Cataclysm as DLC?

The discussion about Cataclysm is going on old forums, but I didn’t see a dedicated topic here, so I decided to make one for visibility.

I know a lot of people dislike this game and don’t consider it true Homeworld, but IMO it would be fantastic to get its remastered version as a DLC. I really liked the gameplay, new ships and overall feel of this game.

I know about the source code possibly being lost, but I’d like to hear an official Gearbox statement on Cataclysm.

Cataclysm was made by Barking Dog Studios, not Relic. So Gearbox didn’t acquire it from the THQ auction because THQ never owned it. Very likely you’ll never see a remastered Homeworld: Cataclysm, my friend.

It’s not quite clear who owns Cataclysm now, but there’s a high chance it’s Gearbox.

Imgur link

Cataclysm trademark is dead, because it’s being used by Blizzard now (WoW: Cataclysm). But its last owner was, in fact, THQ. I think Gearbox may own Cataclysm, but I’m no lawyer and I don’t know anything for sure, that’s why I’d love an official statement from Gearbox.

Barking Dog made Cata, but they almost certainly didn’t own Cata. That would have been Sierra, as part of the general Homeworld IP rights. That was bought by THQ, and then by Gearbox. The trademark to the name is now held by Blizzard, but that’s a separate issue, as is the loss of the source files.

There is at this moment no chance that Gearbox owns Cata it was developed by Barking Dog now Rockstar Games and was produced and distributed by Sierra. THQ owned it but I think someone lost the Source Code and the needful stuff long ago. Alex Garden only got a ‘thanks’ in the credits of it, that being the guy who came up with it (HW) in the first place.

If THQ owned it, then right now it belongs to Gearbox or no one at all. It doesn’t matter who bought out Barking Dog.

The source code is a whole other issue.

Please Gearbox make it happen…we want a Remastered Cata.
I would pay a triple A price for this ^^

Just so everyone is clear, two things:

1. Geatbox owns the rights to release Homeworld: Cataclysm as they please.
  2. They don’t have the source code right now, so they can’t release anything.

Hi everyone!
And to move more information from the old forums over here:

1. Barking Dog is now Kerberos.
  2. According to an inside source from Kerberos, “all music and sound assets (VO, dialogue, etc.) are still archived at Studio X Labs,[…] at best quality – theoretically the base Cataclysm, using just a retail copy, could have its sound up-scaled, since it’s no longer constrained to a CD.”

Source:

I second that!! Cata was awesome!