Converting from and to .FDA

So I have been wanting to play around with the voice sounds and replacing tidbits just for my own enjoyment. However for the life of me I cannot convert the .fda files to any .wav or .mp3. I have tried the Relic Audio Converter for DoW and it will not actually create a converted file(Yet it tells me it has). Are these programs non functional and is there another way? Any advice is much appreciated, most of the information on such is nearly a decade old if not a decade.

Thanks.

1 Like

So first of all, .FDA files seem to be the same as .AIFR files.
I just tried this method out and it works with the remastered .FDAs:

1. Download the AIFR decoder from here.
2. Extract dec.exe from the archive.
3. Put your .FDA in the same directory as the decoder.
4. Open a console and browse into the directory.
5. Run the decoder with your .FDA as the first parameter and any filename.WAV as the second.
6. The decoded .WAV file should now be in the specified directory.

You shouldn’t and don’t have to encode them back into a .FDA, Remastered reads .WAV files (I think so). But if you want to, use the enc.exe.

1 Like

Hold on. This is TERRIBLE advice.

• The HWRM FDA format has some minor changes.
  • AIFR isn’t the same format (though I think it is close enough for some government work).
  • HWRM does play WAV, through an entirely different pipeline.
    – That pipeline doesn’t do ANY of the proper FDA playback processing, meaning no EQ, Reverb, improper spatial handling, no time-stretch/playback speed, etc.

So yeah, don’t.

2 Likes

So is there a new decoder/encoder available from Gearbox?

No, there most likely never will be. I’m much less concerned about format differences than I am about equating WAV playback to FDA, given the massive degree to which those paths are different…

2 Likes

So we have no way to use new audio files ? (or is the aifr thing ok for totally new files ?)

2 Likes

There is also a winamp plugin for decoding AIFx files from relic, but that isn’t much better I suppose.

1 Like

Indeed I am a bit confused on that as well.

The first solution sounded pretty simple, but is it such a poor method that we just shouldn’t even bother changing sound files? I mean in a few mods I have heard replaced sounds that were alright, maybe I am just too ignorant on the matter though. I’m a newbie to this stuff by the way, so I may say stupid stuff lol.

Apparently I suck at replying on this forum too.

1 Like

Yea I saw that in my search yesterday, never tried it yet. Wasn’t sure if it was still working considering a few of the older Relic tools weren’t doing much good

1 Like

It works for me, even on the newest Winamp version, but considering what @BitVenom said…

1 Like

Yea, well I guess we have to make do with what we have sometimes.

1 Like

If you are talking about decoding and re-encoding FDA, that’s a bad idea as well - it’s effectively the same issue as taking a JPG, making an edit, saving back to JPG - only FDA is ‘old school’ frequency domain audio (fda, get it) - and not terribly robust either.

Going from a clean WAV source to FDA is fine, easy, and the community certainly has tools proven to work, has for more than a decade.

3 Likes

Ah yes, that is perfectly fine for me then. Though could you possibly point me to one of these tools? I honestly for the life of me am cannot get any of the tools I have tried to work.

Nevermind, I am an idiot. Got the tools working.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. I was confused after your first post :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am taking it from this comment that we shouldn’t use wav files for any sound that is in the ‘game space’ then? (voice an UI can be Wav since effects are usually not wanted…?)

2 Likes

3D space and WAVs don’t mix…

3 Likes

[This thread] (https://www.reddit.com/r/homeworld/comments/40qejd/ive_extracted_and_converted_all_of_the_homeworld/?) is about battle chatter, specifically. The tracks would not have equalizing, reverb, 3D spacial manipulation, etc. if left in WAV format, and converting back to FDA would still degrade audio quality.

furthermore, I’m pretty sure that the effects lost during the FDA=>WAV conversion would be lost for good, even if converted back to FDA

is the enc.exe good enough for taking custom sounds and properly setting them up? I am familiar with the lua settings for the equalizers and everything was exported to fda previously in my mods. Though I always had a few sounds that had really weird levels and needed a lot more tweaking than others.