Borderlands 3 Ideas & Improvements

Hey there!

First off, l’m a huge fan of the Borderlands series and really wish and hope, that Borderlands 3 will become the best one in the series yet. And these suggestions are probably too late for any of the developers to notice (If they read these) since it was announced that they would be starting the developing of Borderlands 3 a while ago.

Also, remember these are just my ideas and opinions, so if you don’t agree with something you don’t need to be an ### about it :smile:

Anyhow, lets get to it

Things to improve / fix:

- Fast Travel
It would be great to have a way to teleport back to the nearest Fast Travel Station. In Borderlands 2, I remember in a side quest I had to go back to a certain area and fight my way trough all the enemies again, and once i was done with the quest objective, I actually had to walk ALL the way back trough this long area, just to reach the nearest Fast Travel Station so i could complete the quest. It was just unnecessary time waste.

- Loot System
Now, this has been addressed by many and I’m still going to address it here too. Borderlands might have a bazillion guns, but the truth is, that like 80% of them are totally useless (not an factual %). This really has made opening chests not exciting. I could understand best end game loot coming from the big bosses, but If the loot in the chests is pretty bad already during my first play through, its a problem for me. Now, I’m not going into detail how to fix this, but I think Borderlands 3 could do what Blizzard did with Diablo 3’s loot system. Just scrap the unnecessary loot, for the most part. The Grinder in Pre-sequel was a nice step forward though.

- More Involved Player Characters
I would like our characters to interact more with the story NPC’s. I mean, our characters do have an personality, at least what we’ve heard from the audio logs, its sad not to see that in game. I would like more small cutscenes when for example accepting a quest, where our character and the quest giver would chat a bit etc. Basically, just talk and interact more with NPC’s is what I’m sayin.

- Better Balancing
This has also been complained by some. Now, most of the time I’ve been fine with the balancing, but biggest issue must be the boss battles, when in Solo at least. I understand that bosses must be hard and hell, i love Dark Souls to death. But the boss battles in solo kinda feel a little unfair at times. In solo, having a AI mate could be something to improve this maybe, but I don’t know. As I said, this hasn’t been a big issue for me, but I do think it could use some improving.

- More Customization
Now, I’m not really one for the Character Creation. I really like having a premade character by Gearbox who has his/her own personality and story. To me making your own character from scratch would be bad idea. But of course this is an opinion. I do however want more customization. More heads and more skins. And maybe this time, skins could be more than just colors? Maybe new outfits? And have more of these than in previous games, so everyone can really find one they like. Also, I’m a little on edge with this idea but what the heck I’m just gonna throw this around… Gun Transmog?

- More Living World
What i basically mean, is that I would love to have more friendly npc’s scattered around the world. Maybe have little friendly towns here and there instead of having just one big one where basically everyone is. Also, I would like more characters to come out to the world and do stuff. In previous games, everyone just pretty much stands in their own spot and talks to you over the radio. Would like them to show up in places more. Also, since we probably aren’t going to mainly focus on Pandora, could we have even more varied zones? And little less of those bandit towns we have seen so much in BL1 and BL2. Also a little less bandits in general, I personally am getting a little tired of them. More cool creatures yay!

- Tales from the Borderlands Cameos?
I REALLY loved TFTB and especially the characters. Would love to see them make an appearance in Borderlands 3 in some way.

Also, let me play as Gaige in Borderlands 3 please!!

cough

Excuse me…

End of the list, yay. Sorry for any mispells in there, english ain’t my first language.

I hope we can have a nice conversation about these. And I would love to hear some of your ideas too :blush:

9 Likes

Yes. To it all.

3 Likes

I have an idea:
New Gun mechanic: Stopping power.

It determines how likely the enemy will flinch or stagger from being shot.
While it’s an invisible stat like Accuracy Recovery and Weapon Recoil, it functions differently according to:
Weapon type.
Element type and Enemy type that’s being struck.

