Bringing Skill Trees Back from the Dead

(lowlines - PS4) #21

The challenge this weekend was to successfully export the skill tree stats so that they might be loaded in dynamically without any manual wireup. Behind those simple looking stats is a big spaghetti mess of object references that you need to resolve in order to get the actual value for something. “More Pep” is one of the more basic examples. :S

(lowlines - PS4) #22

The results of my time in resolver hell! I’m currently going through and checking/fixing skill stats for every character. I’m hoping to have this done this weekend so I can look at mobile support and then the skill trees for the other games.

Fun fact: It looks like some skill tree changes are still being applied via hotfixes as Zer0’s “Deathmark” skill got a buff Nov 6, 2015 and yet the game data still returns the pre-buffed value!

(Is this thing on?) #23

Yeah, the October 2015 update that was supposed to fix certain things broke some stuff on Zer0, so we ended up with hotfixes. As far as I know, there’s still at least one hotfix needed that was never rolled into a permanent patch. You could check the release notes - it should all be listed there.

(lowlines - PS4) #24

This weekend was all about mobile support. I first had to clean up my overall site navigation as I was loosing a lot of screen real estate and then I rebuilt the skill tree UI from the ground up for mobile. I’ll probably tinker with it some more, but at least I’ve gotten over the initial hurdle of trying to fit the darn thing on a smaller screen!

(lowlines - PS4) #25

Just a quick update. The skill trees are mostly done, however I don’t think I’ll have everything ready to go live with the launch of Borderlands 2 VR. I’m hopeful I’ll be able to push it up some time this month though!