfed on it’s baseline as well as it’s scaling. That might feel a bit too much for casual play, but probably won’t ruin her. Fire in the Skag-Den and Big Surplus are the skills that can make or break a build, so I’m very interested in the results of the adjustments. I mean, even just a quarter of the current values (or a nerf by 75%) would be enough of a “Mayhem Boost” to keep both skills viable and have a satisfactory experience in dedicated builds.

Unfortunately that doesn’t change the need for more damage in her green tree. More damage, not mayhem scaling mind you. Forge might be the ideal skill to add a bit of damage to, just sayin’.

Amara might loose her best “melee” build from the nerf to the Face-Puncher, but as long as it’s just that, she should be alright. Still, in my opinion she, too, has some skills that could use a buff, again, to specifically diversity her damage and make more builds viable. My favorite for that purpose would be Jab Cross. Just increase it’s gun damage bonus (to 50-75% at 5 points, so 10-15% per point) and you would help melee hybrid builds a LOT that way.

Overall, Amara has probably lost more than she gained with this hotfix, but I expect that there is more to come with next week’s patch.