But...what's really new and creative in BL3?

Just asking.
Seen new characters. ok. Nothing special.
Seen new maps…normal, as expected.
And… is there something new ? Something that will surprise us ?
Thanks,ciao

1 Like

Game releases in 5 months. Gameplay reveal coming May 1st.
Seems a little early to be expecting details of this sort.

There’s a bit of info on the upcoming weapon gimmicks over at https://borderlands.com/en-US/game-info/#-

I mean, it’ll be the third(main) Borderlands game. What sort of thing are you looking for, this “something new”, this “something that will surprise us”?

I get if your unimpressed with what we have, I’m just saying it’s early to be disappointed.

8 Likes

I imagine we’ll find that out with the gameplay reveal and the story when the game comes out.
They’ve announced Radiation as a damage type along with the importance of the Sirens. We know each character will seemingly have 3 action skills instead of 1 and we know about several new vehicle types.

We’ll get more soon. If you’re expecting the game to be the difference between the original Legend of Zelda and BotW then I imagine you’ll be fairly disappointed.

3 Likes

I find this attitude to be a bit weird myself, but I see it quite often.

“I mean sure, this new Borderlands game looks like a good Borderlands game. But why can’t we have a Borderlands game that ISN’T like a Borderlands game?”

holds for applause

If you’re looking for creative new gun mechanics and skill trees then fine, but I’ve seen people go so far as to say Borderlands should change genres and become an MMO or something and I just don’t get it.

14 Likes

There’s tons and tons of new stuff and we haven’t even seen someone actually play the game yet.
If you didn’t notice it, perhaps you’re looking for something that was never going to make it into the game to begin with.

1 Like

The new Vault Hunters look VERY special to me. The art work is clearly different, it has advanced both technically and creatively. The main antagonists are nothing like we’ve seen before. The bits of the maps we’ve seen do not look like anything on Pandora. Various new mechanics for guns, different types of choices in skills, an expansion of the custom appearance system. And, so far we’ve seen an attention to detail (in the trailers) equal to or better than any game I’ve ever heard of.

So, yeah, don’t know what you’re looking for, but BL3 looks to me to be a clear advancement of the Borderlands franchise. I said it before, I believe it will be the best Borderlands yet. :+1::smiley:

5 Likes

It’s got walking guns ffs. WALKING GUNS!

Also, beer belly physics. Win!

4 Likes

I’ve not read or heard anyone say Borderlands should change genres, I’ve just read people saying what they’d like to see.

In theory the next installment in the series could easily be made into an MMO and still play the same mechanics wise. However we’d most likely lose out on quality in terms of the story behind the game due to changes on transitioning to an MMO such as people creating their own character instead of having a pre-created character full of their own personality.

Such a transition can also be met with resistance from fans of the series as well. If you look past the glitches and such with Fallout 76 one of the main complaints left was essentially that it wasn’t Fallout 3 or New Vegas with online Co-Op. Even after all the times Bethesda openly stated the game wouldn’t be this before launch.

3 Likes

The eternal quandary of the developer: Do I keep refining a successful formula, or do I take a big leap into a new mode.
Doesn’t matter if you’re writing a game or a spreadsheet. you have to make that decision. In my 40 years in software I’ve seen the choice to refine and stay the course both work and fail, and I’ve seen the go in a new direction work and fail.
The bottom line is that when you write a follow up to something successful you’re not going to please everyone. So you do what you & your fellow employees think is the right thing, and see how it goes.
–RoA

4 Likes

nooooooooOOOoooo… nooooaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhoooooooooo…

On a more serious note, they already tried and it… it didn’t pan out. Honestly, I’d prefer to just see the series have a graceful and fun ending. I hate seeing a series I enjoy become a dead horse that is put on display for years past its expiration date. That’s why I like shows that don’t keep going after the main story is done. You don’t need 13 seasons.

Give me 2-6 GOOD seasons and you’ll be praised for decades to come. Give me 3 good seasons, 5 passable ones, and 6 “oh my gods, what have you done, you monsters?” seasons and… well… this is Borderland’s 4th season. Don’t kill the horse. Let Buttstallion ride off into the sunset.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t count that Chinese project as an attempt at making the game an MMO. To me it felt like a 3rd party company trying to cash in on the game’s popularity in a foreign market. I mean they’ve done the same with other successful mainstream titles. (They’d managed to make and get things like bootlegged Pokémon games into the Google Play and iTunes App stores for a short time. They could imitate the art style and gameplay mechanics but fell flat when it came to the story and quality of the environment which probably turned people off it due to noticing the lack of quality on the product if it wasn’t shut down for legal reasons.

There’s also different ways to go as an online game. When the Phantasy Star series went the MMO route they chose to have large social hubs but have the actual gameplay questing done with a party of 1-4 using instances. They’ve pretty much kept it that way in the series since then with a small change with PSO2 where multiple parties could exist in some of the outside areas populated with normal enemies where mission zones intersect. I suppose you could call this a sort of MMO hybrid due to the PSO series being very playable solo. As opposed to just a giant open world where you have to essentially compete with every other player around you like Fallout76 or more traditional MMO’s that required parties to do endgame or dungeon like content.