An in depth explanation for each.
Stopping power for each Weapon type (in order from highest to lowest):
1: Rocket Launchers
2: Shotguns
3: Sniper Rifles
4: Assault Rifles
5: Pistols
6: SMGs
7: Lasers (if they are in BL3)

Gun Manufacturer, Elemental Types, and Enemies struck:
Technically there is no Manufacturer with the flat out highest Stopping power due to the elemental system also affecting the enemy’s chance of flinching.
I can best sum this up with the following:

Shock elemental weaponry: Highest stopping power against shields, lowest against flesh.
Corrosive elemental weaponry: Highest stopping power against armor, lowest against shields.
Fire elemental weaponry: Highest stopping power against flesh, lowest against armor.
Explosive/Cryo (if the latter returns in BL3) elemental weaponry: Average against all but shields.
Non-elemental weaponry: Average against all but armor.

I’m open to any criticism you possibly have towards my idea.

Other ideas:
Nerf Shock damage against Flesh (to 80%-50%)
Nerf Critical damage multipliers from Elemental guns from 2.0 to 1.667 (Like Assault Rifles).
Keep the Slam/Double jump mechanic from TPS.
Bring back Mashers as a secret/super rare Pistol part.
Keep the Mutator arena from TPS’ DLC campaign.
Bring back the enemy loot system from BL1 (where enemies tend to drop what they used, it made fighting enemies with powerful guns exciting).
Keep Lasers.

2 Likes

Really like this idea! It would help to make some fights a little less irritating and survivable in solo if
enemies had a chance to stagger.

Maybe Torgue weapons could have the highest stopping power out of the manufacturers?
Cause, you know, explosions…

Personally i wasn’t a big fan of the Slam mechanic in TPS but everything else i agree with completely. Especially Lasers. We gotta have lasers in BL3.

What Map was that? Most are circular or they do have that travel at the end.

Isn’t the ~80% rule true in any game with a lot of loot? I’m played Diablo, Torchlight, POE, and other looter games and they all have this.

Without it rare gear is common and it kinda breaks the whole thing. You need to have bad/average/great to make it all worth while. You can ignore whites or pick them up to sell them. The grinder was a good first step but I don’t think you have to have 100% of your weapons to be good weapons to have a true count of weapons. The new Battlefront has 11 guns and maybe 3 are worth it. When you have the vast gun selection of bl2 sure a lot will not be good, but thats ok.

They still can improve it a lot and I hope they kinda re make it so we have new guns not just the same guns as bl2 and tps.

While I agree the world needs to come more alive, I don’t agree with cut scenes. In fact a lot of people already complain about the cut scenes in the game and want less. Borderlands does a pretty good job of telling the story without making you wait for it, via echo. This is a fast paced action game and making us sit though cut scenes doesn’t seem like the right answer.

More side quests from NPC’s, more NPC variation in lines, etc… But less of us waiting for story. This is not a game you play the story once, you play it many times so the story has to allow you to move through it and not get in the way.

This is a hard one, I like its not balanced as much. Balance like in PVP games limits skills and gear, borderlands is not about that. Raids are meant for co-op but can be solo’d by those willing to put in the time to get the gear and skills to do so. If you dumb down raids to be like normal in game bosses, whats the point of raids?

I know some people complain about them, but some people complain about everything. If anything they need more and harder raids IMO to really encourage co-op team play. Right now no raid really does this and that is a failure of a raid boss.

Now I am in favor of balancing tweaks, thats what my Good/Bad/Ugly series is about with the guns, pay better attention to the pluses and minuses of guns.

But dulling down the difficulty of things that are meant to be difficult is not a good idea IMO.[quote=“Loomkin, post:1, topic:1173915”]

• More CustomizationNow, I’m not really one for the Character Creation. I really like having a premade character by Gearbox who has his/her own personality and story. To me making your own character from scratch would be bad idea. But of course this is an opinion. I do however want more customization. More heads and more skins. And maybe this time, skins could be more than just colors? Maybe new outfits? And have more of these than in previous games, so everyone can really find one they like. Also, I’m a little on edge with this idea but what the heck I’m just gonna throw this around… Gun Transmog?
    [/quote]

This one I’m more with you on. I would like skins to be more like heads and not just change the color pallet, but if that takes up more memory then no. Bl2 already hit a memory issue with the old gen consoles that made them stop making content for the game. I would of gladly gave up all vehicle customization, heads and skins for more guns.

So if they won’t have space issues I say yes, but if they will they keep it simple and put the effort and space into gear.

All the yes, I would love mini camps and towns or just traveling sales people around. Make the world more open and alive.

