Borderlands 3 Missing bank item bug whats happening and how to avoid it. Four bugs co ops, onlines, saves and Bank Upgrade

So I posted this yesterday in another thread.
Yes laggy issues when menu opening. Butttttttttt. Found a worse bug today.
When you get to the ship you finally get your bank. So I dumped stuff into my bank the second player who had not reached the ship on his play through put stuff in his bank on my game. We then proceed to his game and catch him up. His bank is empty while mines fines. We log out figuring his stuff is in my game. And guess what his is still empty and now mine is to. I save out go back to his game and my bank is still empty so Is his. This is bad juju people don’t leave your stuff in the bank in split screen mode same ps4 play. You’ve now been warned. I will test further now that we both have the ship as maybe this is a one off issue of games not being in the same place. But be warned either way. Reported to support

1st BUG Offline co-op likely online

Today I am back to post what the bug is and how to avoid it.

The problem is in the auto save function the game is not saving the second players bank data when it saves the first player.

So first the bad if you the first player quit the game this kicks out the second player and the game doesn’t save the second players bank. Thus wiping him or her out.
While your stuff is fine and saved.

The good news is you can avoid this by making sure the second player quits the game first and i mean quit not go back to the main screen i did not test this but i have a feeling if the second player quits to the main screen he will then wipe player 1.

Good news part 2 the wall trophies do not get erased.

Now my testing for proof. Good news part 1

I logged in player one and player 2 and dropped items in the bank for testing.
I quit out as player 2 then quit out as player one.
I then logged the game in as player 2 and added player 1 so now player 2 is the main.
Checked both vaults all stuff there.
Had player 1 who is the second now log out first then player two save out last and repeated the process more or less.
Logged in player 1 me and the second player into my game.
Checked the banks and all stuff was there.

Now to verify the destruction.
I had my character who is player 1 quit the game which kicked out player 2.

I then loaded player 2’s game and added myself. Checked his vault and it was empty. Checked my vault and it had my items.
I then to prove the wall i pulled an item form the bank and put it on the wall.
Then i had the main player player 2 quit the game.

I then logged in my game and added player 2 and as expected my bank was empty but my wall item was still there and of course player 2’s items were still gone.

So make sure player 2 quits the game first but NOT to the main menu I am fairly positive this will erase player ones bank but i am not going to test this further as gearbox doesn’t pay me to test the game and find their bugs.

Very likely the online players are losing their items because the main player is quiting the game before them thus kicking them out without saving the bank.
But i am not going to test his either gearbox can test the online deletions as likely it’s all the same cause.
All players but the session holder should quit and save first this will likely not delete their bank

Feel free to run the test on your own but i’m sure you’ll find the same end results.
Second player third or even fourth quit game before main player always.

2nd BUG Offline and online

And seems there’s a new issue i have not tested personally but one user found if you buy a new upgrade from marcus it erases your bank.

Items in my bank lost

3rd BUG Online
New way to clear your bank found in single player online play.

4th BUG Online

I did happen on another way to clear the bank last night.
An online method.
So I and my friend he was second we were in split screen were playing in a mayhem the cistern.
Well it was laggy choppy etc.

Eventually we hit the dreaded blue screen error of ps4.
After waiting for the system to come back from it’s black screen to blue i did not reboot at any point.

We logged back in i checked my goods which were there full bank.
But his bank being second player totally wiped.
Knowing the risks he emptied his bank of legendaries and such i said screw it lets see what happens and i was not affected but his items were.

So watch out for the blue screen of death mid game play online.

Send a support request to SHIFT https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/hc/en-us and they may be able to refund your items But you will need to provide the following

" If you’re still unable to see your items, please provide me with the following:

• SHiFT ID:
  • SHiFT E-mail Address:
  • Detailed list of the items that you’re missing:
  • Video/Screenshot showing you accessing your bank:"

Quick jump link to the post i just made on my steps to keep it working.
Borderlands 3 Missing bank item bug whats happening and how to avoid it. Four bugs co ops, onlines, saves and Bank Upgrade

My method of having little to no issues to date.

So it’s now been 20 days since i posted this and to this date i have not had this issue reoccur.

So I am going to tell you what i do step by step and if you do not believe me feel free to watch any of my 6 past twitch video streams where i usually check my bank during the play and i play darn near with a buddy in split screen each time and i have two at home to play with, but there is also single player play to without issue. Sorry but never online yet so can’t be sure if that would not be resolved by my methods.

https://www.twitch.tv/collections/ACBeM5ydxRVDXg

Also I am disclaimering the data below if you follow these steps and something goes wrong this is not my fault I am merely providing you the data of how i seem to have avoided this for a month since discovered. Your issue or game play may vary and be another way this bug is happening.

