Changing Ion Beam Color

(Gilgamesh286) #1

I’ve made some progress in figuring this out myself but art and fx are my weak points so I was hoping for some guidance. I’ve dug up at least some of the related files but I can’t see a way to easily or correctly edit them to get the desired result. It seems like this should be a fairly simple process with the correct tools and knowledge but I don’t think I have either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #2

Calling @radar3301, fx guru…

(ajlsunrise) #3

I have some files with modified beam colors. I’m on vacation today, and not at home. I will be back tomorrow though.

(Gilgamesh286) #4

Might you be willing to share those?

(ajlsunrise) #5

If you want a specific color other than those I have in there, just let me know. I actually have quite a few different versions…

As a note, if you want to use one of these ion beams, modify the 4th argument of StartWeaponConfig in the .wepn file (i.e. change IonBeam to IonBeam_magenta).

(Gilgamesh286) #6

Thank you very much. I’ve unpacked all the big files I need but I’m not sure which folders need to be moved. I previously successfully moved and modified the ship files but that is just one folder. For the ions I assume I need [weapons] [art], and [scripts]. Are there any others? And do I put them in the data folder like the ship folder?

(ajlsunrise) #7

Everything in the zip file gets put into the data folder, maintaing the directory structure already in the archive.

To modify the ion cannon frigate, for example, create a folder in data called weapon, then copy the unpackaged big folder weapon/hgn_ionbeam with all contents into your data directory.
Then either rename the folder and files to hgn_ionbeam_green and do the edit above, or just do the edit above.
If you decide to rename the weapon, you’ll need the hgn_ioncannon ship file, and look for a line called startshipweaponconfig. Then youll have to edit that line with the name of the edited weapon.

Full disclosure: I’m typing this from my phone, and I may have a couple of the names slightly off, but I think you can figure it out. You said you were already editing ship files.

(Gilgamesh286) #8

Alright, the ship files point to hgn_ioncannon and hgn_ionturret, both of which I changed to look at Ion_Beam_purple. I then created a weapon folder and also scripts and art because those were in the zip you posted. I moved the corresponding folders and files for purple ion beams to the appropriate places. The game loads and runs, but when an ion beam is fired the game crashes. I originally only moved the folders and the game ran but had no beam effects, it only began crashing when I move the other fx files. What am I missing?

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #9

Anything in the log file?

EDIT:

Add -luatrace to the command shortcut to get lua debugging on the log file.

(Gilgamesh286) #10

The only thing I see is
Missing texture (DATA:/ART/FX/ION_BEAM_purple/ION_WARP_TP_purple.TGA) referenced in animated texture (DATA:ART/FX/ION_BEAM_purple/ION_BEAM_purple.ANIM) – FATAL EXIT – textureanim/351:! --stack trace–

the file with that name is a .dds file

(ajlsunrise) #11

Dang it. I was afraid of that. I will fix.

(ajlsunrise) #12

Somewhere along the line, I broke the Attractor/firing FX… I’m working on fixing it.

(Gilgamesh286) #13

Thanks for the update, I really appreciate your efforts!

(Rufus Shinra) #14

Actually, I had to do it myself for the most stupid mod to have ever been released for HWRM:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1439207460

Long story short? A pastel pony shooting rainbow lasers from her eyes (blame a boring day at work chatting with one of the lads from the Stargate mod). For whoever wants to see how to make different colour of ion beams, you can grab and extract the files in the mod. It’s in the art\fx\ folder, you can compare the different files for the different colours, or simply grab what you want/need to get multicoloured death.

I know I should regret something, but I just can’t. The comments on the page are also highly amusing to read.

(ajlsunrise) #15

Well the fire FX are still broken… but here you go:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1435716962

(Rufus Shinra) #16

Heh, nice. I’ll keep that one on a shortcut to analyze the effects. Thanks!

(Hero Crafter 1987 (Homeworld Universal Conquest Mod)) #17

Couldn’t you just convert the dds into a tga?

(GOLIATH Mod) #18

It would be totally cool if we could make the ion beams be based on the player’s color.

(Taiidan Republic Mod) #19

That sounds like a job for @Dwarfinator

(ajlsunrise) #20

lol, the comments on the file… I had to update the description…