Many of us don’t enjoy Mayhem 2.0’s forced modifiers so I thought it might be a fun exercise to come up with new ones (hopefully in the future players will be able to pick modifiers manually or completely disable them if they wish). I’ll aim to think of ones that would make enemy encounters more exciting or difficult but use whatever design philosophy you wish. Anything you think would be fun, challenging, creative, exciting, etc.
Here are some I thought of:
- Introduces a new rank of unique badass enemies. These huge, slow battlefield leaders use their imposing presence to inspire those around them, making mobs more aggressive as long as they remain alive.
- Named enemies will have a small chance to spawn in locations friendly to them. Example: Road Dog, One Punch, Hot Karl, etc. might spawn alongside other CoV enemies in any locations CoV spawn. Repeat for all applicable NPCs and factions.
- Enemies have an increased chance to spawn with unique legendary and non-legendary red-text weapons and shields which they will drop when killed.
- When a Goliath spawns, it has a small chance to be automatically leveled-up into a GOD-liath
- Chance for hybrid enemies to spawn. Players might see NOGs who joined up with the COV, abandoned Wardogs wandering among the skags on Pandora, jabbers riding saurians, etc. These unique mobs would all have non-regular skins to show their change in allegiance.
- Loot enemies will flee much faster than usual but will give increased amounts of loot if players can manage to kill them
I think some of these would go a long way to make encounters feel truly unique and give players the feeling that they never know what to expect with Mayhem Mode. And make things a little more difficult without going the “bullet sponge” route.