Completely shuts down my PC

I have upgraded every driver I can think of and used the tips and tricks in forums.

1. NVIDIA power settings, set to maximum performance
  2. Disable on board GPU for my I7 3770K, disabled in the BIOS.
  3. Run the .exe as administrator, with out Steam.
  4. Un-installed and re-installed 3 times.
  5. Verified the game cache in Steam, no problems.

…nothing works the whole computer just shuts down.

I raised a support ticket, but feel incredibly disappointed that this happens.

i7 3770, GPU 680, 16gb ram, Windows 7 64bit.

Any help or fixes would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

It is possible your computer is shutting down due to heat to protect itself. All modern PC’s have that functionality built into their motherboards. Could you check what the temperature is when your computer shuts down through a temperature logging utility?

Hope you get it sorted.

Thank you for the reply, but my PC is built for games and has an airflow system built into the Cooler master Cosmos full tower with extra fans that can handle many hours of gaming, I also have a Zalman flower on my CPU.
No other game does this to my PC.

I actually get the game to load to the menu and it mostly crashes if I press the “options” button.

I have had it start a game but it randomly shuts my PC down.

Does it actually say “computer shutting down” or does it just go black? Have a look at the log file HWRM.log

The only time I’ve ever had a case where my computer this turns off without any notice at all is when my MB was trying to over-clock my cpu automatically and my pc would bluescreen and shut down to protect itself.

It actually just powers off, like the electricity is turned and restarts.

I tried again last night and same result.

No log files exist in the Homeworld folder it is empty.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\Bin\LOGFILES

I really have never known anything like it before.

The only time I had something like that happen was down to too much draw on a failing PSU. Seems strange it only occurs with Homeworld though :confused:

what other games/programs have you got on your system, anything quite power demanding ?

I really can’t think of any reason our game would cause this - at least not directly. Could we somehow ‘trigger’ it? I suppose so. I can’t see how - but this is a PC, and PCs do what PCs do. You are the first person I’ve ever heard who’s having this issue. If it crashes just going to Options… yeah - there’s nothing magical in there, just some UI loading code and a bit of config logic; it shouldn’t cause anything to happen, let alone a shut-down. Wow.

Does windows event viewer show anything?

In the startup and recovery option in computer properties do you have it set to automatically restart on system failure and do you have it set to write a log file?

I have over 200 games in my Steam library, I ran Wolfenstein: New order for 5 hours no problems, Far cry 3 almost maxed no shutdowns, Rome 2 close to max settings 9 hours.
These are just a few that give no problem to my system, because this is so unique I think it is only related to Homeworld remastered.

Thank you for responding, I thought I would try the other Homeworld versions and they load the titles and get to the main menu, when I move my mouse to any menu option…complete restart.

1 of the other posters (Nebula1701) mentioned windows event viewer and it has a log…

“The Windows Management Instrumentation service has detected an inconsistent system shutdown.”

That is all I have no other files show how or why.

Here is the only HWRM file I could find and it shows 2 failures.

"Failed to Load Archive ‘…\DATAUPDATES\UpdateHWBackgrounds.big’
UTIL – filepath failure, path doesn’t exists ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\data\locale\English’ "

" Failed to Load Archive ‘…\DATAUPDATES\UpdateEnglishHW2Campaign.big’ !"