So first to avoid the save issue with “split screen second player”

1. Bottom screen quits first every time
    a. So Click options, this will load the screen that says, “resume, social, options, trophies, quit game”, then click quit game, then click Quit Game are you sure screen loads I say yes (I DO NOT choose Quit to Main Menu as this will likely cause the bug not saving player one properly.)
  2. Main player top screen now quits which will go Full Screen
    a. So Click options, this will load the screen that says, “resume, social, options, trophies, quit game”, then click quit game, the Quit Game are you sure screen loads I say yes.
    b. This takes you back to Character selection Play, Social, Options, PlayStation Store
  3. Now to end the game.
    a. On the main screen with Play, Social, Options, PlayStation Store
    b.Click the back button on the controller (wait for the next screen to fully load)
    c. This will load Quit to Title Screen
    d. Click the option yes
    e. This then loads backwards one screen (Wait for it to fully load)
    f. At that point I then hold the ps4 button and choose power off ps4.

To avoid single player save issues i am doing this. Same as i do in split screen.

1. So Click options, this will load the screen that says, “resume, social, options, trophies, quit game”, then click quit game, the Quit Game are you sure screen loads I say yes.
    This takes you back to Character selection Play, Social, Options, PlayStation Store
  2. Main player top screen now quits which will go Full Screen
    a. So Click options, this will load the screen that says, “resume, social, options, trophies, quit game”, then click quit game, the Quit Game are you sure screen loads I say yes.
    b. This takes you back to Character selection Play, Social, Options, PlayStation Store
  3. Now to end the game.
    a. On the main screen with Play, Social, Options, PlayStation Store
    b.Click the back button on the controller (wait for the next screen to fully load)
    c. This will load Quit to Title Screen
    d. Click the option yes
    e. This then loads backwards one screen (Wait for it to fully load)
    f. At that point I then hold the ps4 button and choose power off ps4.

To note i have not upgraded my bank since day one so i avoid that bug but if i ever do i will clear my bank first then upgrade the sdu.

5 Likes

And i should say, use this info at your own risk. I did test this but things could still go wrong. This is one day testing today nothing more no longer game play etc just yet.

The safest method is to never leave anything in your bank when you leave the game or use the wall spaces till this is really fixed. Just saying.

1 Like

Thanks I’ll give this a try.

1 Like

Reporting back so far so good no items have since been lost as long as player 2 quits first. :slight_smile:

If you are seeing the same please say so.

I had this happen to me yesterday. I did not play with anyone who didn’t have a vault though. Nor did I play split screen.

I have played exclusively with friends at the same story mission until yesterday. I played for about 2 hours single player side quests only. While playing single player, I did access my vault and dumped some items. Later I joined my friends and we played chapter 22 to 23. Once we got back to sanctuary, I went to add another item to my vault and all my items were gone in the vault.

Something happened between single player and multiplayer.

Someone owes me some gold keys…

2 Likes

Yeah hard to say. I haven’t played online to really get to the meat if the issue there. But maybe you all had a quick quit and pause or there’s something more to it with online. I suppose I could put a shout out two three folks who want to test online to determine how to avoid it but my hours of play right now are pretty late and really gb should be doing this at this point.
It’s entirely possible that even a 3rd or 4th player quiting a certain way is causing the deletion. Like if your four and 2 quits out maybe that deletes 3 and 4.
Which would really suck if it’s a que style it would mean player 4 has to quit then 3 then 2 then 1 for all too keep banked items. But such testing and ideas have to get performed with willing and cooperative participants. Without testing and based on your issue I would highly suggest the suck quit method as it avoids additional issues then report back if even that fails. And to be safe use the wall mounts for important items. Just my 25 cents here. The issue could even be how it saves upon transport. So maybe quit before switching into or out of sanctuary dunno. Cause all in all this totaly smells of a failure of all players bank save data.

And i just checked back on the case to post them my testing this is what i found waiting for me. :smiley:

2K Support Yesterday at 23:16

Please note that this is an automated response

Hey Thgndim,

Thank you for reaching out to Pandora’s 2K Support.

We’re sorry to hear those Children of the Vault made off with your loot.

To look into this further, could you please tell us if you checked your bank while in a group? Once you’re grouped up, the location of the actual bank moves based on your party position.

If you’re still unable to see your items, please provide me with the following:

• SHiFT ID:
  • SHiFT E-mail Address:
  • Detailed list of the items that you’re missing:
  • Video/Screenshot showing you accessing your bank:

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach back out.

See ya Vault Hunter,

2K Support

Can you post a link to the 2k support page you sent that to? I’d like to send my own response to get a ticket, as I have screenshots of the legendaries I lost, though none of the cool Rares and Epics.

