[BUG] STC warping animation partially ignored

(Nathanius) #1

Hi all,

Since our favourite dev @bitvenom has come up for air I thought I might air this issue again. STCR has been at the top of the most popular list for HwRM since it came out on the 50th anniversary of Star Trek and I am givin’ it all I got :smiley:

The story so far

1. In my frustration I actually learned how to do animations in Max and have successfully brought some doors and other things to life

2. The warp animations, specifically the “warp out” part, just doesn’t play. If you tell the game to use the one animation for both warp in and out, neither animations are played. If you invert the animations, the “warp_in” will play when the “warp out” would have happened. So both animations work, just never together.

The animations are called via a script, here is the lines from the *.madstate file:

MadState
FED_TNG_INTREPID_NIS00_OnSet = function(ship)
	startAnim(ship, "warp_in")
end

FED_TNG_INTREPID_NIS01_OnSet = function(ship)
	startAnim(ship, "warp_out")
end

Here is how it is called in the game script.

[details=Warp Script Excerpt]
if( tShip.iWarpTimer == WARP_tFXOffset[tShip.sRace][1]) then
SobGroup_SetMadState(tShip.sob, “NIS01”)
FX_StartEvent(tShip.sob, “nacelleflash”)
end[/details]

1. I dimly recall that BitVenom said animating the root joint was a no-no. At this point most of the *.mad files in the STC mod are the original ones from HW2C, and the same section of the warp animation is played for both the old and new games.

2. Current thinking is to use frames (30 FPS) and to space out the animations. Also to have a JNT[Root_Anim] directly below the ROOT_LOD[0] position, and then have everything else on that. The new Root_Anim is what’s animated for the warp sequence

The goods

I have prepared a sample file (car_TNG_brinok.zip) and put it in My Public OneDrive folder. Please let me know if you need any more information.

[TOOL] DAEnerys - DAE Ship Editor
HWR Bugs & Solutions
(ajlsunrise) #2

You have a space there.

(Herbyguitar) #3

AHAH!!! I hope that’s it :smiley:

(Nathanius) #4

That space was just from me mucking with formatting on the forum, the hide detail thing is hit and miss :sweat_smile:

All ships are equally affected :expressionless:

(ajlsunrise) #5

(Nathanius) #6

Ugh…

Here’s a fresh link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjHLszqa4A26rb4xsNR1TJxws0KoHQ

(ajlsunrise) #7

Started extracting the STCR.big downloaded from the Steam workshop and got this:

Extracting 'sound\speech\voice assignments.xls' ...  162 archivestream.c:Assertion of (dbBreak) failed.

--stack trace--

0x76D962C4: BaseThreadInitThunk                         (C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNEL32.DLL)
0x77CC0FD9: RtlSubscribeWnfStateChangeNotification         (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll)
0x77CC0FA4: RtlSubscribeWnfStateChangeNotification         (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll)

(ajlsunrise) #8

Hehehe… I got my test to work, both warp in and warp out :slight_smile:
I’ll upload my files, for you to take a look.

(Nathanius) #9

Holy… WTF was wrong with the bloody thing?

Also, we’re currently conscripting… Eh… Hiring… :sweat_smile:

(ajlsunrise) #10

Well, I suppose I have to come clean… I got it working in the vanilla game, so that at least is encouraging…

(Nathanius) #11

This puzzles and intrigues me…

Did you have the animations playing with a hyperspace jump?

(ajlsunrise) #12

Wait just a moment…

Edit:

(Nathanius) #13

This means that the warp animations can be fixed! Also… the hyperspace window with the ship movement looks pretty damn sexy on its own!

(Siber) #14

Awesome. So, do you know what you did differently?

(Herbyguitar) #15

I’m still skeptical until I see the old STC warp anim actually work as it used to…

(Nathanius) #16

The suspense is killing me… How much will I need to change? :cold_sweat:

(Sastrei) #17

(ajlsunrise) #18

I thought so too.

I did two (three) things (all from scratch):

1. I re-built the warp animation (although my example was just a linear graph, not a exponential one like the STC Warp is, but the premise is still there).
  2. I re-coded the hyperspace check code that STC already had, and
    a. put it in a custom code file (mostly because I didn’t want to mess with SobGroup splitting, game rules, and other such stuff).

I don’t know what that looked like and how it worked, but I think I can get it there.

Well, at the very least: the mad files for each ship (I could probably write a quick utility to process them in a batch all at once – unless they are all exactly (or mostly) the same), and the warp check script.

Well, please ask! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Nathanius) #19

Can I please have an example? :innocent:

(Sastrei) #20

This might be self-evident in an example, and if it’s ok with the STC team I’d love to get my hands on it, but how are you running separate “warp in” and “warp out” animations? B5 and Star Wars could use this as well.