Borderlans 3 BoxArt

I saw on the Gearbox loot website they called him Messiah. BUT I believe this to be a missed opportunity when they could have called him THE ONE TRUE SLAB.

I so want a shirt with that design. But they only have it in girls :confused:

Well, in BL2, Lilith was deified as a goddess, and Marcus was similarly worshipped as a gun supplier. And so since the Warrior - having been destroyed in BL2 is gone, something needs to take his place, and religionism and corporatism need a righteous front to push themselves forward into the post-Warrior times and gain for themselves as much power and influence as possible.

So the cultish, religion theme is what the conditions are in a post-Warrior world. Everyone is clamoring for Warrior status, but must be righteous in everyones eye to ascend to power.

Remember the way Marcus would promote sales for himself with prerecorded promos for his weapons? And Lilith kind of played along with the fire cult to find out what they were doing? And Jack always pretended to be righteous too - but not to the vault hunters. He was always honest to them, and malicious.

And so the vault hunters seek the treasures of the vaults, but everyone else seeks/aligns with power, and so righteousness is prevalent in BL3. That’s my guess.

So, the vaults contain knowledge in the form of lost technology, and this translates into power to the factions of Pandora, who will pursue it and make themselves look deserving while fighting each other to get at it first.

3 Likes

I happen to like the box art a whole lot. It’s very pretty imo and has cool little details like the faces found within the roses. I think it’s just being blown out of proportion. Perhaps the box art gives off a more religious vibe because religion or cults worshiping religious affiliated figures could be prevalent within the game. I don’t find it particularly harmful, just an image is all.

1 Like

Don’t forget both Jack and Claptrap being worshipped in Hammerlock’s Hunt, or the Slither Cult in Borderlands 1. Seems to be a bit of a recurring theme there, actually…

3 Likes

Yup. Psychos and the people of Pandora in general have always been depicted as lost souls desperately seeking guidance and salvation. Yes, that is definitely a recurring theme in the series.

1 Like

Honestly the thing that surprised me the most on that front is that there wasn’t something like a bandit cult worshipping a giant carved stone hand giving the middle finger.

1 Like

You realise you just leaked the main focus of the first BL3 DLC? Way to go there pal! :stuck_out_tongue:

Just remembered there was also that mysterious “Cult of the Vault” thing in BL2. Maybe that will be revealed to be linked to the Children of the Vault in BL3.

1 Like

And some bandits worshipping Marcus :smiley:

1 Like

I’ll tell you that it makes a nice wallpaper for your smartwatch.

1 Like

I love the box art. Gearbox is far from the first people to use this imagery in this way.

For the people upset, I simply ask:
Would Jesus care about the cover? Or be more concerned about EVERYTHING ELSE in this game?

For real. Priorities.
Get over yourself as you go around shooting countless hordes and walking away with their hard earned items.

Just sayin

1 Like

I’m not really a fan of this cover art. I think I’ll just leave it at that.

2 Likes

Or, more to the point, be concerned about how humanity is mishandling his message?

Religion is a sensitive topic.

However i am mad because i cannot see maya on the flowers :triumph:

3 Likes

RIP brother. Hope you’re holding up well :heart:

1 Like

Maybe there’s a god above
but all I ever learned from love
was how to shoot somebody
who outdrew ya

1 Like

More of this awesome art

‘Thou Shalt not take the Name of the LORD thy God in vain’, this is the same basic principle. As for everything else, there’s a world of difference between murdering a flesh-and-blood Human and offing a bunch of pixels.

Agreed with O.P., desperately want to get BL3 given how enjoyable the series is and how the trailers look thus far, but uncertain simply based off the box art (as a Catholic), even though the cult itself looks like it has nothing at all to do with Christianity. Sorry, just rather stressed over the matter.

Welcome to the forum!
If it helps, it’s just a picture, referencing another picture, of what an artist imagined a particular person looked like. Pay as much attention to it as you want.
Now, I know that the symbolism has some depth of meaning for you that it won’t to me, (for example) so that might be a bit of a stretch, but give it a go.

1 Like

First off, my first impression of that thing was and still is that of a Buddha statue. It sure resembles those things a lot more in my eyes than Jesus, especially that picture that was shown here earlier.

Also, I don’t want to do any personal attacks but I don’t know how to word this so it doesn’t come out a bit rude so I feel a bit bad saying this: how insecure are you about your beliefs and religion that a comical depiction of something that might not even have anything to do with your religion is throwing you off?

Religion doesn’t have, and shouldn’t have, diplomatic immunity to being subjected to comedy.

4 Likes