Bug: Backdraft (EDIT: and Chain Reaction) does not function against Thoughtlocked enemies

On Maya, when an enemy is Thoughtlocked, meleeing them does not properly activate the Backdraft bonus fire damage, or its burn effect.

(As a side note, Backdraft is kinda garbage. Five points in it gives you about 15% of your base damage as a melee bonus, not enhanced by any other melee boosts or blade accessories, etc. IE, if you’ve got any bonuses at all, it gets reduces to a 10% or lower bonus(or about 2% bonus melee damage per level). If you’d give it the Cloud Kill treatment, that would be most gentlemanly.)

EDIT: In further testing, it does not seem as if Chain Reaction functions on a thoughtlocked target, either. Bullets will not bounce off them, or towards them, while under the effect.

Also, it seems as if homing grenades will not target Thoughtlocked enemies, including transfusion grenades.

1 Like

When an enemy is thought-locked, it is essentially a friendly, so I’m not surprised Backdraft doesn’t trigger on them.

3 Likes

Okay, in further testing, it seems that Chain Reaction can’t proc on a Thoughtlocked target, which unlike Backdraft is actually a pretty serious bug, as Chain Reaction is a pretty significant source of Maya’s damage.

1 Like

But why would you shoot at a thought-locked target? That seems rather counter-productive for the way the skill works - better to shoot at whatever they are attacking/being attacked by.

1 Like

Honestly, thoughtlock isn’t that much different from normal phaselock in terms of how it’s used. The big difference, is the extra 4 seconds of duration, which allow you to proc ruin, converge, Etc several more times per cool down. Of course, that’s only if you also take subsequence, but with an extra 4 seconds duration, that’s kind of a no-brainer.

An example of when this bug can be a problem, is when I was farming doc Mercy recently. I would thoughtlock him, which would make all the enemies focus on him, and then I would shoot him in the head from behind.

If chain reaction were working, the rest of the mob would be thoroughly weakened by the time I finished killing Mercy. Finishing them off would be relatively easy, and straightforward. However, since it’s not working, once I finished Mercy, not only does the rest of the mob instantly focus on me, they’re all still at full health.

1 Like

A thought-locked enemy becomes a friendly, so the game isn’t going to trigger anything that reads “when damaging an enemy” off them. It may not be working the way you would like it to, but I don’t think it’s something I’d classify as a bug. Either way, I doubt that Gearbox would do anything about it at this stage in the game’s life - especially with BL3 less than a month away.

2 Likes

I mean, you can still damage them, so they’re an enemy by at least one definition. It seems really odd and inconsistent that some effects work and others don’t. Either it should be everything or nothing.

And yeah, but you never know! Maybe they’ll do an end-stage final bugfix/rebalance, fix the bugs, tweak the crappy pearls, then set it as its ‘final’ state for all time. Better they know about it, at least!

1 Like

That was basically the fall 2015 update, which surprised a lot of people for the sheer number of fixes and improvements. I doubt there would be another one.

2 Likes

That’s really interesting in regards to Thoughtlocked enemies not proc’ing Chain Reaction…I went back to look for some video evidence for or against this…Here’s @Derch with a normal OP8 Binder/Subsequence/Thoughtlock build going through Bloodshot Stronghold and yeah, it doesn’t appear Chain Reaction is proc’ing (nearby enemies aren’t dying randomly, I’m not seeing bullets bounce off).

edit: Thoughtlock does allow Chain Reaction to Proc, but not on the Thoughtlocked target as that is treated as a friendly. Any other enemies will still have CR proc when you shoot them. I got this from this Demonite video

Thoughtlocked enemies are treated as friendlies, hence why you’re not seeing homing grenades target them…It’s tough if you’re playing with a melee Zer0 as it appears as a friendly for executes…You see this causing some issues on this run around the 11 minute mark for example

Backdraft only works with niche builds centered around it

3 Likes