[Build] Deputy Sal

While it’s only been few sessions, I’m finding myself going into FFYL far less often with the Brawn version, compared to the old Bus version (with FotF and NE Monk) that I used to unlock OP8. I’ve been using Evolution with either Altered Beast or Legendary Berserker.

So far, I’m preferring the cooldown reduction and faster movement of Legendary Berserker better (the difference in health vs Altered Beast was negligible). I was afraid FttB bonus on it would increase the ROM mag size too much, but it only went up to 4.

I am curious which is better for the actual health regen - HtK bonus vs health & Sexual T-Rex bonus.

Thanks again for the great build!

(Santa Söze) #451

I take that to mean : which is the better COM for health regen, the Leg Berserker or the Beast?

@kbk160008 is the author of the Beast build and has concluded that the Beast (with a health relic) is the COM of choice for a no-Moxxi build. Check it out!

I will always love the Leg Berserker no matter what : the movement speed and the possibilities that 10/5 in FttB can offer…aside from the health, cooldown, Incite and the fact that you can switch to melee by just changing guns, shield and relic.

Edit : I just tried the two back to back at Sawtooth (which is one of the more insane places to go with no Moxxi and no FFYL weapons) and I have to admit the L Berserker does it for me. The duck and weave you get from the extra movement speed seems to offset the reduced health and Sexy T.

(kbk160008) #452

I agree.

(Carlton Slayer) #453

This reminds me that I should update my Forever in Pain build to include the L. Berserker as that is what Reverend Pain use most of the time now…

(kbk160008) #454

What is it?

(Is this thing on?) #455

You’ll find a link under Misc. here:

(kbk160008) #456

Thank you.

(It's a LVL 72 Poncho of the Ancients) #457

Hi guys.

Deputy Sal noob here and I have some questions. Did my best to read through the thread but couldn’t find what I’m looking for.

My Sal just hit 72, I tell the story in the WDYDT thread. I’ve been putting together a Deputy build and everything is coming together nicely. I’m really enjoying using this build and it’s probably kept me from abandoning Sal (I’m so tired of the Harold/Rubi combo).

I’m using the Brawn build at the moment. For my shotguns I have a Huntin Coach and Well Kept Triquetra. Both with Jakobs Stocks. Problem is when I put 5/5 in FttB I get the Moneyshot every third shot as opposed to every other shot. To circumvent this I’ve put only 3 points in FttB, but this means I have to put 2 in Inconceivable to continue down the tree. The guide says to NEVER put anything in Inconceivable. While I understand this, it does seem to be working as expected other than having to manually reload on occasion. What am I over-looking? How do I have 5/5 in FttB and still have the moneyshot every other shot? I see 5/5 in FttB for all the builds. As soon as I put 4 in, I get that third shot.

Also above I saw some talk of the use of a Kitten. I actually had a slag Kitten on a Mule and decided to give it a try. Worked well, but I’m pretty sure it has a Dahl grip. Is the Vladof grip desirable for the fire rate? Would a Chaotic Evil COM correct this? Right now I only have the Lawful Evil as it’s the only one I’ve been able to find so far.

Lastly, thanks for this awesome thread, it’s been very informative an insightful. It’s gotten me excited about using Sal.

(Is this thing on?) #458

Since you’re mainly using a slag Kitten to (1) apply slag and (2) benefit from the health recovery off the damage from your other weapon and grenades, fire rate isn’t that big of a deal. If you were using it as your primary weapon for dealing damage (Kitten Gaige, for example) it would be a bit different. That said, a Vladof grip should give the highest DPS, and Dahl would be on the low end, so if you have a choice…

(It's a LVL 72 Poncho of the Ancients) #459

Thanks, Got it. I actually plan on using a slag Rubi most of the time. The Kitten was just an afterthought as I had it on one of my mules. Come to think of it I may have another one…The litte that I used it, it was quite effective…

(Santa Söze) #460

Do you mean Jakobs grips?
The Triquetra normally has a larger than average mag size, so it’s no surprise. I’ve managed to crank it up to 15 with COM, matching grip and relic.