Tue May 05 01:06:32 2015
Version 1.24, Build Number 16, Changelist Number 1022034
Loaded Archive: ‘Homeworld2.big’
Loaded Archive: ‘UpdateHomeworld2.big’
Loaded Archive: ‘HW1Ships.big’
Loaded Archive: ‘UpdateHW1Ships.big’
Loaded Archive: ‘HW2Ships.big’
Loaded Archive: ‘UpdateHW2Ships.big’
Loaded Archive: ‘HWBackgrounds.big’
Failed to Load Archive ‘…\DATAUPDATES\UpdateHWBackgrounds.big’
UTIL – filepath failure, path doesn’t exists ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\data\locale\English’
Loaded Archive: ‘English.big’
Loaded Archive: ‘UpdateEnglish.big’
Loaded Archive: ‘Compatibility.big’
Loaded Archive: ‘C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\HOMEWORLD\HOMEWORLDRM\DATA\HW2Campaign.big’
Loaded DLC Campaign Archive: ‘C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\HOMEWORLD\HOMEWORLDRM\DATA\HW2Campaign.big’
Loaded Archive: ‘UpdateHW2Campaign.big’
Loaded Archive: ‘C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\HOMEWORLD\HOMEWORLDRM\DATA\EnglishHW2Campaign.big’
Loaded DLC Campaign Localized Data Archive: ‘C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\HOMEWORLD\HOMEWORLDRM\DATA\EnglishHW2Campaign.big’
Failed to Load Archive ‘…\DATAUPDATES\UpdateEnglishHW2Campaign.big’
Loaded Archive: ‘C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\HOMEWORLD\HOMEWORLDRM\DATA\EnglishSpeechHW2Campaign.big’
Loaded DLC Campaign Speech Archive: ‘C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\HOMEWORLD\HOMEWORLDRM\DATA\EnglishSpeechHW2Campaign.big’
Loaded Archive: ‘UpdateEnglishSpeechHW2Campaign.big’
Loaded Archive: ‘C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\HOMEWORLD\HOMEWORLDRM\DATA\MusicHW2Campaign.big’
Loaded DLC Campaign Music Archive: ‘C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\STEAM\STEAMAPPS\COMMON\HOMEWORLD\HOMEWORLDRM\DATA\MusicHW2Campaign.big’
Failed to Load Archive ‘…\DATAUPDATES\UpdateMusicHW2Campaign.big’
Uing …profiles\ for profiles folder
GAME – Using player profile repent
Changing from a 32 bit colour depth in winNT (6.1 build 7601), Service Pack 1
Display: (0, 0, 1680, 1050) - (8, 30)
Display: (0, 0, 1680, 1050) - (8, 30)
GL Info: 3.3 - 3.3.0 NVIDIA 350.12
GL Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GL Renderer: GeForce GTX 680/PCIe/SSE2
GL Part ID: 680
GL Part EX: /PCIe/SSE2
Loaded Archive: ‘EnglishSpeech.big’
Loaded Archive: ‘Music.big’
SOUND – created destination [ fdaudio ], handle [ 4 ] with [ 48 ] channels created
SOUND – created destination [ fda streamer ], handle [ 5 ] with [ 8 ] channels created
SOUND – created destination [ dxa streamer ], handle [ 0 ] with [ 8 ] channels created
SOUND – created destination [ dxaudio ], handle [ 1 ] with [ 48 ] channels created
Build name:
Built by : builduser
Data path : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\HomeworldRM\data
No mapping for font ‘Blender’ - using ‘default’
Resetting fp PC control word.
CmdLine: -dlccampaign HW2Campaign.big -campaign Ascension -moviepath DataHW2Campaign

Thank you it says
“The Windows Management Instrumentation service has detected an inconsistent system shutdown.”
“The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.”

Both of these are very ambiguous in there explanation, maybe the Homeworld file with 2 errors is a better place to look.

Dave E from Gearbox has contacted so I have given a fuller answer with a Homeworld text file showing errors.

If it’s having trouble loading HW files then maybe try verifying the integrity of the game cache via steam or perhaps just a clean reinstall of HW if you have the bandwidth?

Edit to my previous post, both of the classic versions work, only the re-mastered versions cause system restarts.

My guess at this point is that it is audio related. Because when you mouse-over something you’re going to generate a small sound - which may just be triggering the nuke. No idea, at all, why. I’d need to debug on your machine :frowning:

If you disable all audio, you may be able to rule that out (or validate my concern)…

Do this with the LAUNCHER open - don’t launch the game, but have the launcher open when you do this (so that the profile isn’t overwritten from Steam Cloud)…

So - head to your ‘Profiles’ folder (under bin? I’m not looking at a Steam install on my end) - then find your main profile (Profile1?) - open PLAYERCFG.LUA

Find the section that starts with ‘AudioOptions’ - and then for any of the options that ends with Volume - set it to zero.

After all of the ‘Volume’ options are zero (music/speech/ui/sfx) - save the file, and open the game. Does mouse-overing the menu still crash?

I followed your instructions exactly, selected Home world 1 re-mastered, splash screen loaded with no sound, moused over the all the menus no sounds, clicked the options menu button and total system restart :frowning:

Sounds setup as instructed…

AudioOptions = {
musicVolume = 0,
sfxChannels = 16,
speechVolume = 0,
uiVolume = 0,
sfxVolume = 0,
soundQuality = 1,
voiceFrequency = 0.70000,
enableSelectionSpeech = 1,
enableBattleChatter = 1,

That is so weird, I can only think about your os health. Anyway that is why I format my machine every year, it is annoying but avoid a lot of unknown bugs.

I do have a brand new hard drive and I could try a fresh install but with already close to 2tb of steam games on my current hard drive it seems like an extreme approach for 1 or 2 re-mastered games.

Really from a learning and inquisitive point of view I would like to understand the cause and effect but without professional help, such as that provided by Dave E. GBX programmer I am little bit lost as to the cause.

So before we zeroed your audio levels, you would crash when you simply moved your mouse over an option, before you clicked? Or what you have now is the same as it was before? I also really want to understand what’s happening on your machine - but to be blunt this is some 1-605-555-2368 (Who you gonna call?) ish. The next patch is coming quite soon - maybe we’ll see some sort of change in behavior?