Can my CPU run this game

My computer has ok specs except for my CPU, i have an AMD Phenom™ II X4 965. My computer can run The Pre-Sequel reasonably well, not great but perfectly playable. I would be happy to play on Low settings with less than 60 fps, as long as the game will work at all. Some new games explicitly disallow older processors even if they would be strong enough, I ran into this issue with Apex Legends.

Does anyone have any ideas? Anybody have a similar CPU?

• OS – Windows 7/8/10 (latest service pack)
  • Processor – AMD FX-8350 (Intel i5-3570)
  • Memory – 6GB RAM
  • Graphics card – AMD Radeon™ HD 7970 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB)
  • HDD – 75 GB

the 8350 is a 4ghz 8 core. the 965 is the same cpu i have in my sons pc (my old) i honestly feel it could run it, hopefully you dont have any issues like myself and others have had. i would wait till the game is for sure playable, past few nights have been nothing but frustration from crashes. almost to the point of giving up. if they fix the issue i will try downloading BL3 on my old pc. its 965 with 16 gigs of 1600mhz mem, 1050ti gpu. if they resolve the issue and i can actually play the game, i will let you know if it works on the older pc. btw i upgraded to a 2600 cpu and 3200mhz memory and a 1070, gaming is way way better. comparing the two playing forza.

Thanks for the input, I’ll keep watch of patch news to see how it turns out in the near future.

Well I got the game figuring that if it doesn’t work I can always refund it. I’m getting a stable 60fps on low settings, game is perfectly playable.

The funny thing is, gearbox support finally responded to my ticket asking the same question, and they said that my cpu will not run borderlands 3, but here it is running the game perfectly fine, so if anyone else has the same cpu it will work, regardless of what gearbox tells you.

1 Like

Honestly, I wouldn’t have expected the game to run on your CPU, either, as the minimum lists an AMD FX CPU, which has SSE4.1 support. The Phenom II CPUs do not use SSE4.1, the most those can do is SSE4a.

Why that’s important: There’s been plenty of games released on PC since the current console-generation which outright refuse to start on Phenom IIs due to the missing SSE4.1 instructions, as those are used in the modern consoles and most game-devs focus on using as many instructions as possible for the best results.

However, I guess the Unreal Engine 4 has been made without a requirement to use SSE4.1 due to Epic wanting to cover as many hardware-setups as possible for things like Fortnite. There’s still plenty of kids with older PCs and older CPUs, after all.

nice, i was going to reply because i recently put bl3 on my sons computer and it is running fine on low settings. he has slight stutter if theres a lot going on but otherwise no crashes. 965 @ 3.7, 16 gigs ram, 1050ti

Just FYI.

Im running the game on Xeon 3440@3.3GHz (+RTX 2070S) . It’s working but FPS fluctuations are huge. The funny thing is that CPU usage is between 30-60% (never reached 80%) but FPS dips are horrible in some areas (drops to 30FPS). Not sure if this is due to denuvo VM preventing 100% CPU usage or other trickery… . So seems that game do not require AVX CPU extension but performance is a mixed bag.

For systems with poor CPU and strong gfx card, DX12 is faster (but uses more memory + super slow startup).