But I still want a ton of bandits, they are pandora. Now if we go to other planets sure. I would be for more variation of enemies, even bringing some elpis creatures to pandora would be cool with me, I love Kraggons. [quote=“Loomkin, post:1, topic:1173915”]

• Tales from the Borderlands Cameos?I REALLY loved TFTB and especially the characters. Would love to see them make an appearance in Borderlands 3 in some way.
    [/quote]

I have a good feeling we are seeing more of them, it was cannon after all.

I wouldn’t mind if they brought back most of the vault hunters that make sence story wise and instead of 4 to start with we have around 12 (a few new ones) but re work the trees a bit to make them different enough to be exciting again. Kinda how warmachine does with epic versions of casters.

1 Like

In the third part (If I remember right) of the Cult Following questline, you have to take Match Stick to on top of Soaring Dragon in Southern Shelf. At least I didn’t find a fast way out of there so I ran back to the town the way I came.

Now of course, it is possible I missed something there.

Wouldn’t that be easily done with the option to skip the cut scenes by pressing a button? It shouldn’t really take a lot of time out from those who prefer just going fast through the game.

I do think that the Intro sequence should be shorter though. It can get kinda annoying especially when playing through the game more than once.

Agree, it never is. And as I said, this never really was a problem for me personally.

That is a good example, I just don’t think there are many of these to really make it an issue. [quote=“Loomkin, post:6, topic:1173915”]
Wouldn’t that be easily done with the option to skip the cut scenes by pressing a button? It shouldn’t really take a lot of time out from those who prefer just going fast through the game.

I do think that the Intro sequence should be shorter though. It can get kinda annoying especially when playing through the game more than once.
[/quote]

Skippable cut scenes should be a thing, at least past normal mode. But I still think the game should flow and I don’t think this should turn into a game with a lot of cut scenes. I like how they handle the story telling but at times it still makes you wait around (felicity and pickle in the ship was drakkensburg was particularly bad)

For some more story based RPG’s it works with a lot of cut scenes but not borderlands IMO.

I recall some MGS games you had hour long cut scenes, I like how the few we have are short and I like it this way, but hey thats just me.

Tossing around different ideas is great.

How about 8 playable characters instead of 4? I mean 4 classes x 2 genders (like Diablo 3). I feel weird playing as a chick and my wife tend to choose female characters, even if they doesn’t suit her playing style.

I’d love to see some random generated dungeons/vaults (whatever you call it).

Also some online social hubs, where random players could meet and other random players on similar level to do raids in these random generated dungeons I mentioned and/or competitive matches. Or just matchmaking, if online hubs are too much to ask…

There should be option of repeating voice masseges from NPCs or at least these masseges shouldn’t happen in middle of battle.

As for technical improvements, after playing THC I think game should run in stable 60fps in single player/2player split screen mode. This could be achived with dynamic resolution, and because of Borderlands art direction this would be barely noticable with some advanced scalling methods. There should be 3 and 4 player split screen as well, even if it means running in stable 30fps in these modes.

Also I would prefere one, huge open world instead of separated levels and dynamic shadow maps synchronized with day/night cycle.

2 Likes

As stated above, having all the old Vault Hunters and couple new ones as playable characters would be pretty awesome. More characters and skills is always good. The gender change should not probably be a problem, seeing in all other BL games, the character backstory is told via echo device. But still kinda on edge about that.

This would be really cool if they could implement it! It would add so much more end game.

But of course, randomly generated stuff always has it’s own problems.

Somebody threw an idea of main town being an shared hub. Where other players could see each other even without being in the same game. Kinda like the ghosts you can see in Dark Souls. It should just be done right.

Totally! So many times I’ve accepted more than one quest at a time, and end up missing the dialogue from the other quest.

This would be amazing. Borderlands 3 ain’t coming on last gen, so something like this, should be more possible now.

Great ideas :smile:

maybe add some mount i mean animal who walking with you

I like your ideas! Personally, I really want to see more end game. I really want there to be more to do when you hit level cap. Maybe some kind of raid missions (they already have raid bosses so why not?) or something. Gearbox kind of messed with end game a little in BL2 but I’d like to see it more fleshed out in the future.

2 Likes

How about full-on raids? We have a lot raids bosses in Borderlands 2 and a couple in both Borderlands 1 and PS. Why not let four people get together and conquer a full raid dungeon, culminating in a big raid boss, that resets every day or week?

