Can you please make captured ships turn yelllow?

I can’t begin to count how many times in HW1 remastered that I have a captured ship heading back to the mothership and my other ships blow the captured ship up. This could easily be avoided if you changed the color of any ship that is salvaged and heading back to the mothership to yellow. It clearly states in the tutorial that this is what allied ships are basically for yet why this was not done for captured/salvaged ships I have no idea.

Original hw behaviour wasn’t like this that I remember. Ships should just avoid the object alltogether.

I wouldn’t like paint changes…as matter of fact I would like to keep my prey’s color :stuck_out_tongue: (and those sneaky colors could make ffa waaaay more interesting).

1 Like

He meant the sensor manager color not the shipscolor… As for repaints of capped ships I like that. Cataclysm first introduced that…

3 Likes

Unfortunately, changing the color of the TO probably won’t change ship behavior, the two aren’t really connected

1 Like

Well he probably simplified it maybe unsure of how to explain it… In essence what he meant was that the entity changes it’s definition to neutral for as long as salvage corvettes or marine frigates are latched onto it… It was somewhat the same behavior in hw1.

And since the unit would have joined the neutral faction you could still fire upon it but only per direct order or a bad dragged attack box.

And in case it gets freed and not successfully captured it would rejoin it’s former faction…
I would actually prefer a game logic like that condering how fragile everything is and dies.

5 Likes

In Classic, ships stayed the same colour as they were when captured. There was a notable exception to this, which was Mission 15 (Chapel Perilous) where any ships captured in the previous mission would turn orange (or some other colour) for no reason, but it reverted back, so there might have been weird mechanics involved there.

But yes, I don’t want ships changing to match my fleet’s colours, it makes it much clearer the ship is not from my fleet but from that of an enemy. The only thing that should change is the variable that determines if it’s an enemy vessel or not.

1 Like

The OP isn’t talking about aexthetics. He’s talking about how your ships don’t stop attacking ships that are being pushed by your salvage corvettes. This has to be a bug.

The thread title says one thing, with the post saying another. That bug is already known, it’s probably because the ship has not been set to a state which makes it non-attackable. It’s difficult because HW2’s engine uses Marine Frigates to capture ships, which can still be attacked until the capture is complete.

The only way I could see it working is if the system borrowed HW: Cataclysm’s method of capturing capital ships: this method involved Workers simply pulling the ship to the Command Ship and then dumping them in front of it and then converting on the spot. But other than that, I don’t see many solutions due to HW2’s ship capturing AI.

Sorry I have not been to these forums lately. I was talking about in the tutorial not sure if it was classic tutorial or HW remastered tutorial they explained that there were three colors for ships in sensor mode. Green for your fleet ships, Yellow for allied ships, and Red for enemy ships.

So if your Corvette salvage team has latched on to say a Heavy Cruiser and they are pushing it back to the mothership so it can become part of your fleet, I was thinking they could change the ship to be yellow on sensor map so that your ships quit firing on it. In the mission where that captain of the Taiidan destroyer defects, his ship is yellow, and none of your ships fire on it so why can’t salvaged ships turn yellow then turn green once they dock with the mothership?

Seems like it was intended but not implemented to have this in the game. Also if for some reason on the way back one or more of the six that are pushing the heavy cruiser back to the mothership unlatch or get blown up, then of course the Heavy cruiser would turn back to red and start destroying the rest of the salvage team. However as long as it is under control of the salvage corvettes it should be a ally (yellow) and thus not a target for your regular fleet unless you order them to attack it.

A ship ‘in the process of capture’ is not yet allied - indeed I think you can actually nuke the capture units and it will revert to the proper controlling player. We had this debate quite a bit in-house during late dev… I don’t recall all of the arguments, only that it’s the way it is because that’s what was finally decided. It’s not a ‘bug’ in that regard.

2 Likes

I don’t think anybody necessarily has an issue with the fact that captured ships show up as “red” on the map - it’s the fact that your other ships will auto-attack inbound captured ships unless you micromanage the hell out of them. Regardless of what aggression setting you have activated for your fleet, they will go after your salvage if you don’t move them far away.

1 Like

):[quote=“BitVenom, post:10, topic:263155, full:true”]
A ship ‘in the process of capture’ is not yet allied - indeed I think you can actually nuke the capture units and it will revert to the proper controlling player. We had this debate quite a bit in-house during late dev… I don’t recall all of the arguments, only that it’s the way it is because that’s what was finally decided. It’s not a ‘bug’ in that regard.
[/quote]

@BitVenom

Ok then how else would you make your own ships not fire at a ship that is under your control and being pushed back to the mothership? I suggested the only real fix that the game has, and that would be to make them turn yellow because then they are not considered a target by any of your ships.

So unless you have another way to do this I think it is about time you all reconsider and turn them yellow. As I said if the salvage corvettes loose control of the captured ship then just have it return to red, it would be a simple fix for a rather ridiculous problem, especially when you see your guys blast a ship that is literally going INTO the hold…it is half inside the mothership and the fools are still shooting at it

1 Like

It is an old disease of the classic game Homeworld2.
Very often captured and already disabled ship (if capture progress > 50%) can be destroyed by the allies, because the AI does not understand this and often prevent itself do capture of enemy ships!
This is sad…
I reported about this problem that exists in classical Homeworld2 long before the release of HWRs. It was on the old forum, but then GBX didn’t want to listen to me.