Blue Coach Guns are often recommended as they’ll have a smaller mag size. Or the Orphan Maker of course (only with Bandit or Jakobs grip).

Spec-ing Inconceivable isn’t the worst thing ever with a couple points - you just have to be aware if you get reload stalling to manually reload.

(It's a LVL 72 Poncho of the Ancients) #461

Yes…that’s what I meant…typo.

Ok…makes sense. I’ve gotten the stalled reload and it’s really not unmanageable so I’ll deal with it and eventually(hopefully) farm up a ROM.

(Not a real Dr. but I got style...) #462

As I already stated many times. My “Deputy version” is very loose on the defenition and I do have inconceivable 4/5 . Just need to pay attention at what’s going on. Was annoying when I didn’t knew what was going on but now it’s a non issue.

(I might spec out of it thou. Despite the occasional Money Shot chain. Probably had it because of a COM at some point.)

(Jerk of all toons, master of none.) #463

You will, on both counts. I used a purple coach gun for a bit before I decided to get a ROM, and it wasn’t terrible with the longer wait for the money shot. In the meantime, listen to @Jefe. Keep your eyes out for a coach gun (or any Jakobs shottie. Just equip it to see what the mag is in practice) with an appropriate mag size, and then you’re golden. I’m not sure that FttB changes the left hand mag size, and that’s the hand where you need the smaller mag. I’m specced to the hilt in it, and my ROM is 3 (card value) in the left hand and 5 in the right.

(It's a LVL 72 Poncho of the Ancients) #464

Mine started out very loose as well, but the closer I followed the guidelines the better the results.
Being that I really like the Triquetra I suppose I’ll have to deal with it.

I’m alternating between the Triquetra and a purple coach and getting pretty fantastic results.

Unfortunately it does, I was hoping that was the case but I checked it…not a huge deal.

I was able to get the Chaotic Evil COM, but in purple. Evidently the blue is better in that it has +6 Moneyshot. This one will do for now.

Everything I’ve had to get for this Deputy build has come pretty easily so I’ll do a couple runs for the ROM, maybe I’ll get lucky like I did with everything else. It’s just such a tedious farm.

(Jerk of all toons, master of none.) #465

Maybe it’s something to do with the math, like there’s a minimum mag size for %boosts to make a difference. For instance, I know that it doesn’t boost a mag size 2 ROM to three, but maybe it can boost a mag of 4 to 5. @Jefe ported this thread here and it’s not listed there. Maybe that should be added? Or maybe I read the list wrong and it’s of things that don’t work (highly likely. My head is stuffy and I might not be thinking too clearly. Go decongestants!)?

(Santa Söze) #466

That’s a bit min/max imo. I like the purple because it gets you some free Brawn protection and you’re only losing one point (if you happen to get +5 M$, +3/4 Sexy, +3/4 Asbestos). Asbestos is worth a point if a COM will boost it and Sexy T is actually viable at 8/5+. Besides you’re already getting extra crit from the Evil prefix.

5/5 FttB gives 25% but I can’t remember if it will round up. For example, if a mag of 3 (3 x 1.25= 3.75) will become 4. Not sure. But a 4 will become 5.

That list is as complete as I can make out with the exception of skills. There are a bunch of skills missing from that that I’ve been meaning to get to for months. Maybe I’ll do just that tonight.

This is more relevant to my Jakobs build, but there might be some tips in here:

Ignore the first half.

(It's a LVL 72 Poncho of the Ancients) #467

I actually got +3MS +5 Sexy +4 Asbestos…might be better off with the lawful evil that has +5MS +3 Asbestos +4 Sexy…hmmm

(Santa Söze) #468

Oh definitely.

This is why I love Sal : he’s the most simple, basic character on paper. Shoot gun good , shoot two guns gooder - insert Beevis and Butthead laugh. But he is by far the most complicated character of them all.

(Is this thing on?) #469

Well, let’s say it was a 25% boost:

• Mag size = 2: 25% = +0.5 so new size is 2.5 - possibly gets rounded down?
  • Mag size = 4: 25% = +1.0 so new size is 5 - not going to be rounded

That’s just numbers plucked out of thin air, but it gives a pretty good idea of what might be going on.