Content comparison BL2-BL3

So by the time the next DLC comes out for BL3 we will be an entire DLC behind in comparison to BL2 at the same point in its life cycle. I.E. Every season pass addition was already finished in addition to 2 entire new characters. That is a wealth of content. IMHO limited time events I can’t even do anymore and 2 takedowns are not comparable substitutes for the quality AND quantity BL2 had. Even still if Bloody Harvest and Cartel stayed in the game we’d still have VASTLY less things to do.

4 Likes

My biggest complaint is lack of “raid bosses”.

With 2 paid DLC’s down, we had Terramorphous, Vermivorous, Hyperius, Master Gee and Hyperius in BL2. We have Wotan and Eista(what a joke), in BL3.

3 Likes

Sums up most of this dumpster fire really

1 Like

I’ve pointed this out before, but a huge difference between BL2 and BL3 is that in BL2 the first three DLCs were all out-sourced to other studios. That means work could be started on each with significant overlap. With BL3, GBX is doing all the content internally - GBX Quebec has done the first two DLCs. The upshot is that DLC can’t be released on the same cadence as it was in BL2.

You could argue either way if this is a good or bad thing. Certainly, there were plenty of opinions that some of the BL2 DLCs would have been better if they’d been made by GBX - as with pretty much everything Borderlands-related, opinion was pretty divided when it came to rating them (although the majority favour DLC4, which is the only one done entirely by GBX themselves).

Tl;dr - it seems a bit unfair to compare how much content has been released on a calendar basis between the two games without taking this difference into account.

10 Likes

Not to discredit the studios behind most of BL2’s dlcs- i think they did a pretty good job. That said, content being produced in-house is definitely going to take longer since they’re the only dudes doing it. And its worth it too- imo these DLCs feel so much more polished than any of BL2’s DLCs because of that focus. I’d be happy to wait if it means we get more content at that level of quality.

My only qualm is lack of replayable content but they’ve said in the April Borderlands show that its definitely something they’d make if people wanted it. I hope they eventually do it because man, they’ve been knocking it out of the park with these campaigns. I want more reasons to go back. If they just added that stuff, they’d be perfect easily.

2 Likes

Hyperius was so nice that he was listed twice. :wink: I think you forgot or meant Voracidous. :slight_smile: And the Ancient Dragons of Destruction!

I would love for them to add raid bosses, but I’m also very happy with the Takedowns and hope they continue to add those. I almost expect a CoV one after DLC 3, and I hope they will consider making a Hyperion-themed and Occultist-themed Takedown as well.

3 Likes

Isn’t there another glaring difference with what’s happening this year in the world compared to this time in bl2s release :thinking:

4 Likes

Ya caught me, not editing it out now haha!

I was just counting vanilla game and 2 full DLC’s to be consistent with this games progress. There was also Dexiduous in Big Game Hunt.

1 Like

I wonder how long companies will use Covid as an excuse when they shouldn’t. I alsxo wonder how long people will suggest it as an excuse.

2 Likes

As long as it’s a legitimate reason (which it is). It’s actually incredible to me how productive they’ve been despite the circumstances.

wotan for me is not a raid boss, it is an equivalent of omg for me.

3 Likes

Are we really including Master Gee as good content now?

As someone who mostly played solo, I was never that big of a fan of raid bosses. I don’t hate them. It was pretty cool to see how many I could solo as Krieg. But after I killed one, I rarely went back to revisit them.

2 Likes

So it’s unfair to compare because they were smarter with how they approached BL2’s additional content to meet customer needs? I think it’s pretty fair to compare any game within the same franchise you spent your hard earned money on TBH. It’s not outside the realm to have high expectations when Gearbox themselves said that BL3 would have MORE everything compared to BL2 and they would use all the lessons they learned to improve the formula. You can’t go making LOFTY promises and then be surprised when people with long memories call you out on it. BL2 DLC has been at the very least on par with anything BL3 has offered thus far IMHO, but it just added MORE on top of that equal quality as far as I’m concerned. Also having literally just this week replayed BL2’s main story and season one content with a fresh character it’s not like I’m looking through nostalgia goggles either.

3 Likes

so basically by outsourcing we got better content than what we are getting from Gearbox itself.

Well it seems they need to outsource more if they cannot deliver a good end game

3 Likes

Comparing Wotan to Dexi and Gee is no contest lmao…

i find myself coming back to wotan just because of how fun the fight is.

1 Like

‘Better’ is highly subjective. For every DLC in both games, you’ll find plenty of opinions on that. Personally, I find both BL3 DLCs top-notch. But then I also think Hammerlock’s Hunt (BL2 DLC3) is great which doesn’t seem to be a popular opinion, so maybe I’m just an outlier.

The relative quality of the different DLCs is a subjective value judgement. If some think they weren’t as good as any of the BL2 DLCs, fair enough. But there are quite obviously plenty who feel otherwise.

My point is, the only real difference between out-sourced and in-house is how frequently you can release the content. GBX went in-house this time for whatever reasons, so the DLC will be releasing slower - we knew that already from the length of the season pass. Complaining they should have released everything faster is not constructive: first, it’s too late; and second, that may not have been wise.

I get that from the PoV of those who sank massive amounts of time into BL3 from day 1 that there are some who find themselves at a loose end now. But I don’t think the answer to that is GBX rushing content out the door.

2 Likes

Invinceable Pyro Pete!

Good call!

“smarter” is entirely subjective. Gearbox obviously have reasons for bringing the production in-house that you’re going to find it very hard to comment on (as you’re not working there. @dpresnell tries to offer another motivation, but falls short because they have no idea of the relative costs involved. As someone who works in software, trust me, outsourcing is not typically done because of its expense).

Besides, I strongly disagree with your appraisal of the BL2 DLC entries, which is the benchmark you then use to criticise BL3’s offerings.

With your memory, can you remember the common criticisms of the excessive walking in the Big Game Hunt? Among other things, for sure. The only DLC that was uniformly praised was TTAoDK. Meanwhile, the DLC entries for BL3 have been considered highlights (contrasted against common complaints of the main story, sure, but highlights nonetheless).

You’re allowed to have high expectations, but likewise these at the same time have to be recognised as your expectations. Gearbox did not promise that BL3 and its DLC would have some kind of quality standard that you personally can vouch for, because that’s impossible. Everyone values content differently. I can make an argument that Gearbox have learned from BL2 and built on it, and you could likely counterargue that. But simply comparing the number of DLCs available isn’t it.

2 Likes

That plus the quality of the BL2 DLCs that have not been developed by Gbx speaks for themselves.
I know, it‘s highly subjective but the quality of the BL3 DLCs is notably higher that Torgue‘s DLC or the sloggy Scarlet‘s …
I do see the raid bosses are missing for people. I have never liked them and it felt boring to go off on them for the umptheenth time for bad, bad, bad drop rates … sure, if sth dropped it would be more likely to be usable due to the differences in loot systems but c‘mon, stuff almost never dropped.
I think the BL3 DLCs are way better than BL2s.
Exception is Tiny Tina‘s which by the way sported bullet spongy enemies compared to the main game.

2 Likes