2 Likes

I agree with everything you said. Here are my additions

I think the plot should be based around the war (as mentioned by the eridian guy in The Pre Sequel). I think the war should be the humans against the eridians.The vaults revealed at the end of BL2 can house more Eridian creatures, who are awakening in order to take back the universe/galaxy. The aim of the protagonist is to seek out and destroy these creatures as individual bosses, with the help of others in an all-out epic war.

In terms of gameplay, it might be interesting if, as well as picking your own character, in order to add some depth for solo players, they can also choose a character to be their sidekick, who would behave as a real-life co op partner would (they would have the same skill tree and inventory as if they were a partner) but their inventory and skills would be controlled by the player. Perhaps you can even switch between which one you control at any time…

I think that the playable characters should be the ones from past games (Lilith, Brick, Mordecai, Maya, Axton, Salvador, Zer0, Athena and Claptrap (with his fragtrap routines reinstalled), but also include a few new ones.

Also, in terms of guns, it would be nice to see a system implemented where guns found can be de-constructed in a workshop of sorts, and its individual parts given to the player, who can use those parts to create another gun. Eg: a maliwan beam laser gun could be de-constructed and the barrel could be attached to a hyperion body off another laser gun, making a hyperion laser.

I think a way to level-up guns should also be implemented in some way. Not sure how, but it is annoying when you get hyped that you just got a beautiful new legendary only to see it made redundant after a few level-ups.

Other people have mentioned that they’d like some kind of social hub. I would really like that too. Something similar to the tower in Destiny. You could meet people and run stuff together and of course trading would be benefitted greatly as well.

1 Like

Also, Tiny Tina’s Assault on Dragon Keep is by far my favorite DLC of the series. I love the colorful zones. I hope to see more colorful environments in Borderlands 3. A lot of variety!

3 Likes

More vehicles too! I would love to see some kind of aircraft :smile:

1 Like

I love reading these topics because there are some really creative people out there.

My wants for BL3… I like the “parts” aspect. Interchangeable, upgradeable , customize build weapons, shields & grenade mods. Also would like to see unlimited leveling and everything scales to your level if that’s even possible. Be able to repeat story and quest lines is a must. I miss so much dialogue.

I don’t like mmo’s. I want to be able to play the game when and how I want. I’m the kind of person who likes to solo or play with people I actually know. I don’t want to have to depend on anybody to get through the game (talking to you Destiny!) I get antsy when I sit too long so I like to pause, get up and do other things then return where I left off. If this game turns into Battleborn or overwatch, I’m not buying it!

That’s my view of it. Can’t wait to see more ideas

1 Like

More customization is definitely something I want. While I don’t want something on the line of Fallout or Dragon Age choosing things like heads, cloths and skins would be nice. However, if they go with this route please don’t put it into the loot pool. Instead have customizables come primarily from vendors or quest rewards because nothing is more annoying than having a head mod that you already own eat up a legendary drop. Boss customizables should either be a guaranteed drop on the first try or open up the option to buy it in the vendor.

I would also like specializes to be a thing for each character where after a certain level you have the choice of choosing a fourth skill tree to complement your existing play style, making each character feel unique.

Also expand on what the Pre-Sequel did in terms of story telling where being a certain character actually impacted the dialog in the game more of that. I’m tired of being called just “Vault Hunter”.

A shared social hub where you can meet other players would be awesome. Perhaps you could even put your character up for hire to help out some of the people who are having trouble with the game. Just make sure to keep it Borderlands I don’t want Borderlands to become a shared world shooter like Destiny.

More random encounters like chubbies and loot midgets. Maybe have a caravan you can rob(similar to the one in BL2 but random and with a better drop rate) or an enemy that you have to kill before it make it to a certain area or even rare vendors that just show up in the world.

2 Likes

I like how the Pre-Sequel introduced vertical movement but please don’t make it that. Having to manage oxygen and dealing with Zero-G was just cumbersome. A jet pack or jump pack would be nice though.

I personally don’t like when enemies scale with you. It kind of takes away from the feeling of you growing in power. When I come across a tough enemy that I can’t beat and I go off to do some quests to level up, return and woop his tail, it makes me happy!! I love that feeling! :smile:

1 Like