Borderlans 3 BoxArt

Please, change this reference to the image of Sister Faustyna, “Merciful Christ”
It’s in bad taste.
Boxes 1 and 2, Presequel were beautiful and this …
I love the Borderland series and I’m looking forward to Part 3 but you are going too far !!!
Why you in 3 episode refer to the religion!!! To Christianity.
I don’t like it.
Best Regards

1 Like

Welcome to living on a rock with 10 billion other humans. Not liking things.

9 Likes

I actually think the box art is pretty epic.

That said I do understand your perspective.

4 Likes

Yes it is epic, nice, eye catching but why it refers to Jesus Christ.
F072_Mercy
This well knows paiting is a symbol of endless mercy.
Why it was compared to Borderlands?
For me still it is in bad taste.

1 Like

Because religion/ cults (same difference in my book…kinda like indie or major label) is a central theme in the game maybe? Don’t know much about it yet

Is it bad taste? Yes.

Is it a clever design? Yes.

Borderlands is not a game of subtlety, and this is not the first time it has done something in bad taste. Arguably it is the most egregious. As odiscordia mentions it probably plays into the themes of the game.

And there is no doubt that they are being provocative on purpose. I remember the ad campaign that Dead Space had where they were gleefully pointing out how graphically violent the game was. Pretty effective campaign.

Christianity is responsible for lots of death throughout the history of the religion.
This is a piece of provocative art for a video game. Big deal. Get over it.

5 Likes

Nope, you are in mistake. This is not matter of chrisianity.
This always was a humans matter. I read the Bible, the Koran.
If you mention "christianity is responsible for … " you want to wrote that for example Vatican is responsible for that (for example inquisition). They realy missed what Christianity is. I didn’t found any fragment that christianity calls on the hatred of another human being.
This is why I saying that using Jesus Christ in that way is in bad taste.

1 Like

Indeed. If there were no humans religion would be much less of a problem.

6 Likes

Well, that’s the problem.
That’s not a depiction of Jesus Christ.
It’s 100% Clearly a Psycho. There is nothing “mocking” about the art either, it’s just emulating Christian Imagery. I actually find that the Boxart gives an uncanny sense of calm and all-encompassing serenity which you would have never thought to see in a Borderlands cover.

8 Likes

This.

2 Likes

Well we all knew that X amount of people were gonna get butt hurt. Kudos to gearbox for not worrying about butthurting the planet. Edit- I’m gonna say one more thing before I burn this threads bridge. My personal opinion, that is mine and only mine which I can speak for, is that religion is what is distasteful, particularly the catholic one for Christianity. A giant tax evading, child endangering, steaming pile of hypocrisy which has unleashed an unknowable amount of misery on this planet. That is my opinion. You could say I…don’t like it. Christians should stop practicing because of my dislike. This is obviously an exaggeration meant to prove a point. Your business is your business, not mine and not gearboxs’. Feel free to not buy bl3.

3 Likes

The main theme for the game is false religions and cultism, I think it fits perfectly.

5 Likes

I like how you are more offended in some religious depiction vs a guy pointing to his head like he’s shooting himself.

The art is glorious.

Ain’t no rest for the wicked

9 Likes

The box art is one of the things that hypes me the most tbh!

2 Likes

I use this WAY too often these days…

2 Likes

You. I like you.

Realy B3’s the main theme for the game is false religions and cultism?
Religion is a main topic?
And the catholic church as a reference. Templars -> Vault hunters :smiley:

Why always everyone pointed only Roman-Catholic Church. Islam has the top place with 290 million people killed throughout the history . To this we have to add tens of millions of victims of islam slavery, hundreds of millions of circumcised girls, deprived of their femininity. And they are constantly practicing the extermination of non-believers in USA, Europe, Africa and we can count quite long. Why there isn’t a reference to Islam and Mahomet? (answer below)
Rome-Catolic church end this madness an age ago. Fortunately, the crimes odiscordia mention are at least still revealed and punished.

And the strong facts is that religions were, are and will be and nobody change it, never on this rock with 10 billons of people where
Christianity 33.43%
Islam 24.35%
Hinduism 13.78%
Sikhizm 0,36%
Judaizm 0,21%
Bahaizm 0,11%
other religions ~17%
and only ~10% is a non-belives :open_mouth:
Islamologists claims that to 2050 it will be increase ~75% in Islam belivers :open_mouth:
Why all the times someone put “stick into the antnest”
Taking that it would be beter without any religion is a dream, fantasy. It never happen. Esepcialy when that opinion could have only ~10% of earth population.
And B3 is in this topic. OK. I will see. Puting the stick to the that nest is a safe, nowadays Christians in huge majority are nice and peacefull nations instead of Musilms, I can understand it on our rock reality. Nobody come to the game studio with hand grenates, AK-47, Uzis like satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo in France which published caricatures of Mahomet. But again reference to Jesus Christ is in bad taste at all. This is my own opinion.
We can talk about reality, about religion but you have to master that matter. This is a big, real topic with huge history and real big danger for non-belivers regarding Islam. The are not mercy for the wicked at all and this is in our real world. I recomend Koran to master the knowledge (especially how Muslim can easily hide the true about Islam and true intention to the non-belivers when they in minority of society)
But The game is only the game.
I love Borderland and will play and will see how they treat that serious topic. Religion topic.

2 Likes

Pre-emptive warning

A reminder to ALL that all posts must comply with the COMMUNITY GUIDELINES and FORUM RULES.

Religion is a touchy subject, and there are plenty of strong views already being expressed here. Do not let things get out of hand.

5 Likes

Personally, I think that either Jesus exists, and he’s big enough to cope with a game box referencing a previous painting by someone of what they imagine he might look a bit like, in which case no-one needs to get upset, or he doesn’t, so there’s no victim, in which case no-one needs to get upset.

I suspect that various religious establishments have ensured that the local culture prohibits irreverence by making sure that lots of folks get angry if they see irreverence. The Charlie Hebdo massacre is the most extreme version of this kind of learnt intolerance. I think that the dogma that religious ideas or symbols have to be protected or revered by everyone even if they don’t share that faith is what led to that horror.

I’ve never really understood how Religions in general get a special pass: all other ideas are open to debate and challenge, why not religious ones?

I also know for a fact that many people at Gearbox identify as religious, and of them, mostly Christian.

9 Likes