Context of Steam Charts Data

All games have massive drops like that.
But unless it’s a large brand name or made by blizzard it’s not going to retain many players for competitive type games.
Borderlands only did because it’s casual game.

You can see larger drop offs from CoD games, where the first three days has 20 mil but after you never see it crack 3 mil except maybe during summer break.

Honestly I didn’t even know battleborn was out until I saw someone I follow stream it.
There are ways to drag people back in but most devs don’t hire spin doctors, Activision does and they do well.

All thanks to sales, not the game. Two sales with 40-50% discount on first two months, while BL 1/2/tPS had none.

There’s an important factor these charts can’t show us.
Most likely the same as I have, we each have friends who play/own previous Gearbox titles but they refuse to buy or play Battleborn. It will be hard to get those numbers but they are a major factor.

im confused about that graph.

how can total number of owners go up and down over time?

like… some1 bought it then decided they didnt want it and got a refudn or something?

I guess we can see the first small wave of refunds between 12th-14th June, followed by a wave of new owners with a peak on the 20th June. Then theres another big drop (possibly refunds) with lowest on the 27th June. After that low it seems there were a wave of new buyers again, with a peak on 2nd July.

I don´t know exactly how Steam´s refund policies work, but as I understood it you can refund your game over a quiet long period.
Though its strange to see how fluid that owners-graph is due to refunding people, I think its interesting that the numbers climbed up again so fast after the drop of owners at the 27th June.

Comparing Battleborn to Overwatch is pointless. As a game developer, Blizzard has built a massive fan base over decades, because of that they have near limitless resources to pour into each project. While Overwatch and Battleborn have some similar aspects, they are very different games released by two very different Developers. That said, the verifiable numbers attached to Battleborn are abysmal.

The fact that player activity stabilized at around 1 k, shows that things are bleak. Sure, you can choose to look at it through percentages and compare it to Borderlands, it certainly paints a nicer picture. But your not taking into account the vast difference between Battleborn and Borderlands.

Even if no one was playing Borderlands online, you still had a massive campaign to explore. With Battleborn, if no one is around all you can do is run the same 8 missions. Battleborn NEEDS a vibrant active player base just to enjoy most of it’s features. Borderlands did not. While online activity complimented the game, it wasn’t necessary to enjoy it.

The total number of active players at any given time is too low to sustain a game that is so heavily focused on multiplayer.

2 Likes

Yeah, those drops are too huge to be refunds only. I suppose it’s more of an inaccuracy in counting. As on that picture, “146k +/- 10k owners”, the range is 136k to 156k, pretty wide.

Thank you @sbspalding. I want to be clear, however, that I love Battleborn as a game and really would like to see it grow. I think it Gearbox keeps on making adjustments and improvements, the game will be in a much better place around September and October. It’s just that, at this point in the games life, the active player numbers, especially on PC, are very low and everyone needs to understand that this means Battleborn’s audience is quite niche. All we as players can do it to keep playing and enjoying the game. Hopefully the game can get more exposure once the Broadcaster functionality gets released so spectating games from a more dynamic angle is possible on places like Twitch.

Steam allows for refunds under a certain amount of hours played. This is speculation, but it’s possible people refunded, and then repurchased the game at the sale price, though I’m not 100% sure if Steam allows for this.

1 Like

Probably. I’m not making any claims as to why things look like they do, just that they look like they do.

I hope so too. :slight_smile:

As a PS4 player most of these issues don’t exist for me (PS4 matchmaking on the east-coast of the USA at the times I play has always been between 1-3 minutes), but our cousins on the PC need some help badly.

1 Like

Max that ever peaked 12.000, now 800 peak:

http://steamcharts.com/app/394230

10,000,0000… even dividing it by 38 time zones… still a big number I would say…

12,000… from BB…

not looking good , is it…

What is that 10,000,000 from?

The 10million are OW´s sales as far as I know, not active players. They sold 10million copies, thats a completely different number than current players or players per day/week/average week.

1 Like

General rules for Steam refunds are: 1) you played the game less than 2 hours and 2) you’ve purchased the game less than 2 weeks ago. And yes, you may refund a game (if it’s still refundable) and buy it again for a discount price, it’s allowed.

This thread is dedicated exactly to why you can’t do what you did right here)

If you use 10 mil. for OW, you should use at least 500 thousands for BB (upto 1 mil. probably), because these are numbers of total owners. 12,000 is a number of max. players per hour - on PC only.

4 Likes

Whow, people on PC apparently hate the Pre Sequel which is my second favorite…damn

That’s also across all systems, isn’t it? I swear, Blizzard’s Battle.net just seems deliberately convoluted.

Thank Steam’s Summer Sale, we’re here. PC MASTER RACE!!!

1 Like

Welcome to the Asylum. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gearbox titles for PC are my crack. DON’T JUDGE ME!!

1 Like

Mhh, good question, but I think so, since all websides present this number as “total sales” or alike.
I don´t see the big deal, not even Capcom or SquareEnix can compede with Blizzard, maybe EA and Ubisoft could, but in the end…its Blizzard.

To say “Blizzard had better advertisement!” is like saying “The Sky is blue.” - nothing new and almost always true.

2 Likes