Borderlands 3 keeps crashing Xbox One

I have been having an alarming amount of crashes and freezes when playing BL3. I’m not one to ever post in forums or complain about bugs but this is getting ridiculous. I already can’t play coop online or split because of performance issues. Now the crashes and freezing on solo has become another issue almost forcing me away. Whenever I try to enter Konrads Hold in the campaign, it’s an auto freeze then back to dashboard. Today a couple of explosions, same result. This seems to get worse after every hotfix and patch.

14 Likes

Not a complete fix, but you might want to try periodically doing the XB1 power reset to force a cache clean up. BL3 pushes both original XB1 and the S and X variants pretty hard. If you’re playing on one of the latter versions, crashing is a known issue but GBX have not yet indicated a timeline for any fix. It is possible (especially by comparison with issues on PC) that this is in part an issue with the way UE4 handles video resources, compounded by higher res textures on 4K-capable systems.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m not for sure what is going on. I did clear out the cache to see if that would help. A few other games and apps worked well. However BL3 crashed the second I went to The Droughts. I am perplexed that somehow Gears 5 hasn’t given me any problems but BL3 keeps giving me problems. I have seen the issues PC gamers have voiced and I understand some of what they are going through. I enjoy BL3 but this game needed 1 more year in the oven.

2 Likes

Nah, bad game is just bad. Keeps happening to me and my buddy different days it seems like one of us just CONSTANTLY crashes. Really wanted to enjoy the new dlc stuff but honestly it’s gotten old pretty quick

6 Likes

Has their been a fix? My boyfriend and i have been trying to load the game, but since we redownloaded the game onto our Xbox one s it wont open now. We have tried to restart the xbox, and doing the cache clear, but it keeps happening.

I just started having this problem about a week ago I tried all of the normal fixes clearing the cache holding the power button-down ect I have found the only thing that seems to help is to stand the xbox upright and I have a Box fan blowing on the back of it full speed and that seems to work for a while I know that seems ridiculous but I think borderlands is causing the xbox to overheat

3 Likes

Same has happened to me, since the update, every time I try to start the game it crashes and kick me out of it, but other games still going well and doesn’t just shut down.

I havr also had many crashes since the cartel dlc. Full on console shut offs. Ive had this issue before closer to launch. Seems to be only when i join a game. When i host it tends to work alright

1 Like

Ive been having a lot of crashes with the cartel update. Yesterday it played just fine but now i can’t even get through villa ultraviolet without it crashing. Super annoying having to start from the beginning each time.

3 Likes

Same with me every 5-10 min of game play and the xbox restarts

1 Like

I’ve been having a lot of the same issues ever since before Guns, Love and Tentacles. It doesn’t seem to be just one thing that’ll cause my game to crash. I used to be able to play for hours on end, but now I can’t even make it 5 minutes into the game before a very loud audio glitch and movement freeze indicate my game has crashed.

1 Like

Same, my gf and I started playing again after taking a break from BL3 for the last 4 months. Gameplay and overall experience has been awesome until we started the guns love and tentacles dlc. Almost from the beginning of the story for said DLC it has been crashing our splitscreen coop sessions nearly every time a cinematic would play in the DLC. After completing it our gameplay sessions are plagued with very frustrating and downright maddening console crashes at very crucial moments. We literally just turned the console on the first time today and booted up BL3, maybe got to play about 10 minutes and bam very loud audio glitch enough to kill a speaker and game screen freezes, then goes back to dashboard. Paid good money for the super deluxe edition and it would be nice to be able to play it.

1 Like

I’ve been having a lot more crashes since the update. I’m on an Xbox one X. I just tried toggling performance and quality mode back and forth. On quality I was getting more crashes so I’ve been playing with it set to performance mode. I think the update reset that preference back to quality and triggered the crashes. The game felt different and the crashes stopped after changing the setting and re saving my settings.

2 Likes

If it’s since the last update, check if mayhem is on. If it is, check how many modifiers and which ones. If you’re running with 3 or 4 modifiers, try running with one of the levels that only has 2 to see if the crashes are less frequent.

Man, my game crashes before I can even get inside it

2 Likes

Every time I load in to an area and start to mob with a Splash Moze build the sound glitches out and freezes the game or shuts my system down entirely. There are other times I will start to load into a match made raid or other endgame activity and my system will just shut off. I have played many other games on my XB X that are way more intense with no issues. Borderlands 2 or Pre-sequal won’t even do this. I have tried many different things to fix this but it always comes back to the sound glitching out then a crash of some sort. If it starts and doesn’t crash right away it will do it when I fast travel. I have multiple recordings of this happening. Please, can someone look into this and soon. I would really like to get back to playing and not constantly reloading or restarting my system all the time.

2 Likes

Mine has crashed at least 7 times today. Its never done this before. Have also hard reset the xbox too.

3 Likes

Yeah, had three solid crashes in 2 hours today which has never happened for me before. I created a thread about it - getting some really weird mayhem stuff going on where modifiers are stacking instead of replacing and the extra load looks like it’s just too much.

2 Likes

I started playing Fl4k today since I can’t seem to be able to play Amara or Zane without crashing. Now I just crashed with Fl4k and I was only on M1 with very few mobs on screen at the time of the crash. This game is just terrible.

1 Like

Here is a link to a list of things “we” can do to help resolve in game issues. This covers clearing your cache on the machine and the less often needed deleting a local save file.

I have noticed fewer problems with joining someone’s match if I first load completely into the game and then select that game from inside Borderlands 3.

The thread I posted the link to contains mostly people who are having issues since Mayhem 2.0 and the Cartel event dropped. Several have reported specific modifiers seem to be most problematic for them, to the point where once they made sure a specific modifier was no longer being used, they are having no (or few) additional problems. It might be worth looking at to see if it helps you.

These things may not help you at all, as a kind word of warning. There have been repeated reports of Borderlands crashing for no apparent reason and even powering the console off. So far I’ve not seen anything repeatable that will cause these issues and I’m not at this time aware of any apparent fix.

I hope something in this post will prove useful to someone. :slight_smile:

1 Like