• Zane “Winter is coming” Cryo Build •
Viable for all content currently in the game. Capable of solo Slaughter Shaft (video below).
I’ve put around 200 hours into Borderlands 3 mostly playing Zane with many different build versions and here is a full guide on my most succesful build so far.
If you’re looking for a strong Cryo version that is focusing around Barrier & Drone than you’re at the right place.
• Solo Slaughter Shaft •
• Playstyle •
This build is going to focus on fast gameplay that combines high damage with a lot of defense thanks to Barrier uptime. You’re going to be able to melt everything even with bad mayhem modifiers.
You can easily do all bosses in the game, however if you’re only looking for a boss-killer build then there are better zane builds out there. This build is mostly build around Circle of Slaughter & Proving Grounds.
• Equipment •
1. Crossroad: Overall the best SMG currently in the game. Very high rate of fire and a ton of damage. It’s going to immediately proc “Brain freeze” and has crazy burst damage when combined with “re-router” (shield).
2. Cutsman: Probably the best all around Boss-killer weapon for Zane thanks to our “Playing Dirty” talent. Not that great for normal enemies because the travel time is high but make sure to use this gun for Anointed enemies & bosses.
3. Optional: Personal preference
3. Optional: Personal preference
1. MIRV Hex: Great synergy since we’re focusing on Cryo/freezing enemies. Any MIRV nade is good but a cryo version is going to help freezing multiple targets at once.
2. Storm Front: If you’re having a hard time with shielded enemies make sure to use one of these. The delay is a bit annoying but it’s going to melt shields.
3. Epicenter: If you feel like you don’t need a cryo MIRV nade make sure to use one of these the damage is really good and it looks cool
Shield & Class mod
1. Re-Router: Big damage boost for the Crossroad as you can see in video above it instantly destroys shields and sometimes even 2 bars at once. In theory you can use any shield you want but “Re-Router” is probably the biggest damage boost you can get out of a shield.
We don’t care about -50% shield because our goal should always be to A: maintain Barrier uptime with “Good Misfortune” or B: trust “Salvation”.
2. Executor: Highest damage unique effect. Make sure to get at least +2 for “Good Misfortune” or best case scenario 3.
In terms of stats, best in slot would be +SMG damage // +Cryo damage // +reload speed or weapon damage in general.
Slide speed is cool & all but in terms of damage this is the best artifact you can get. Use a slide speed artifact for bosses if you want.
Unique effect: Best in slot would be 60 second damage and movement speed after killing a Badass (not sure if it’s even possible to get on this Artifact).
You do not have to use the same unique effect that i am using. It’s very risky to use the same one because you’re very vulnerable if your shield isn’t up.
In terms of stats look for pure damage. +SMG damage & Cryo Damage or movement speed.
• Most important talents •
• Brain Freeze: 3 Points are enough, there is no point in spending 5 points.
• Best Served Cold: Damage is “meh” but it helps freezing multiple targets at once way faster and leaves a cryo field on the ground.
• Calm, Cool, Collected: Helps with overall survivability and cooldowns.
• Nanites Or Some S h ite: Mostly for reload speed and shield delay. Do not pick 10% gun damage instead. It’s not worth it.
• All-Rounder: Keeps you alive.
• Salvation: Keeps you alive. You can also spend additional 2 points here if you don’t want 1 point each in “Cold Bore” / “Violent Speed”.
• Playing Dirty: Always at least 5 points. One of the best damage source on the entire talent tree. Especially while using the Cutsman SMG.
• Good Misfortune: Keeps you alive. The faster you kill the longer your Barrier/Drone are going to be up. If you’re doing proving grounds and you have 6 points total in “Good Misfortune” the Barrier should last until you clear an entire room (unless you kill too slow).
• Bad Dose: Best drone perk thanks to Radiation damage and overall buffs for Zane.
There isn’t much you have to worry about. The only thing i would not recommend would be to run crazy - damage modifiers but that should be common sense.
You can run -50% cryo efficency, you can run projectile reflect and any kind of -shield/health.
Overall this feels great even without good Anointed mods or crazy good stats on all items. As long as you have a Cryo Crossroad and a Cutsman you should be fine.
You can also use this build using Sniper rifles. I’d recommend Maliwan Alien barrel sniper rifles. fast reload time / high fire rate.
If there is any kind of problem with the links or pictures above or anything else let me know.