Uses your shift account.

https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Its not just 2 players, Today i was playing solo going from boss to boss and farming them,before i started i had cleaned out my inventory so it was like 20/40 bank at 45/45, bought sdu went and farmed came back with stuff and empty bank. So idk exactly where but the problem is either the last sdu or the last bank spaces or if bank is full and you buy sdu, because mine has worked fine up until tvhm

1 Like

Solo player, alot of hours farming. I lost ALL 50 orange weapons, mods, grenades etc. This is ridiculous. How can they make up for the hours of my life i have lost trying to acquire this loot? They cant.

Up until this i really enjoyed borderlands 3, now i feel like i have been taken advantage of.

7 Likes

Just happened to me. Was playing solo all day and went to check my bank and everything is gone now. Thanks a lot Gearbox

Continuing the discussion from Borderlands 3 Missing bank item bug whats happening and how to avoid it:

It just happened to me. Was playing solo all day and just went to grab something from it and everything is gone. Thanks Gearbox. Thanks a lot

Happened to me as well - I had it full with 50 itesm almost all legendary and logged in today and everything from the bank is gone (0/50). My only suggestion is to make frequent backups of your game save files until they can fix this. Windows File History backup is easy and will do the trick.

1 Like

I’ve only played single player by myself, no coop, no special gaming, just playing the, and it happened to me. I don’t use the bank anymore. I am on XBOX one, but, it is happening across all platforms.

XBOX player here.

I had 50 carefully curated Operator class mods in the bank so I could easily switch between different kinds of builds. My best one had a +22% Action Skill CD rate AND bonuses to Adrenaline! There were several Legendaries among these.

These class mods came from all my gameplay since the beginning.

Fortunately I kept a detailed spreadsheet of all of the class mods, which I sent to 2K support. So we’ll see if 2K sends me them.

I can’t tell you how ridiculous it is for a game in 2019 not to let the player roll back their save to a prior known working point. I understand there are likely to be bugs, but there’s no excuse to use “save slots” anymore because that prevents the player from keeping a history of prior versions of a save.

Skyrim on the other hand lets you save at any time, and you can make basically an infinite number of prior saves, limited only by the disk space restrictions of your platform.

So why can’t fully modern games like Borderlands 3 adopt such a system as Skyrim had over five years ago?

Why can’t the game at least do some kind of sanity check between the data it’s about to write to your file, and the data that was in the file before? That way, it would notice that all your items are gone even though the player never sold them or withdrew them from the bank.

This is the kind of bug that totally ruins players’ experience.

It’s bad enough that, in a game where collecting loot is literally the whole point, players are restricted to having a maximum of 50 items. This is 2019! My console has a terabyte HDD!! Why can’t I have 50,000 items in my bank? Seriously!!

The severe restriction of inventory space has always been the worst thing about Borderlands. In Borderlands 1 on XBOX 360, I was able to mod my save file so my backpack could hold over 1,000 items, and it worked perfectly. Never had a crash or lost an item. It made the game sooo much better and more fun.

3 Likes

I’m on PC. I did everything in the game that’s supposed to cause stored item loss. Joining people, leaving, disconnecting, crashing, upgrading, switching to offline, online and so on. My bank is still full. I don’t think this bug is caused by ingame situations alone. Seeing how cloud saves didn’t go smooth, it might be something in that direction. I only use local saves and keep cloud saving disabled. (Also doing frequent backups of my save files). How about you? Did you use cloud save by any chance?

1 Like

Can you not download a previous save from the cloud and get most/all your items back? Or does it affect that save somehow too?

So, it happend to me a few days ago during my first playthrough.
I lost 40 items. It wasnt as bad as it could be, because I wasnt
Lvl 50.

I wrote a ticket and got an eMail from 2k. They wanted me to
provide some infos:

• my Shift ID
  • my Shift eMail address
  • a screenshot of the empty bank
  • a detailed list of the lost items

Are you kidding me ??? We are the damaged player who spent
up to 100 Dollars/Euros and then we should prove and
provide a detailed list of the lost items ?

Sorry but i didnt write down the items on a paper. That
is a really bad behavior. The bank bug is well known for
a week about all platforms.

I finished the second playthroug on TVHM. But now I can not
farm because the bank is broken and my inventory is full.

Good job.

I like the whole franchise, all the characters and the story.

But the way you behave towards YOUR community sucks.
Work on it !!!

1 Like

To OP: Are you a softwaretester by any chance? If not, think about that as a career option. I merely hold an ISTQB Foundation certificate but am quite impressed with your approach.

No never been a dedicated software tester. I’ve always been in support. But one of my support jobs entailed bug testing to determination from clients. Test a problem on current version then next version and two versions back so I did write bugs for educational software for about 8 years in my roll as tier 2 support. :smiley: And thanks.