Borderlands one using the unreal 4 engine?

the idea occurred to me after the gearbox panel had no news.
i think it would be a great way to show off the new engine.

a tech demo using battleborn also came to mind.
dev and mods, i hope this topic meets with your
approval?

thoughts, comments, snide remarks. :slight_smile:

It would be neat to see, but I’d really rather have them working on BL3 than taking the time to tinker with getting old versions to work with new engines.

2 Likes

I see your point. it seemed like a good idea at the time. something to hold us
over until bl3 eventually comes out.

1 Like

It would be cool as some sort of future Borderlands Remastered package.

5 Likes

BL1 in UE4 (just a graphical upgrade, no tinkering with anything else)?

4 Likes

There are tons of textures in BL1 that have manual cross hatching that would conflict with the new way of rendering them with the engine.

It would look like stinky poodoo without major retexturing across the board.

Do not want.

1 Like

I agree, remastered bl1 would rock as well.

have any of the devs or mods heard anything about a
future bl1 port on the ps4?

thanks in advance for any info.

It worked for Gears of War remastered (plus the added bonus of having the missions exclusive to PC) I can see it working for BL1.

There’s also the fact that the editing tools they used changed when they moved over to BL2 (and likely again when they did Battleborn) so unless they just do a general texture/visual upgrade, there’d be a fair amount of work involved with importing it into their newer development system.

i’d be perfectly fine with that type of upgrade, lowlines.

hopefully, ps3 borderlands saves could transfer over

to the ps4 like the handsome collection saves did.

This is always gonna be the case with re-masters though. It’s a shame very few devs ever talk about this kind of process and what’s involved. From what we read shortly after the PS4 came out, some games aren’t too difficult. It requires the code being transported to the new OS, reworked and then mastering of the graphics and stuff. Considering the PS4 and XBOX1 both made it far easier to rework from one platform to the other, I don’t see an issue. It’s probably down the the man hours needed and potential sales. They wouldn’t want to outsource for this reason, and internally we ‘assume’ the whole team will be going bonkers at it producing the next in the series.

I really wish they’d be open about remasters and the work involved, so we the consumers can understand better.
@Jythri - @JoeKGBX ? Any chance of lowdown from devs on this topic?

I can’t say a lot about the “project that should not be named” of course. :slight_smile: But I can give you sort of a high-level run through of the type of work required to move Battleborn to UE4, should we ever need to do that.

But, Battleborn was built in UE3 after YEARS of customizing tools. Most of what let us build the game as designers were custom additions to the UE3 framework, shaped around the features we use regularly. Many of those systems were inherited from previous projects at Gearbox.

When you Upgrade to UE4, they changed enough paradigms about how the game works that most of those tools wouldn’t easily port. We would have to make smart calls about what the most important ones would be, and then move/adapt them one-by-one to a new system.

For example, the editor for Battleborn has a wizard for making a Title. Simple thing. That Wizard creates a couple of definitions in Unreal, links them, sets up naming and package structure, and then jumps out to our backend system, creates an object there, links it to the in-editor definition. At which point, the designer has to open all of those objects and definitions and input text, link the icon file, etc etc. Without the wizard, that’s about a 20 minute process. With the wizard it’s about 5. (Not including the time to graphically create the icon, which is the most time consuming, but completely engine indepedent). Multiply that times 400 titles, and you can justify the day it took us to code up the wizard.

Now, apply that very very straightforward simple component to something like a Battleborn Character. We have a wizard for that, too. It creates a framework where pieces may be built - a web of somewhere near 100 or so elements that comprise the character. when we have wizards for mutations. Wizards for skills. So on so forth. Each of those things designed to save time and tedium and maintain standards which allow us to enhance and balance the game after launch. THEN, consider that each one of those skills is hand-assembled in a logic-based visual design language we implented custom in Gearbox (called “Construct”). That framework was years in the making.

All of those things, as needed to make component pieces, would need to be re-created in UE4 for us to pull Battleborn forward into the editor.

When you hear things like “Nintendo/Microsoft/Sony” has made it easier for a developer to move their games to our platform, what that generally means is that if I already have a game in a particular engine on one platform, there are tools for porting that to the same engine on another platform (usually PC to one of the other platforms). Moving from one version of an engine to a newer version (like, 10 years newer, right?) is a much much larger undertaking. That’s why we don’t do it all the time, even when it can bring significant benefits.

Hope this helps understand a bit more about the process, and what most developers have to go through when “changing an engine”. It’s always a big deal.

16 Likes

Thank you @jythri for this awesome and detailed insight! This is very much the same in any type of development. I do web dev for a living and the idea of updating a 2-3 year old website to whatever we currently think is cool is basically doing this where you have to decide what you will bring across and what is just easier/smarter to rewrite from scratch or differently to meet the requirements of the new platform. Websites are much much simpler than something such as a game, but I could still write pages of blog posts on some of the technical struggles it would sometimes take to bring something forward. Another thing is when you’ve been using all those sweet new tools for a while, going back and looking at all your old stuff can be like pulling up your photo album with all those embarassing high school photos where you thought you were hip sporting that greasy hair style. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you so much for giving us this detailed feedback. You are most excellent dude!

I too have worked in software development, IT Support, DTP and a bit of web dev, so i have some knowledge but not of what you guys do. I hope the people wanting B1 ported read this, as they’ll understand the huge task that’s required.

I’ve always wanted to see the backend systems of games design and how thing piece together. Shame i live in the UK, might have begged you for an insight… :wink:

Thanks again, have a nice weekend.

thank you very much for your reply, mr. jythri. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

nevermind bl1, keep plugging on that “project”. I look forward to it and perhaps an eventual

battleborn sequel. take it easy. :smile:

And this is why we love you sir!

Hey there even in the uk there are plenty of games design companies and if you need to theres always egx rezzed to meet developers and recruiters but also one game testing companie i kbow of is testology

Simple to push a floppy disk’s data to the cloud.

Who has a floppy drive again?

:wink:

1 Like

A re master for bl1 is a long time coming and was promised by Randy Pitchford if bl2 sold well.

This would be a great way to keep it.

1 Like

Thanks so much for this sir. I appreciate you taking the time to communicate with the fan base. Its not a common occurrence among publisher operators, and one of the reasons why we are all still here.