Done right the game could make an amazing transition into a sort of MMO. However many people don’t like change. Others are afraid of it. Some of the fears are legitimate as some past titles made an official attempt at this transition and it didn’t work out well. However do not base this on attempts by foreign bootleggers.

If we look at some other franchises.
Phantasy star started as offline single player RPGs and successfully transitioned. PSO is counted among the best games on dreamcast and gamecube
Final Fantasy is on its 2nd MMO in the series. Though transitioning for this franchise was easier story wise as few of the games had story continuity in the way of sequels.
World of Warcraft transitioned successfully but I attribute that more to Blizzard brand loyalty with their fanbase and also the skill of Blizzard’s marketing team.
Elderscrolls did ESO. It had a rough start but was able to recover and get better. I haven’t gotten far on this one so I’m not sure what kind of story continuity exists between it and the other single player games in the series though it does take place in the same world.
Fallout 76 has gotten better but still feels as if it is struggling with fanbase expectations of the game being like the single player games and some of the design decisions made for immersion. They attempted to avoid a majority of the continuity by having the MMO pre-date the other games in the timeline.
Dragonquest transitioned into MMO territory with X. However like Final Fantasy each numbered entry was generally a separate story not really connected with the previous games with the exception of 4 where you find out at the end that you’re the hero of legend in the past that was talked about in the first game of the series.

If the Gearbox ever decided to try making the Borderlands franchise bridge into this territory I would recommend the hybrid model similar to the PSO series where the only real open areas were you can interact with large numbers of people at once were primarily non combat social hubs and the combat/exploration areas were instanced giving the people the option to play with teams or go solo. Or possibly like Destiny with open overworld but instanced for missions, quests, etc. However I’d want a much smoother transition into these things than the Destiny series offers

The main thing that would make or break this though personally is seeing that the quality of story and environment didn’t suffer. Player character personality will likely suffer on a transition to having players make their own character as opposed to using pre-mades like we have in the series currently as the personality of player created characters also has to come from the player and many stop at appearance.

I don’t foresee a successful transition with this franchise into full open world as an MMO as for starters it would leave too much potential aggravation caused by other players and it would probably just be too much of a change for established fans to swallow.

Ultimately it boils down to the situation the poster above you mentioned. Do we refine the existing formula or try bridging it into another scope or genre. Based on your response you side with the former while others want the latter. Both have their pros and cons in the long run and their own risks involved. Both have high potential of success however both also hinge on doing it the right way. The latter is just viewed by many as a higher risk due to staking out into new territory.

2 Likes

You must not be paying very close attention to all the trailers and footage, there’s ass-loads of new stuff.

1 Like

Great info !
A few things I did not notice, that’s what I was asking for.
I hope it will not become MMO too. I just want Co-op online. Maybe a co-op of six people…eh ?? yeah !
Thanks a lot.
Ciao

Personally hope they don’t stray too far from the previous games. If it ain’t broke, don’t try and fix it.

5 Likes

As for me i saw plenty to make me happy. Its the third installment of the series! That alone is first, then new enemies, other planets, new elements , and new characters with new abilities. This is my favorite series to date and it doesnt take much to make me happy. Keep an open mind and check out all the reveals we get, im sure you’ll be happy when Sep gets here.

It was 2K and 2K China and it was slated to be massively multiplayer and online.

It was started under 2K’s leadership, but the developer wasn’t 2K China, it was Shanda. It was essentially a mobile game (but you could play it on a PC), with no open world and no “massively multiplayer” aspect, just an open lobby where you could join with others to do instanced content. It was going to be for the Chinese market because the Western market simply wouldn’t have put up with the kind of game Shanda was making. The development time was way too short for a real MMO, being less than a couple of years. MMOs typically take longer than other games to complete, that in and of itself was a sign of its lack of quality.

It’s no wonder 2K shut it down. Really, the question is - why did they ever think it was a good idea, even for the Chinese market? It was never going to be a real MMO (there are many that aspire to that label but relatively few that deserve it), it was a half-assed attempt at a quick grab for the cash the Chinese mobile market can bring. It should not be used as evidence that the Borderlands universe could not be successfully developed into an MMO.

Fair enough. I still maintain that I don’t think it would work as Sirens would be practically nonexistent except for the occasional NPC and several other things. Also, they’d have to compete with games like WoW and FF. We know how that has turned out for a great many MMOs in the past.

I just feel that Borderlands shouldn’t go the route of the MMO or BR. However, I imagine we’ve derailed this topic pretty hard. Maybe we make a new topic in General Chat for discussion about a Borderlands MMO?

To bring this back on topic (sort of), I think one of the biggest challenges for the developers of a new Borderlands game is ensuring that whatever new thing is brought to the series retains the unique Borderlands flavour.

Tales is a complete genre shift, but still manages to feel like a Borderlands game because it combines a few familiar elements with new characters and a storyline that feels like it fits with that world. It was so good that Gearbox let TellTale make some decisions that had a pretty big impact on the main games.

I feel like there are a lot of decisions that could be made to make a new Borderlands game feel more in line with modern and popular games, but would by their nature take a lot of the personality out.

So changes can be good, but Borderlands has to retain a certain style in order to keep what makes it special, in my opinion.