Borderlands Handsome Jack Collection 4K Update: who gets it

I keep seeing on third party announcements that this update is only for PS4: Pro and Xbox One X… but on the actual Borderlands website’s announcement it specifically does NOT say anywhere which consoles are eligible - just that they are PS4 & Xbox One. The reason I’m asking is I have an Xbox One Elite… I have literally been told I’m wrong about having an Elite Xbone because the only “Elite title” product is the Xbox One Elite Controller and that I must be thinking about the Xbox One X. LOL no. It’s an Xbox One Elite, with an Elite Controller that came with it, I got it at least one year before the Xbox One X was even released, and now I’m not sure what my console is classified as. I have the Handsome Collection installed so at least I’m sure about one thing…

P.S. Idk why the Xbox One tag was added but I meant to only put the Handsome Collection tag and idk how to remove a tag so if an admin could help me fix that I’d appreciate it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums.

The only consoles that gets the patch is PS4 Pro and Xbox One X.
Base consoles are stuck with a native 1080p resolution.

@VaultHunter101 This thread should be moved to General Discussion.

2 Likes

Moved. And yes, no 4K UHD update on original XB1, XB1 S, or PS4. Only for beefier XB1 X and PS 4 Pro, and PC (assuming you have the graphics card and screen to run 4K).

1 Like

Do I have to enable 4K and HDR somewhere in the menu? Or will it automatically be set to 4K and HDR after I have downloaded the 4k Update from PSN?

1 Like

Yesterday, after update, I played TPS on my original PS4 (not pro). I have not installed the HD textures from store yet. But the visual performance looked like have improved. Frame drops were much less than before.

1 Like

It’s set automatically after you’ve downloaded the update.

1 Like

Sounds good! I got the same updates on my base XB1, and the TPS download was actually bigger than the BL2 one. I’ll have to fire it up. How’s the journey through Elesseer looking?

1 Like

(I play on PS4 Pro).

I only tested TPS in a few areas, and overall I was less impressed by the performance, for example, Hyperion Hub of Heroism lagged a bit less I think, but it was still pretty laggy when the lag spikes hit. In Triton Flats I don’t think I even noticed a frame drop, though.
I’m still very happy that both games are an improvement, and not the opposite.

A lot of times we actuallty get downgrades, like Doom 2016, it runs a lot worse than before the patch on PS4 Pro, for example.

BL2 on the other hand I’m extremely impressed by what GBX managed to pull off!
Overall it runs flawlessly except a few drops here and there, and also by Maya’s Phaselock.
I went to Washburne Refinery to do a stress test, however it runs near flawlessly!
Great job Gearbox! :smiley:
I didn’t go through the entire area though, since I didn’t feel like it, I only killed everything in the first room including the Badass Loader.

The lighting is much improved, especially in BL2, it’s a bit less noticable in TPS cuz the lighting in that game is a bit odd, since you have no idea what time of day it is, and it looks rather different at times. It did look prettier, though.

The inventory looks very sharp now in both games, it looks just like the PC version! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

currently downloading the update. Just curious there are 2 update, 1 is version 1.05 of the game and another is the UHD pack.

any word on what they updated on the newer version? I am thinking maybe the advertisement.

For some reason I am still only getting 1080p after downloading the updated texture pack. Pretty annoying since I bought the handsome jack collection on ps4 pro specifically because it was updated to 4k, I already own it on PC.

1 Like

That’s very strange.
Some games force you to activate supersampling mode in the XMB settings to supersample from 4k on a 1080p screen, however I own a 1080p screen myself, and in this case I didn’t have to activate supersampling mode, so I neglected to mention it in my post.

1 Like

It’s a 4k tv, I have other games that use 4k just fine. Only thing I can think is that I initially downloaded the texture pack before the game, I have tried deleting it and reinstalling, no luck, still 1080p

1 Like

I noticed that THC had less (not none, less) frame drops. It seems to be very obvious on Borderlands 2, it’s subtle, but it’s pretty obvious for not being in your face. The game almost never lags in certain places anymore, like Lynchwood or Sanctuary. The DPUH doesn’t stagger the framerate.
After that. Definitely not stable, or optimized to the level Doom was on base consoles.
Caustic Caverns still wants to tear out the screen, but instead janks the FPS. DLC still pushes the engine but it’s got a few optimizations, but not like how the base game has a near stable framerate after 4 years ported.
I noticed TPS is still not very stable, but has some added optimization.

Overall, though, I mean ■■■■. Good job. It’s still getting the improvements we asked for. It’s been a long time, but it’s the improvements we wanted nonetheless.

2 Likes

There’s nothing in the in-game video settings to toggle? I’d suggest dropping a note to https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new about this.

1 Like

Nope, no resolution toggle in the menu. I can tell it’s using the improved texture and it switched the tv to HDR mode as well. I’ve pretty much decided it’s probably a good thing, the textures look great and the frame rates are smooth as silk.

1 Like

I suppose there is another thing you could do if you want. You could set your PS4 to 1080p and then turn on Supersampling mode. Then you’d basically be getting 4k anyway.