Character is gone

Hello, I have lost my character. Me, my father, and my brother play under the same account (Epic Games Account) but different computers. I went to get on not even 20 minutes ago, and my character has disappeared only to see my brothers character.

Update: My father has also said he lost his character aswell. I’m extremely confused since our characters were fine. Does this have something to do with cloud save or is it another issue?

6 Likes

Exactly the same thing happened to me and I was level 15 but I played on my laptop and made a new character when I went back to PC it gave me an option to use cloud save or local files, I think I selected cloud save then poof it was gone !!!

Yeah I noticed every time I log onto my laptop it deletes whatever character I made on my main PC.

looks like they brought in Cloud Sync in the update yesterday, so your character was called 1.sav, in the folder, problem with that is the most recent one played overwrites the other. only way to fix this is to make them all on one computer before loading up on another now. Or going into the saved files and renaming them to 2.sav, 3.sav and so on. So anyone who played on multiple machines like myself lost at least 1 character. And you cant restore previous versions of the folder, I’ve tried, so they’re gone for good. Save files should’ve been added and renamed not replaced… just bad programming on their part . GG I guess…

Having the same issue. I am contacting Epic see if there is anything they can do. I had backed up my save file under the AppData folder, maybe they can restore it. If not I am going to ask for a refund, EPIC game launcher is so bad! Lost my data for another game because of their save to the cloud option.

1 Like

Same thing here on my wife’s account. Pop up asking to enable cloud backup, she said no and poof back to level one. No way to get the data back. Looking at the settings, selecting no on epic’s cloud backup did not do anything because it’s still enabled. I’d rather drop frames than lose save data. Just opened a ticket with epic. Ticket #18175406

I also lost a character today

1 Like

Anyone from Boarderlands 3 team? We don’t want to put time in if we keep losing characters.

3 Likes

I also lost my character just now after the game crashed.

1 Like

I could recover my save by going to “C:\Users\YOURWINDOWSUSERNAME\Documents\My Games\Borderlands 3\Saved\SaveGames” and removing 1.sav and renaming the 1.sav.something.TMP. to 1.sav.

Just make sure to backup the folder before doing any changes.

4 Likes

hate to tell yall. ive lost 3 characters so far. epic simply blew me off saying there was nothing they could do.

1 Like

very epic, epic games… i redeemed codes and had like 4 legendaires now my char is gone

1 Like

Just lost my character as well after game crashed… level 30. Done playing for now - don’t want to spend time building characters for the game to crash and lose everything. Very sad :frowning:

1 Like

This just happened to me and my brother and we’ve poured 17 hours into the game. We didn’t log into another PC. :frowning:

2 Likes

Happend to me too. Started a new Charakter so far so good but I’m scared as hell if something lags.

1 Like

Happened to me had one level 3 Moze and a level 24 FL4K with 41 hours played two world drop legendaries and almost beat the game on normal sad i have to restart all that now i guess.

3 Likes

The only thing I can recommend based on all these thread - Turn off cloud saves for the game ASAP!

I have cloud saves off entirely and have been making a copy of my local saves folder every few levels. I really feel like the cloud save system is not mature enough in epic’s launcher to be trusted right now, and definitely is not viable if you have multiple PC’s on one account.

1 Like

Got a reply from Epic games saying it is not their problem. They told me to open a ticket with gearbox.

1 Like

Below is a response from Epic

1 Like

Epic is passing the buck, they told my Wife to open a ticket with 2K. It was Epic’s launcher’s cloud service that f’d her character.

So there is three players here, gearbox, 2k and epic. What company do we open support tickets with, and why hasn’t gearbox chimed in to point us in the right direction?

What I would do is use “local save” and just manually backup your save file.

4 Likes