Can't play with crossplay friends

I am trying to play with friends on Epic and Steam, however, Shift does not appear to be working as no Shift friends are shown as online so we can’t crossplay. We play regularly and have never had this issue before, is Shift down? Is anyone else having this problem?

UPDATE: Removing and re-adding them as Shift friends fixes this error however, if either person closes the game, you must delete and re-add them every single time. Steam support told me they collected enough info to pass onto the dev team, so hopefully we see a fix soon.

2 Likes

I am having this exact issue, i am on epic they are on steam, we play together only (never public etc) and can’t seem to see one another and this has never happened before so I give up tonight.

2 Likes

im having a similar issue, im epic, they are steam. but it does not show either of us as online. we have been searching for a solution. we are very obiously online since were in a chat. but cant seem to connect to the shift servers.

1 Like

I opened a ticket with Gearbox and was told to unlink and relink my Epic account. Not sure if it will work, friends are off for the night already so can’t test it myself but y’all should.

1 Like

i apreciate the notice. i will definitely try that

keep us updated, same issue as @angstyhorse here all of my friends went offline

Same here, my 2 friends are on Epic and I’m on steam and we can’t see any of us connected in SHIFT, so we can’t play together. So much for the night he!

I followed Gearbox support’s advice and we all unlinked and then relinked our game platforms, however it was to no avail. We tested it and it didn’t work for us. Support hasn’t responded to my last email yet. I don’t know if it is fixed, this is the only place I’ve seen others have the same issue.

1 Like

Just wanted to update y’all that I found a thread on Reddit, they said deleting each other as Shift friends and then readding worked for them. My friends are all unavailable currently so I can’t test it just yet but wanted to let you all know this is probably the fix!

1 Like

i am having the same issue. It is so frustrating. I am on epic and they are steam. It worked till today.

Yes same problem. Everything was fine then couldn’t see anyone online last night.

I just tested it and we were able to finally get in game doing this.

2 Likes

Yes works.
Both sides have to delete and one side re-invite - which can took 3-5 mins from when I sent my reinvite(s), till when my bro’s received it on their steam side while in the Social menu in B3

1 Like

And now its broken all over again…

This better be a side effect of them making Cross-Play for Xbox and PS5 !!!

Same here. But I found a workaround. You can invite your friends via Discord (“Game activity” has to be enabled, I think).
Make a private group/chat with your friends, start the game. “Borderlands 3” should appear in the lower left corner, above your username. And now, there is a little green “play button” in the text box where the “+” is, click on it, click “Invite name of the group/username to play Borderlands 3”, done.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I can confirm also that removing/re-adding friends is working for me. However, the problem is still going. When I put in a ticket, they just told me to verify my files and look into other possible problems on my end. The thing is, it’s not a problem with our computers. It’s a problem with their system that they need to fix.

1 Like

I am also having this issue. I am on Epic, my friend is on Steam. I can confirm that removing and adding is a workaround. The first night we played the new DLC was flawless. After the 2nd session, we experienced the same issue.

2 Likes

Same problem, my copy is EPIC and his is steam. Removing as shift friend and re adding works. Also, on my friends steam version, he says when he first starts the game and gets to the “signing in as” that it produces an error. Maybe a steam issue?

1 Like

Same here, my 2 friends are in epic, and i am in steam. we are all signed in to our shift accounts and none of us can see one another. we can remove and add shift friends back, but that only last for one session…?