Config settings for outlines, cell shading, and HDR

In previous borderlands games, you could change a line in the config.ini file to remove the outline and/or cell shading effects. Does anyone know if there’s a way to do it in BL3?

Also, the option to enable HDR only shows up when windows 10 has HDR desktop mode enabled. I prefer to have this turned off. In other games it will toggle to HDR mode on launch and then revert on exit. Is there a way to do that for BL3?

Thanks!

1 Like

With BL3, for whatever reason, none of the usual ini files Unreal Engine supplies has any entries, they seem to favor saving some settings in Documents/My Games/Borderlands 3/Saved/SaveGames/<some id>/profile.sav, however this file is encoded in binary?

The only other file I’ve found with any settings is Documents/My Games/Borderlands 3/Saved/Config/WindowsNoEditor/GameUserSettings.ini, but all entries seem to be what’s available through the ingame options screen.

So for the time being, I don’t think you can do anything.

Wondering the same thing! GAME LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER ON PC HI RES WITH BLACK OUTLINES REMOVED! It looks awesome without the outlines.
Please if someone finds way to do it! I have briefly poked around but haven’t got it .

People have no idea how much better it looks on PC with the black outlines removed. Looks incredible actually.
Someone please!

It’s entirely personal taste, but I completely agree that it looks better w/o the outlines. I’ve been poking around for awhile, but the structure seems completely different than BL2 and I haven’t found anything.

If anyone figures this out, please post.

Definitely!

didnt even know the game supported HDR on PC. the setting doesnt even show up unless windows is set to HDR. Forza does the same crap. i did try it and while it looks great, for whatever reason with it on, it would keep randomly minimizing the game back to desktop. it was way to often to keep it enabled and try to play in HDR so back to good old SDR. shame, really. other games can manage it fine and dont give me any grief.

Bumping this topic due to importance for pc players

Does anyone know how to disable HDR in game? My monitor doesn’t have the best HDR implementation and I would prefer to play without it. Thanks!

You can either turn it off at the desktop (Right click on desktop, display settings, Play HDR games and apps toggle), or you can go into display calibration in the game settings and there will be a toggle for it, assuming it is turned on at desktop

So i have it disabled in windows, but it turns on when the game starts. No option in game to disable :frowning:

Edit: So I enabled it in windows and the option appeared in game. It looks much better when its enabled properly this way. But there is some weird error on my configuration where my monitor is kicking on HDR even when it is disabled.

Anyone figure a way to remove the black outlines as we could in BL1 and 2?

I found a way to almost completely remove the outlines. I can’t take credit for it though as I found it on a reddit post from mikegold10

Go to C:\users{your_username}\Documents\My Games\Borderlands 3\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings.ini

find a line that says EdgeDetectionTexelOffset and change it’s value from -1.0000 to a value between 1.25 and 1.99

the author of the post says 1.99 works best for him but I found 1.3 to work well on my setup

This only reduces the outline though, it doesn’t have any effect on the cell shading or whatever the cartoony texture effect is called.

If anyone know how to apply the more realistic shader effect please let us know. In previous borderlands games it was applied by editing the WillowEngine.ini file and changing the line DefaultPostProcessName=WillowEngineMaterials.WillowScenePostProcess to DefaultPostProcessName=WillowEngineMaterials.RyanScenePostProcess

2 Likes

Jacoro1, this worked great! 1.3 (remove the “-” in the file) looks fantastic and almost completely removes the black outline. Many thanks for posting!

1 Like

Careful with that file - there’s a chance it contains things like your bank contents, heads and skins unlocks, etc.

I can’t seem to see any effect, unless I increase it to a huge value and then I can see thick black outlines.

Did you remember to remove the “-” from the value? It needs to be positive. There will still be black lines in some places, but the difference should be easily discernable. Hopefully someone will figure out how to change the postprocess effect like in previous games to remove them completely.

That works but we still need to figure out the cell shading. Honestly, it’s not that big of a deal compared to BL2 because the engine is gorgeous this time around, but I’m curious to see the difference.

Yeah I tried various values from -10 to 10, and really only noticed thicker lines less than -2 and greater than 2. My default lines don’t look like in the comparison screenshot I found either, I think mine are pretty thin already.

Regarding the cell-shading, there is no cell-shading. The lines that Prof_Spank_it refer to, are actually hand-drawn textures.

Cel shading or not, the effect looks the same as in previous games where it could be removed by changing the postprocess name. I would hope it is possible in 3 as well.